[REMOVE ADS]

The Temptations- HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS

A complete soulful masterpiece. Quality control did not do their job. This is what their career should have been composed of. Sad Norman did what he did. https://youtu.be/WNOmeiVEMR0

I agree wholeheartedly! I also enjoyed “Pretty Little Brown Skin Girl”, first time in a long time an unreleased track with Dennis Edwards singing has turned up. I can understand why THAT song was unreleased [[ the Tempts’ reputation would have suffered tremendously), there’s no excuse why we’re just now hearing “Home Is Where the Heart Is”. This is hands down one of Eddie’s best leads, not to mention Smokey’s best songs.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly! I also enjoyed “Pretty Little Brown Skin Girl”, first time in a long time an unreleased track with Dennis Edwards singing has turned up. I can understand why THAT song was unreleased [[ the Tempts’ reputation would have suffered tremendously), there’s no excuse why we’re just now hearing “Home Is Where the Heart Is”. This is hands down one of Eddie’s best leads, not to mention Smokey’s best songs.
    Oh love PRETTY LITTLE BROWN SKIN GIRL too. What a better album COULD NINE could've been.

Hate to be the one who goes against the grain,but I hear absolutely no hit potential in this song. As much of as a genius Smokey Robinson is,if I heard this on an album or even on the radio I wouldn't pay a great deal of attention to it.It just lacks an edge in addition to having predictable chord structure.I would've voted no too. There's a difference in listening as a fan who likes music and an executive or administrator who has to INVEST in what's being listened to. Next time you play it,imagine Smokey running up to you excited with the master tape to this song and asked to loan five thousand dollars to release it as a single and see if you feel the same.When the song fades are you in a hurry to pull out your checkbook? or will you have to "think about it" to ultimately say no?.

I think the track Home Is Where The Heart Is is one of the STANDOUT tracks on this collection. It's beautiful.
    And doesn't Pretty Little Brown Little Brownskinned Girl have multiple leads? Starting off with Paul Williams then Dennis jumps in around the 1:10 mark and then they trade lead lines around 1:53. Eddie leads around 2:35 in the song. It's really a nice song the more I listen to it.

But to the point about Dennis Edwards, aside from a couple unreleased cuts from TCB I don't think there have been any unreleased tracks with Dennis singing lead on any Temptation tracks. Which is weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    Hate to be the one who goes against the grain,but I hear absolutely no hit potential in this song. As much of as a genius Smokey Robinson is,if I heard this on an album or even on the radio I wouldn't pay a great deal of attention to it.It just lacks an edge in addition to having predictable chord structure.I would've voted no too. There's a difference in listening as a fan who likes music and an executive or administrator who has to INVEST in what's being listened to. Next time you play it,imagine Smokey running up to you excited with the master tape to this song and asked to loan five thousand dollars to release it as a single and see if you feel the same.When the song fades are you in a hurry to pull out your checkbook? or will you have to "think about it" to ultimately say no?.
    I see what you mean! The song isn’t on par with “My Girl” or “Since I Lost My Baby. But it’s not “let’s throw it in the vault until the copyright is about to expire” bad either. To me it’s a nice break from the psychedelic productions they were turning out at the time. Here, Eddie is in his comfort zone and IMO gives a take worthy of being up there with “You’re My Everything”, “Just My Imagination”, “My Christmas Tree”, etc.

As Soulmusic4life pointed out, Norman Whitfield had an ego the size of Texas. He fought hard to keep the Temptations to himself. Which is why later recordings from other producers [[including elite ones like Smokey & HDH) were reduced to album fillers if not vaulted altogether. And they were the lucky ones. More than a few songs cut on the Spinners and the Originals, were initially tracked for the Tempts.

This song absolutely blows MY GIRL away. This is completely R&B soul. My girl is crossover. The hell with crossover. The pop people need to listen to the soul. Quit catering to the pop crowds.