[REMOVE ADS]

Kent soul in the 1960s

Hi!

Do you remember Kent/Modern Records from the 1960s. I really liked their output. Now there's a new compilation of their product, but not the best, I'm afraid:

https://www.soulexpress.net/va_lasoul_vol2.htm

Best regards
    Heikki

Quote Originally Posted by heikki View Post
    Hi!

Do you remember Kent/Modern Records from the 1960s. I really liked their output. Now there's a new compilation of their product, but not the best, I'm afraid:

Best regards
    Heikki
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  21.1 KB
    This grouping of recordings from Kent-Modern is "not their best material" because Ace/Kent has already released CDs containing their hit songs by Mary Love, Ike & Tina Turner, Felice Taylor, etc. This CD has much more obscure recordings to please the Funky Soul, Southern Soul, raunchy Soul, and Bluesy Soul fans, and the fans of obscure, previously unheard Soul cuts. In my opinion, it does quite a good job of that. I've looked through literally millions of 45 rpm records in the 1960s and early 1970s, [[many of those in Los Angeles between 1963 and 1972) and I never saw records containing many of these.

Hi!

Best regards
    Heikki
    It's merely okay Heikki. Not a bad compilation, but nowhere near one of their best, but i am always interested in Kent releases and always will be. Take care.

Hi!

Best regards
    Heikki
    Love the Kent label, Heikki - thanks for the news!

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 331
    This grouping of recordings from Kent-Modern is "not their best material" because Ace/Kent has already released CDs containing their hit songs by Mary Love, Ike & Tina Turner, Felice Taylor, etc. This CD has much more obscure recordings to please the Funky Soul, Southern Soul, raunchy Soul, and Bluesy Soul fans, and the fans of obscure, previously unheard Soul cuts. In my opinion, it does quite a good job of that. I've looked through literally millions of 45 rpm records in the 1960s and early 1970s, [[many of those in Los Angeles between 1963 and 1972) and I never saw records containing many of these.
    I do not know any of these songs so would probably not buy this collection. But what release are you referring to that has other Felice Taylor material on it? I had always understood that she did not even record enough to ever have an anthology of her own. So are you referring to a previous compilation CD?

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I do not know any of these songs so would probably not buy this collection. But what release are you referring to that has other Felice Taylor material on it? I had always understood that she did not even record enough to ever have an anthology of her own. So are you referring to a previous compilation CD?
Views: 215
    I'm sure that Felice Taylor didn't record enough songs for an anthology tape. Yes, I was referring to compilation CDs.
    You can listen to snippets of each song to decide if there are enough songs you would like, to make an informed decision to buy it or not.