[REMOVE ADS]

Motown mogul Berry Gordy announces retirement at 89

DETROIT — Sep 23, 2019, 3

The Motown mogul who launched the careers of numerous stars like Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross and Michael Jackson has announced his retirement.

The Detroit Free Press reports Berry Gordy said he had "come full circle" at a 60th anniversary event for Motown Records on Sunday.

The 89-year-old Detroit native built Motown Records into a hit-making music, film and television empire that shattered racial barriers and introduced the world at large to the sounds of R&B, soul and funk. Gordy sold the record label in 1988, but remained active, developing a musical and staying involved with the Motown Museum's $50 million expansion campaign.

Speaking about retirement, Gordy said he has "dreamed about it, talked about it, threatened it" for years.

Director Lee Daniels also presented Gordy with the Motown Legacy honor.

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment...nt-89-65794318

Berry Gordy addresses a crowd at Detroit's Orchestra Hall on Sunday night as director Lee Daniels holds Gordy's Motown Legacy Award. [[Photo: Motown Museum)

The Chairman has stepped down — and likely taken his final bow in Detroit.

Berry Gordy, the Detroit native who built Motown Records from a shoestring operation into a music, film and television empire, told a hometown crowd Sunday night that he is at last retiring.

"I have come full circle," he said onstage during Motown's 60th anniversary program at Orchestra Hall. "It is only appropriate [[to announce this) while here in Detroit, the city where my fairy tale happened with all of you."

The enterprising Gordy helped revolutionize American and global culture via Motown, shepherding young Detroit talent and eventually churning out stars such as Diana Ross & the Supremes, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, the Temptations and the Jackson 5.

Although Gordy sold the record label in 1988 and later parceled off its song-publishing arm, the 89-year-old has remained very much in the business of Motown. In recent years, his creative pursuits have included a Broadway musical and a Showtime documentary about the company.

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...od/2416362001/
    Last edited by milven; 09-23-2019 at 07:50 AM.

Congratulations to Berry Gordy on the news of his retirement [[and thanks for sharing Milven).

Well deserved retirement after 60 years!

Say it ain't so berry,say it ain't so!!

Congratulations Mr. Gordy!

Well deserved Mr Gordy and may God continue to bless this amazing man.

I thought Berry was already retired, or at least semiretired. Congrats Mr. Gordy! Enjoy the rest of your autumn years.

Good. Now he has time to join Soulful Detroit and set the record straight.
    May he enjoy many years of retirement.

Wow. May Mr. Gordy have a very happy and well-deserved retirement. His musical legacy will live on in our hearts [[and ears) forever.

Knowing Berry Gordy, he is still going to stay active in some regard.

I thought he was already retired. What has be been doing? He looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    I thought he was already retired. What has be been doing? He looks great.
    The Gordy's have longevity in their family. Mr. Gordy's dad live to 90 and I believe his mom lived to around that. Mrs. Edwards was like 96 when she passed. Berry Gordy Jr still plays tennis!

Many Thanks! Mr Gordy for all the many musical years of joy and artists you have brought to us, we will always be in your debt, somehow I can not vision you disappearing completely, wish you all The Best in Retirement!

I also thought he was retired. What has he been doing til now?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I also thought he was retired. What has he been doing til now?
    Probably working as a Wal-Mart greeter! JK! He was actually busy keeping the Motown legacy alive by working on his Autobiography and as a producer of Motown related TV specials and the Motown Musical. I think he was also involved in early volumes of the TCMS collection.

I will treasure a framed photo of Mr. Gordy, me and his brother Robert we took at New Center in Detroit years ago.

Oh and my autographed copy of his "To Be Loved". He writes big. LOL!

Happy retirement Berry! [[I kinda already thought you were, but now you are properly, so happy retirement! )