[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    Vinyl Me, Please Anthology Presents: The Women of Motown

    Hey everyone,


    Courtney from Vinyl Me, Please here. We’ve heard great things about this community and forum, and figured if anyone on the internet should know about our brand new Women of Motown Anthology, it’s you!


    As Motown celebrates its 60th anniversary, we’re excited to partner with them on shining a spotlight on the women who shaped the label and turned it into the Sound of Young America. Our 8-album Anthology brings together a premium vinyl box set, exclusive podcast & editorial content, as well as a private fan community, all with the goal of going beyond the liner notes and deep into the history of this iconic label. Hundreds of hours were poured into this project in an effort to ensure all elements were thoughtfully considered, and we’re so excited to have launched the pre-sale already with such high demand.


    There are just a few more hours to get the second edition of Vinyl Me, Please Anthology at a discounted price ($50 off): http://bit.ly/2mkczei

    Feel free to shoot me any questions, and thanks for reading
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. I think I figured out most of the clues and if I am correct, am I right to conclude The Marvelettes are not included in this set?

  3. #3
    If there is an 8 album set of The Women of Motown and it does NOT feature The Marvelettes, then somebody should sue.

  4. #4
    What are these 8 albums ? I didn't see any information.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    What are these 8 albums ? I didn't see any information.
    There were clues that were given.

    The ones I was sure about were: BYE BYE BABY by Mary Wells, HEAT WAVE by Martha and the Vandellas, and WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO by the Supremes. I think the others might be IRRESISTIBLE TAMMI TERRELL, and possibly albums by Tata Vega and Syreeta.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    There were clues that were given.

    The ones I was sure about were: BYE BYE BABY by Mary Wells, HEAT WAVE by Martha and the Vandellas, and WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO by the Supremes. I think the others might be IRRESISTIBLE TAMMI TERRELL, and possibly albums by Tata Vega and Syreeta.
    Agree...I was also thinking Valerie Simpson and/or Gloria Jones or maybe even Teena Marie.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    Agree...I was also thinking Valerie Simpson and/or Gloria Jones or maybe even Teena Marie.
    I didn't think of Valerie. Maybe so. I also thought one might be india.arie but I wasn't sure if they were coming that far forward.

  8. #8
    My comment above was based on an assumption that this was 8 albums, each of which would feature various artists, so that the whole Motown spectrum of female artists would be included. I did not realize it would be a collection of 8 original albums. Even so, I would have consider the Marvelettes as being deserving of having an album included, such as the Pink Album or Sophisticated Soul.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    My comment above was based on an assumption that this was 8 albums, each of which would feature various artists, so that the whole Motown spectrum of female artists would be included. I did not realize it would be a collection of 8 original albums. Even so, I would have consider the Marvelettes as being deserving of having an album included, such as the Pink Album or Sophisticated Soul.
    I don't get why this group is so consistently ignored and overlooked. My feeling too was that The Pink Album was such an undervalued milestone for the group.

    Once again...

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    There were clues that were given.
    Thanks Reese here they are : The first LP by a solo woman in Motown history.

    An LP recorded in a single night to capitalize on the title track racing up the charts.

    The first mega smash LP at Motown, it was on the charts for more than a year.

    Was the only solo LP the artist ever got to make.

    Features a Stevie Wonder co-writer covering the Beatles using a talkbox.

    By one of the stars of the '20 Feet from Stardom' documentary, a backup singer whose solo LPs are hidden gems.

    Completely self-written and self-produced, a rarity for Motown.

    Written after a period of writer's block, it's her most underrated LP.

  11. #11
    I did not see those clues previously..

    The Stevie Wonder co-writer is obviously Syreeta since The Beatles’ “She’s Leaving Home” was featured on her self-titled debut.

    I’d say “completely self- written and self-produced” is one of Teena Marie’s albums (probably “It Must Be Magic”).

    I think the “writer’s block” album is by Erykah Badu. Particularly since the Wikipedia page for her “Worldwide Underground” album states “Recording sessions for the album took place during 2003, following Badu's period of writer's block and her performing on the Frustrated Artist Tour.”

    I wonder what the double album is.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.