[REMOVE ADS]

DRATS Newly Released 1969 track: For Once In My Life

Available today, 9/20/19 on US Apple Itunes:

"For Once In My life" Diana Ross & The Supremes

Motown Unreleased 1969 $ 11.99 for SIXTY tracks!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sacramento John View Post
    Available today, 9/20/19 on US Apple Itunes:

"For Once In My life" Diana Ross & The Supremes

Motown Unreleased 1969 $ 11.99 for SIXTY tracks!!!!!
    just gave it a listen

Wow! Recently I was thinking about mentioning [[assuming I never did before) how strange it is that "For Once In My Life" was covered so many times at Motown [[and beyond) but never by Diana and the Supremes. I know Diana covered it in the late 70s but I always thought that it would've made sense to do it in the late 60s. There's also that great version she does on Danny Thomas' show. But this Supremes version [[and thankfully with Mary and Cindy) is a great surprise. I love it already. Diana does exactly what I expected her to do with it and I'm glad it's not that MOR arrangement that the Tempts did [[even though it's also great and no doubt Ross would've done a great job in that style also).

I must have missed the news of Motown 1969 release.

I can see why it was unreleased.

Hopefully will get a Uk CD release. I learnt my lesson the expensive way with this series and need more patience.

Great vocal

Quote Originally Posted by alanconnor_1 View Post
    Hopefully will get a Uk CD release. I learnt my lesson the expensive way with this series and need more patience.
    Alan, there will be no CD release. '66 or was it '67 was was a one off!

Apparently, this was the final song DMC recorded together.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Thanks for letting me know. I’ll see if I can find it on a UK lossless retail site.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    It may eventually appear on cd as a track on a DRATS expanded edition.

For me this is head and shoulders above her solo version where her voice is always competing with the arrangement. On this version it's her voice that takes centre stage with Diana in fine, emotional form. Love it.

alanconnor - a lossless version of the set is available on Amazon's new HD music site.

any info on recording dates. was this just found...sounds like a few other tracks she did in 69 ...producer wise,.....reminds of a Deke production,
    Last edited by daviddh; 09-21-2019 at 09:06 AM.

I love it and I was surprised there was a song on there by Valerie Simpson. I wonder if "For Once In My Life" was intended for "Cream Of The Crop".

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    any info on recording dates. was this just found...sounds like a few other tracks she did in 69 ...producer wise,.....reminds of a Deke production,
    Produced by Henry Cosby

Track recorded January 21, 1969; strings recorded at Studio B January 24, 1969; horns [[and probably winds) recorded at Studio B January 25, 1969; lead vocal date and location unknown

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Produced by Henry Cosby

Track recorded January 21, 1969; strings recorded at Studio B January 24, 1969; horns [[and probably winds) recorded at Studio B January 25, 1969; lead vocal date and location unknown
    thanks for sharing the info

Quote Originally Posted by hobocamp View Post
    alanconnor - a lossless version of the set is available on Amazon's new HD music site.
    Thank you :-)

This does not sound like Deke to me at all. Sounds to me like the work of someone who didn’t push her as hard, but I have no idea who. I like it enough, though I prefer the Danny Thomas version.

Well here we are Sept 21 2019...this is the only Ross. Or Supremes track we got this year

I am just shocked it was recorded in 1969 with the Supremes. My first listen I was not that impressed but it has started to grow on me.

Well here we are Sept 21 2019...this is the only Ross. Or Supremes track we got this year
    Sadly your right david. There are scurrilous little rumours that an expanded Love Child cd has been penciled in for a 2068 release to commemorate it's 100th anniversary. I'm not getting my hopes up just yet though.

This is a great track; Diana superb as always. She also sang the song in a guest appearance on the Danny Thomas sitcom around the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    This is a great track; Diana superb as always. She also sang the song in a guest appearance on the Danny Thomas sitcom around the same time.
    Here is the full episode of that show. Diana stings FOIML beginning at about 6:25

I like it just fine.....I tend not to over-analyze the music, I'm just happy to hear anything new, or is it new-old music, lol?!
    Darin