[REMOVE ADS]

Cameo from large band to 3 members. Why?

Does anyone know why Cameo went from being a large band to a 3 man entity [[I did notice other musicians who were not featured in promo photos). I was hoping that Unsung would feature them but it never happened. I always wondered why Wayne Cooper left and why the others followed.

Change in music trends! By the mid 80s live bands were being replaced by drum machines and midi synthesizers.
    Last edited by jboy88; 09-21-2019 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    Change in music trends! By the mid 80s live bands were being released by drum machines and midi synthesizers.
    Makes sense, just wonder what did the other members wind up doing with their talents and who chose who had to leave.

Economics has often been the deciding factor with a lot of ensembles like those we had enjoyed so much back in the 70's, not just Cameo. But Larry Blackmon's group was still
    special in a lot of ways. Too bad the folks at Unsung have yet to realise that. They were
    as strong at the funkiest of jams as they were at the most lush of soulful ballads. Miles Davis who even collaborated with them and appeared in their videos called them one of his favorite groups. Also, Larry, even when he took the lead in stage performance, always used real drummers. A drummer himself, he came a long way from playing behind Black Ivory. As for Wayne Cooper, there are different stories about his departure, which reminds me I need to make time to watch Larry and Tomi Jenkins youtube video explaining the group's history...Today if I can...Got a mess of chores first...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Economics has often been the deciding factor with a lot of ensembles like those we had enjoyed so much back in the 70's, not just Cameo. But Larry Blackmon's group was still
    special in a lot of ways. Too bad the folks at Unsung have yet to realise that. They were
    as strong at the funkiest of jams as they were at the most lush of soulful ballads. Miles Davis who even collaborated with them and appeared in their videos called them one of his favorite groups. Also, Larry, even when he took the lead in stage performance, always used real drummers. A drummer himself, he came a long way from playing behind Black Ivory. As for Wayne Cooper, there are different stories about his departure, which reminds me I need to make time to watch Larry and Tomi Jenkins youtube video explaining the group's history...Today if I can...Got a mess of chores first...
    I'm going to be glued to my computer for the next few hours doing some photo editing so I guess I'll find the video of Larry & Tomi and listen to it. Hopefully that will shed even more light. Thank you for your response.

They went from like 11-9-6-3 full time members. I am sure money had something to do with that.

Things got really really messy in the last year. Four former members of the band are suing Blackmon for stolen royalties. He turned around and sued them for performing under the Cameo name.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Things got really really messy in the last year. Four former members of the band are suing Blackmon for stolen royalties. He turned around and sued them for performing under the Cameo name.
    As I guessed. Money had a lot to do with the changes.

He's alleging that he was Cameo and the scores of credited group members were only players for hire. News to Tomi Jenkins, Nathan Leftenant [[who's suing), Aaron Mills and the many players who shaped the sound, especially in the early years. I knew that he and Tomi Jenkins had a hard falling out but I didn't know that he had such an [[ahem) ugly ego. He's one of my favorite artists, but I hate to hear about money destroying relationships. But that's the music industry for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    He's alleging that he was Cameo and the scores of credited group members were only players for hire. News to Tomi Jenkins, Nathan Leftenant [[who's suing), Aaron Mills and the many players who shaped the sound, especially in the early years. I knew that he and Tomi Jenkins had a hard falling out but I didn't know that he had such an [[ahem) ugly ego. He's one of my favorite artists, but I hate to hear about money destroying relationships. But that's the music industry for you.
    I didn't even know Larry had fallen out with Aaron and Tomi. Wow. I guess that spells the absolute end of "Cameo". Not much different than what happened to the Commodores, but they are at least still performing in name.

Wow! Didn't know that all this drama surrounded Cameo. They are surely candidates for an episode of UnSung.

It seems everywhere you turn all that's left for one to do is just enjoy the work of any
    artist because the people behind the product are often nothing like the image they project.
    Maybe they started out fine but excuse me JB, money or it's lack WILL change you...O well...I've had to say Damn, George, Damn, Sly, even Damn, James. Now it's Damn, Larry...Still I will continue to enough the discography of this most talented group...

Cameo was the funkiest band that was outside the P-Funk umbrella. I'd argue that their horns rivaled P-Funk but I don't want to get shouted at. And their ballads were the sweetest things on record. No amount of drama will diminish how much I love their music to this day.