[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Book - "Come And Get These Memories"

On October 3, 2019, "Come And Get These Memories: The Genius Of Holland-Dozier-Holland", co-authored by Eddie Holland and Brian Holland with Dave Thompson, will be available from Amazon [[U.S.). The current price is quoted as $28.99. [[Hardcover)

Come and Get These Memories: The Story of Holland-Dozier-Holland https://www.amazon.com/dp/1785588672..._C2dIDbY395ST8

The book's description is as follows:

Brian Holland, Edward Holland, and Lamont Dozier, known as Holland-Dozier-Holland or H-D-H, were the greatest songwriting team in American pop music history. Seventy of the songs they wrote reached the Billboard Top 40, with 15 of these reaching No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 pop chart. No other songwriting team or individual has come close to equaling, let alone surpassing, this record. They’ve been inducted into both the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the Songwriters Hall of Fame. As tunesmiths for the legendary Motown Record Corporation, and for their own corporations, Invictus Records and Hot Wax Records, they wrote and produced hits for Diana Ross and the Supremes, including “Baby Love,” “Stop! In the Name of Love,” “Where Did Our Love Go,” “You Keep Me Hangin’ On,” “You Can’t Hurry Love,” “I Hear a Symphony,” “Come See About Me,” “Back in My Arms Again” and “Reflections.” Now the legendary composers are ready to reveal the inspirations and stories behind their chart-topping hits, providing millions of fans with the first complete history of their songwriting process, and detail the real-life experiences that led them to write each of their most famous tunes. They will also reveal their creative and intimate relationships with Motown’s biggest stars.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 09-23-2019 at 12:01 AM.

I'm getting this book when it comes out! Come And Get These Memories should be a great read with a lot of inside information on both Motown & Invictus/Hot Wax.

I'll check it out.

THe Holland Brothers' book is referenced here:

https://classic.motown.com/story/sto...-the-image-15/

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    THe Holland Brothers' book is referenced here:

https://classic.motown.com/story/sto...-the-image-15/
    Hey, thanks, Lucky! You've whet my whistle!
    Can't wait for the Hollands' book as well as Lamont's!

Sounds great. Will be getting it as soon as i can.

This sounds worth buying

Sounds like a great find, PMGary; thanks! I hope we generate lots of positive conversations about this book -

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    Sounds great. Will be getting it as soon as i can.
    Won't be long, Levi's Tears! It's being released this coming Thursday!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    This sounds worth buying
    Yes, indeed, Rob! Looking forward to Lamont's book, too.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Sounds like a great find, PMGary; thanks! I hope we generate lots of positive conversations about this book -
    You're welcome, Peace. Here's hoping that between the two books by the Hollands and Lamont, there will be lots of conversations -- yeah, hopefully positive!

Just got an email from Amazon. My copy of Brian & Eddie Holland's book has shipped and will arrive on Thursday. Can't wait!

Come And Get These Memories is a great name for a book.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Come And Get These Memories is a great name for a book.
    Yes, it is, Tom. Indubitably!

Looks like the eBook version doesn't come out until the 17th.

I have my copy of Come And Get These Memories and I can't wait to dig into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I have my copy of Come And Get These Memories and I can't wait to dig into it.
    Got my copy yesterday, too, Eddie. No time to read it yet, though, as I'm too busy preparing the next Phil Spector thread. I did notice, however, that there aren't many photos. When I opened it to the center of the book -- expecting to see countless photos of The Supremes, Four Tops, Martha & The Vandellas, The Temptations, Jr. Walker, The Elgins, Shorty Long, and all of the artists who H-D-H produced, there were none. The few photos that are scattered throughout are mostly Holland family photos with only two Motown-artist photos -- a beautiful one of Diana and a horrible shot of Mary. Kinda disappointing. But keeping the faith that it'll be an exciting read!

Probably it would also work as a song title, but don't tell anyone that, as I may want to use it next time I write a song and may not be able to if anyone else already used it.

Quote Originally Posted by benross View Post
    Probably it would also work as a song title, but don't tell anyone that, as I may want to use it next time I write a song and may not be able to if anyone else already used it.
    Ha! I won't tell Martha & The Vandellas if you don't! LOL!!!

Aahh

recollections of me and Tony serenading Pat & Sue with "Come and get these memories" in Piccadilly Bus Station, Manchester... prior to catching the allnight bus, prior to a Bank Holiday trip to Blackpool in the morning.....circa 1970. [[ you had to be there...and British I suppose).
    Last edited by snakepit; 10-05-2019 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Got my copy yesterday, too, Eddie. No time to read it yet, though, as I'm too busy preparing the next Phil Spector thread. I did notice, however, that there aren't many photos. When I opened it to the center of the book -- expecting to see countless photos of The Supremes, Four Tops, Martha & The Vandellas, The Temptations, Jr. Walker, The Elgins, Shorty Long, and all of the artists who H-D-H produced, there were none. The few photos that are scattered throughout are mostly Holland family photos with only two Motown-artist photos -- a beautiful one of Diana and a horrible shot of Mary. Kinda disappointing. But keeping the faith that it'll be an exciting read!
    They mixed up Brian and Eddie in the credits on page 41

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    They mixed up Brian and Eddie in the credits on page 41
    I just checked my copy. They sure did, boyfromxtown!

Is it worth getting?

I saw this at Barnes and Nobles yesterday; however, I will hold off on purchasing it right now [[I am sure I will later). From the pages I was able to peruse, it appeared that the focus was on how the idea for some of their particular hits came to mind. I didn't see much regarding the actual recording sessions; although that might be because I didn't skim the whole book.

When I placed my order for the book with Amazon.com, I was enrolled automatically in the lowest price guarantee, namely, if the price goes down before it is shipped, I will be refunded the difference. MUCH TO MY SURPRISE, I just got notification that the price when I placed the order was $28.99 and it has now dropped to $27.95 meaning I will be getting a refund of a whole $1.04. I can save that towards How Sweet It Is which is coming in the near future.

Any reviews..is it worth buying?

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Any reviews..is it worth buying?
    Yes,it is worth acquiring. It gives the reader a closer look into what made them the legends that they are. Of course I'm not done with the book, but I've bursted out in laughter many times since I started the book. Eddie is the primary narrator and basically the voice in the book. Brian makes a statement here and there,his biggest contribution is when he talks about his marriage to his first wife[[a must read)and how he crafted the melodies with Lamont. There's much info about the complexities of their friendship with Lamont too, largely told by Eddie. If I can tell you anything without telling much it's that nothing is really as we thought it was with these guys. We didn't know as much as we thought we did. Lamont's book in many ways will accompany and answer this book, but until then get this one.

Many thanks Quinn..appreciated.

Yes, it is, Tom. Indubitably!
    And what a great word Gary!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    Yes,it is worth acquiring. It gives the reader a closer look into what made them the legends that they are. Of course I'm not done with the book, but I've bursted out in laughter many times since I started the book. Eddie is the primary narrator and basically the voice in the book. Brian makes a statement here and there,his biggest contribution is when he talks about his marriage to his first wife[[a must read)and how he crafted the melodies with Lamont. There's much info about the complexities of their friendship with Lamont too, largely told by Eddie. If I can tell you anything without telling much it's that nothing is really as we thought it was with these guys. We didn't know as much as we thought we did. Lamont's book in many ways will accompany and answer this book, but until then get this one.
    I've finished reading my copy of CAGTM and without giving away any "spoilers" I say it's essential reading for Motown fans [[and yes indeed, 'Nothing is really as we thought it was' when it comes to HDH).

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    And what a great word Gary!!!
    Ha! Yes it is, Tom -- undoubtedly!!!

At this point I am up to the beginning days of Motown. As a fan of family, I absolutely loved reading about the Holland Brothers growing up and how the experiences shaped who they are. I agree with Quinn that when we have the Mr. Lamont Dozier book as a companion piece, we will have a clearer idea of these august personages and how they produced the body of work that they did..
    Without giving too much away, I looked at the appendix of all of the songs that were written, produced, and recorded by these two and it is a simply staggering amount of material. To say nothing about the success that they had with in a word, masterpieces. Given that, they are coming off as very humble human beings.

I read this book this weekend and although I enjoyed it, I did not learn anything really new . I thought the first record they had as HDH was "Locking Up My Heart". Also in the back of the book "Locking Up My Heart" is listed by Martha & the Marvelettes, LOL

Just starting to read the book.
    I wonder where the informations about the hits come from.
    Did the Temptations’ « A Tear From a Woman’s Eye » really charted at number 3 in 1964? [[Page 319, as part of the selected discography)
    Oops...
    Now it’s what in the text that counts!
    JB

Just read a few pages from a friend's copy and was immediately drawn in. Buying asap

The same for me, I was expecting many color pictures!

Eddie Holland should take up politics.
    He would be ideal as a spin doctor.

I was disappointed in the book. It's basically from Eddie's perspective, Brian chimes in once in awhile. I ended up not liking Eddie for a number of reasons. I'm not sure why he painted himself as he did or if he was even aware of how he was coming across. The book is a pasting of anecdotes, like having a tape recorder going and then piecing bits and pieces together.
    2 things: [[1) He says Where did our love go, was written specifically for the Supremes, he wanted Mary to sing it, but was overruled because Diana was the lead, and they lowered the key to get the feel that he [[Eddie) wanted. He thought Diana sang too high at that time. No mention of the Marvellettes and the song.
    [[2) Brian and Diana were an item while he was still married. He called it off. He was very effusive and complimentary about her character, her nicesness, her sweetness...a lovely person he wanted to be with.
    Some minimal stuff about the failure of Invictus, Hot Wax, and Music Merchant.
    I hope Lamont's is better written and more interesting.

Another point. On the song Reflections he talks about Lawrence Horn coming up with the
    outer world sound, but I've always read that it was Russ Terrana. He doesn't mention Russ
    anywhere in the book, but mentions Lawrence Horn at least twice.

I agree with you drlorne.
    I have mixed feelings regarding the book, but I would recommend it to any Motown fan .

On the plus side, there are a number of stories dealing with the early days of HDH and their role at Motown. It was helpful to read this from another angle, although nothing really revealing.

However, as I stated above, EH would be a successful politician/spin doctor.
    He seems to be very skilled at deflecting issues and giving a very selective answer to questions we have wanted to ask for years.
    My main interest is in the falling out/Leaving Motown. I immediately went to those chapters , and Found a smokescreen to be honest.
    He continually says " it wasn't about money", yet virtually all the book is about EH wanting money.
    The book is full of contradictions.
    He claims he wanted Brian to get better royalties...no mention of Lamont Dozier.
    Then he wanted stock [[ which Gordy offered). He wasn't happy with that.
    He claims it was about a HDH label...why didn't he called Invictus "HDH"
    He says he didn't want " fame"....yet cries that nobody knew HDH's name.
    Gordy tried to talk EH into a agreement [[ which EH states was impressive) but then said no, and touted for better offers elsewhere.
    He complains the row went too far...and that a telephone call could have settled it. Yet he turned Gordy down before [[ see above)

I think it was ALL about money.
    Two massive things happened to create this situation, one Gordy couldn't control, and the other a massive mistake on his part.
    Namely,in late 1966, Mickey Stevenson left after receiving an offer from MGM that Gordy couldn't, or wouldn't match.
    He then appointed EH to A&R manager. This gave EH great power.
    I believe that EH took the opportunity to challenge Gordy for more money.
    He claims he tried to save Motown money by preparing reports on studio costs and a comparison of productions/Hit Record ratios.
    I think this was EH loading bullets for his gun, claiming that HDH were making all the money from their hits. Of course he doesn't admit that they had the 'lock' on DRATS/Four Tops.....they were bound to have the best results.

BTW there is ,what appears to me, a spiteful comment on an unnamed producer/team whose ratio of hits/studio costs seem to annoy him.
    I think I know who hr might mean, because virtually every Hitsvillr staffer gets mentioned in book apart from him. A ridiculous omission.

His dealings when setting up Invictus/Hot Wax again is dominated by money.
    There is no problem with getting the best deal..but why not just admit that he wanted a better deal at Motown because he believed He deserved it. No shame in that at all. But it seems SO hard to say...
    " I wanted a better pay cheque"......

Quote Originally Posted by drlorne View Post
    I was disappointed in the book. It's basically from Eddie's perspective, Brian chimes in once in awhile. I ended up not liking Eddie for a number of reasons. I'm not sure why he painted himself as he did or if he was even aware of how he was coming across. The book is a pasting of anecdotes, like having a tape recorder going and then piecing bits and pieces together.
    2 things: [[1) He says Where did our love go, was written specifically for the Supremes, he wanted Mary to sing it, but was overruled because Diana was the lead, and they lowered the key to get the feel that he [[Eddie) wanted. He thought Diana sang too high at that time. No mention of the Marvellettes and the song.
    [[2) Brian and Diana were an item while he was still married. He called it off. He was very effusive and complimentary about her character, her nicesness, her sweetness...a lovely person he wanted to be with.
    Some minimal stuff about the failure of Invictus, Hot Wax, and Music Merchant.
    I hope Lamont's is better written and more interesting.
    Drlorne

If you read Barney Ales' forward, he states that WDOLG was Never intended for Marvelettes..it was always written for DRATS.

Yes, so many inconsistencies...about his decisions and it was obvious it was about money.
    I thought it was funny because at one point in the book, they want to relax so they went to the racetrack and he mentions they had just bought 6 race horses. He wanted more money and more power. It makes you wonder if the failure of Invictus might have been due to this blind side of his personality.
    I think the book was a lazy man's undertaking, just to make money.
    I hope Lamont Dozier's book is better written and more detailed about the writing process and has more information about the producing and background to their songs.

Quote Originally Posted by drlorne View Post
    I think the book was a lazy man's undertaking, just to make money.
    I hope Lamont Dozier's book is better written and more detailed about the writing process and has more information about the producing and background to their songs.
    I have not bought the book yet, so I know this is premature, but some of the comments so far struck a chord with me about some of these books. I've bought quite a few books on Motown and the thing I've found is that there are a couple that call to mind the term "Vanity Press". These are books that seem to be written completely by someone who doesn't really have a grasp for how to write in detail, depth and with no real sense of narrative. These books are nothing more than very, VERY short sentences strung together as opposed to paragraphs that give context, detail and a sense of some kind of drama that makes us want to read on. The major publishing houses would pass on them in a second, but it's fairly easy to get anything published- if you pay them enough.

I don't know if the person[[s) writing these types of books are working with professional editors or not. Someone who could prod the subject to really get into something with "meat on its bones" to grip the reader's attention. Instead, we get not much more than heavily sanitized anecdotes that give no real background or motive for why this or that happened, why this or that turned out as it did. Some of these books read like nothing short of Dear Diary entries strung together.

I'd have to say, for better or worse, Mary Wilson's books were very involving and interesting reading. I'm not talking about accuracy here or whether or not you like the woman, but I'm dealing with the art of writing in a way that draws someone in. If the book angers you, fine. At least it elicited some kind of emotional response. Some of the books I've purchased from former Motowners are so poorly written and short on detail, they don't even get me mad or happy. Just yawning with the sense of not learning anything new.

If Lamont was astute enough to get an editor who was smart enough to encourage him not to try to make himself out a flawless, saintly human, maybe we'll get something that will make us jump up and down.

I have a number of Motown books. In terms of detail , it is one of the better ones.
    The narrative is mainly EH but then we are given "quotes" by...EH! So much of it must be co writer Dave Thompson.

Like I have said, the main interest for me is the "strike". EH apparently 'walked out' in 1961 because of his lack of royalties on "Jamie". Motown was trying to build itself into a viable record label..early days...and if he had built a career around a few hits, money would have come, even if only in stage appearances.
    Of course we know he didn't want to do that. Not much money would be made on sales alone.
    By late 1966 Motown was making big money after lots of hits and presumably TV and theatre bookings [[ How much were DRATS / Motown getting for Las Vegas bookings). I think a number of employees at the 'coal face' ...artists, musicians, writers /producers/ arrangers etc were able to see certain staff at the high end were receiving big rewards. A lot of unrest was brewing, and with Gordy frequently absent with DRATS, the atmosphere must have been festering. I think EH tapped into this, and knowing that HDH were so important, took his chance to challenge Berry.
    By making him head of A&R, he had given EH a strong bargaining chip.

It's human nature to want to be rewarded for your hard work, skills and talent. If your employer does not want to meet your idea of your worth, you might look for another job/position.
    I think EH has a beef that their contracts/royalty rates are on a par with other, less sucessful writers.
    But as HDH had big hits, they were getting bigger rewards.
    The 'internal' report, and the slight of the unnamed producer is telling.
    BTW any idea to whom he is refering to?

The way he deals with 'Edith Wayne" is laughable. I presume.a.lawsuit might be around the corner. We have bern told she was an office.cleaner..or a ficticious name of Lamont's teacher..
    We know find out that she was in fact EH girlfriend/wife . We all know HDH wrote those early songs under her name
    But the way he avoids telling us is in keeping with a lot of his narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    I have a number of Motown books. In terms of detail , it is one of the better ones.
    The narrative is mainly EH but then we are given "quotes" by...EH! So much of it must be co writer Dave Thompson.

Like I have said, the main interest for me is the "strike". EH apparently 'walked out' in 1961 because of his lack of royalties on "Jamie". Motown was trying to build itself into a viable record label..early days...and if he had built a career around a few hits, money would have come, even if only in stage appearances.
    Of course we know he didn't want to do that. Not much money would be made on sales alone.
    By late 1966 Motown was making big money after lots of hits and presumably TV and theatre bookings [[ How much were DRATS / Motown getting for Las Vegas bookings). I think a number of employees at the 'coal face' ...artists, musicians, writers /producers/ arrangers etc were able to see certain staff at the high end were receiving big rewards. A lot of unrest was brewing, and with Gordy frequently absent with DRATS, the atmosphere must have been festering. I think EH tapped into this, and knowing that HDH were so important, took his chance to challenge Berry.
    By making him head of A&R, he had given EH a strong bargaining chip.

It's human nature to want to be rewarded for your hard work, skills and talent. If your employer does not want to meet your idea of your worth, you might look for another job/position.
    I think EH has a beef that their contracts/royalty rates are on a par with other, less sucessful writers.
    But as HDH had big hits, they were getting bigger rewards.
    The 'internal' report, and the slight of the unnamed producer is telling.
    BTW any idea to whom he is refering to?

The way he deals with 'Edith Wayne" is laughable. I presume.a.lawsuit might be around the corner. We have bern told she was an office.cleaner..or a ficticious name of Lamont's teacher..
    We know find out that she was in fact EH girlfriend/wife . We all know HDH wrote those early songs under her name
    But the way he avoids telling us is in keeping with a lot of his narrative.
    Thanks snakepit , I'm getting a lot out of your comments. Too bad you weren't the editor !! You could've steered the narrative and given Eddie the needed push. I think a lot of times the writers don't understand what it is the readers are seeking, or they mostly hold back and don't want to do an honest reveal. For me, there never seems to be enough about the music itself and its making.

Boogiedown,
    I would recommend the book to you.
    There are lots of details a Motown collector will find useful.

By and large , it flows well in respect of Motown chronolgy. Some details are incorrect but not as bad some other books.
    The issue for me is EH constantly equating everything to money [[ or lack of it) and then using verbal gymnastics to try to persuade us that money was not the reason for him leaving.
    Some things that come out of the story. It appears he left on his own....Brian and Lamont apprer to be somewhat railroaded into leaving.
    EH was clearly having discussions with other labels and playing one of against the other. His demands must have worn Berry down, and he eventually handed it all to his admin/legal team.
    EH's ego wanted a fight....and the rest is history.

At last my signed copy of Lamont's book arrived yesterday [[New Year's Eve) took a while posted from USA 13th December, well worth waiting for, great signature, love the cover, and good reading so far, also impressed to have the free CD in the back page.

Read about WDOLG in Lamont Doziers book.Thats the story I remember decades ago.

13% of the way through the book on my kindle - it says

I’ve read that WDOLG was written for the Supremes only

Other than that a lot about aunts uncles grandparents that isn’t very cohesive and doesn’t create much of a narrative

Hoping to move along quite quickly

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    13% of the way through the book on my kindle - it says

I’ve read that WDOLG was written for the Supremes only

Other than that a lot about aunts uncles grandparents that isn’t very cohesive and doesn’t create much of a narrative

Hoping to move along quite quickly
    Interesting comments and look forward to hearing more of your views.