[REMOVE ADS]

New Book - "Come And Get These Memories"

On October 3, 2019, "Come And Get These Memories: The Genius Of Holland-Dozier-Holland", co-authored by Eddie Holland and Brian Holland with Dave Thompson, will be available from Amazon (U.S.). The current price is quoted as $28.99. (Hardcover)

Come and Get These Memories: The Story of Holland-Dozier-Holland https://www.amazon.com/dp/1785588672..._C2dIDbY395ST8

The book's description is as follows:

Brian Holland, Edward Holland, and Lamont Dozier, known as Holland-Dozier-Holland or H-D-H, were the greatest songwriting team in American pop music history. Seventy of the songs they wrote reached the Billboard Top 40, with 15 of these reaching No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 pop chart. No other songwriting team or individual has come close to equaling, let alone surpassing, this record. They’ve been inducted into both the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the Songwriters Hall of Fame. As tunesmiths for the legendary Motown Record Corporation, and for their own corporations, Invictus Records and Hot Wax Records, they wrote and produced hits for Diana Ross and the Supremes, including “Baby Love,” “Stop! In the Name of Love,” “Where Did Our Love Go,” “You Keep Me Hangin’ On,” “You Can’t Hurry Love,” “I Hear a Symphony,” “Come See About Me,” “Back in My Arms Again” and “Reflections.” Now the legendary composers are ready to reveal the inspirations and stories behind their chart-topping hits, providing millions of fans with the first complete history of their songwriting process, and detail the real-life experiences that led them to write each of their most famous tunes. They will also reveal their creative and intimate relationships with Motown’s biggest stars.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 09-23-2019 at 12:01 AM.

I'm getting this book when it comes out! Come And Get These Memories should be a great read with a lot of inside information on both Motown & Invictus/Hot Wax.

I'll check it out.

THe Holland Brothers' book is referenced here:

https://classic.motown.com/story/sto...-the-image-15/

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    THe Holland Brothers' book is referenced here:

https://classic.motown.com/story/sto...-the-image-15/
    Hey, thanks, Lucky! You've whet my whistle!
    Can't wait for the Hollands' book as well as Lamont's!

Sounds great. Will be getting it as soon as i can.

This sounds worth buying

Sounds like a great find, PMGary; thanks! I hope we generate lots of positive conversations about this book -

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    Sounds great. Will be getting it as soon as i can.
    Won't be long, Levi's Tears! It's being released this coming Thursday!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    This sounds worth buying
    Yes, indeed, Rob! Looking forward to Lamont's book, too.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Sounds like a great find, PMGary; thanks! I hope we generate lots of positive conversations about this book -
    You're welcome, Peace. Here's hoping that between the two books by the Hollands and Lamont, there will be lots of conversations -- yeah, hopefully positive!

Just got an email from Amazon. My copy of Brian & Eddie Holland's book has shipped and will arrive on Thursday. Can't wait!

Come And Get These Memories is a great name for a book.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Come And Get These Memories is a great name for a book.
    Yes, it is, Tom. Indubitably!

Looks like the eBook version doesn't come out until the 17th.

I have my copy of Come And Get These Memories and I can't wait to dig into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I have my copy of Come And Get These Memories and I can't wait to dig into it.
    Got my copy yesterday, too, Eddie. No time to read it yet, though, as I'm too busy preparing the next Phil Spector thread. I did notice, however, that there aren't many photos. When I opened it to the center of the book -- expecting to see countless photos of The Supremes, Four Tops, Martha & The Vandellas, The Temptations, Jr. Walker, The Elgins, Shorty Long, and all of the artists who H-D-H produced, there were none. The few photos that are scattered throughout are mostly Holland family photos with only two Motown-artist photos -- a beautiful one of Diana and a horrible shot of Mary. Kinda disappointing. But keeping the faith that it'll be an exciting read!

Probably it would also work as a song title, but don't tell anyone that, as I may want to use it next time I write a song and may not be able to if anyone else already used it.

Quote Originally Posted by benross View Post
    Probably it would also work as a song title, but don't tell anyone that, as I may want to use it next time I write a song and may not be able to if anyone else already used it.
    Ha! I won't tell Martha & The Vandellas if you don't! LOL!!!

Aahh

recollections of me and Tony serenading Pat & Sue with "Come and get these memories" in Piccadilly Bus Station, Manchester... prior to catching the allnight bus, prior to a Bank Holiday trip to Blackpool in the morning.....circa 1970. ( you had to be there...and British I suppose).
    Last edited by snakepit; 10-05-2019 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Got my copy yesterday, too, Eddie. No time to read it yet, though, as I'm too busy preparing the next Phil Spector thread. I did notice, however, that there aren't many photos. When I opened it to the center of the book -- expecting to see countless photos of The Supremes, Four Tops, Martha & The Vandellas, The Temptations, Jr. Walker, The Elgins, Shorty Long, and all of the artists who H-D-H produced, there were none. The few photos that are scattered throughout are mostly Holland family photos with only two Motown-artist photos -- a beautiful one of Diana and a horrible shot of Mary. Kinda disappointing. But keeping the faith that it'll be an exciting read!
    They mixed up Brian and Eddie in the credits on page 41

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    They mixed up Brian and Eddie in the credits on page 41
    I just checked my copy. They sure did, boyfromxtown!

Is it worth getting?

I saw this at Barnes and Nobles yesterday; however, I will hold off on purchasing it right now (I am sure I will later). From the pages I was able to peruse, it appeared that the focus was on how the idea for some of their particular hits came to mind. I didn't see much regarding the actual recording sessions; although that might be because I didn't skim the whole book.

When I placed my order for the book with Amazon.com, I was enrolled automatically in the lowest price guarantee, namely, if the price goes down before it is shipped, I will be refunded the difference. MUCH TO MY SURPRISE, I just got notification that the price when I placed the order was $28.99 and it has now dropped to $27.95 meaning I will be getting a refund of a whole $1.04. I can save that towards How Sweet It Is which is coming in the near future.

Any reviews..is it worth buying?

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Any reviews..is it worth buying?
    Yes,it is worth acquiring. It gives the reader a closer look into what made them the legends that they are. Of course I'm not done with the book, but I've bursted out in laughter many times since I started the book. Eddie is the primary narrator and basically the voice in the book. Brian makes a statement here and there,his biggest contribution is when he talks about his marriage to his first wife(a must read)and how he crafted the melodies with Lamont. There's much info about the complexities of their friendship with Lamont too, largely told by Eddie. If I can tell you anything without telling much it's that nothing is really as we thought it was with these guys. We didn't know as much as we thought we did. Lamont's book in many ways will accompany and answer this book, but until then get this one.

Many thanks Quinn..appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Yes, it is, Tom. Indubitably!
    And what a great word Gary!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    Yes,it is worth acquiring. It gives the reader a closer look into what made them the legends that they are. Of course I'm not done with the book, but I've bursted out in laughter many times since I started the book. Eddie is the primary narrator and basically the voice in the book. Brian makes a statement here and there,his biggest contribution is when he talks about his marriage to his first wife(a must read)and how he crafted the melodies with Lamont. There's much info about the complexities of their friendship with Lamont too, largely told by Eddie. If I can tell you anything without telling much it's that nothing is really as we thought it was with these guys. We didn't know as much as we thought we did. Lamont's book in many ways will accompany and answer this book, but until then get this one.
    I've finished reading my copy of CAGTM and without giving away any "spoilers" I say it's essential reading for Motown fans (and yes indeed, 'Nothing is really as we thought it was' when it comes to HDH).

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    And what a great word Gary!!!
    Ha! Yes it is, Tom -- undoubtedly!!!

At this point I am up to the beginning days of Motown. As a fan of family, I absolutely loved reading about the Holland Brothers growing up and how the experiences shaped who they are. I agree with Quinn that when we have the Mr. Lamont Dozier book as a companion piece, we will have a clearer idea of these august personages and how they produced the body of work that they did..
    Without giving too much away, I looked at the appendix of all of the songs that were written, produced, and recorded by these two and it is a simply staggering amount of material. To say nothing about the success that they had with in a word, masterpieces. Given that, they are coming off as very humble human beings.

I read this book this weekend and although I enjoyed it, I did not learn anything really new . I thought the first record they had as HDH was "Locking Up My Heart". Also in the back of the book "Locking Up My Heart" is listed by Martha & the Marvelettes, LOL

Just starting to read the book.
    I wonder where the informations about the hits come from.
    Did the Temptations’ « A Tear From a Woman’s Eye » really charted at number 3 in 1964? (Page 319, as part of the selected discography)
    Oops...
    Now it’s what in the text that counts!
    JB

Just read a few pages from a friend's copy and was immediately drawn in. Buying asap