[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Okay, we all love Cindy, but nobody cares about her. And I don't mean to come across callous. I personally love Cindy and what she means to the story of the Supremes. But Cindy was a replacement. Yes, she sang with Ross. Yes, she participated in high profile television appearances and promoted a couple of Supremes hits that she did not sing on. But when the public thinks SUPREMES, that image is Diana Ross, Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard. So Cindy's participation in any reunion would be welcomed, but that's not who the public cared to see [[because hardly no one cares now). As long as Ross and Wilson take the stage together, with or without a third person, that's the only Supremes reunion the public would give a crap about. So to be fair to Mary, the reunion does hinge on Diana. If Diana called Mary up tonight and said lets do it, Mary would jump at the chance. I think Mary learned her lesson back in 2000 not to cut off her nose to spite her face. She thought the drama of the situation would pay off more than the tour. She probably has yet to be handed or offered a four million dollar check since. I'm sure she's kicking herself.
    you are spot on about Cindy, except a reunion has to be three Supremes - it can’t just be Mary and Ross, so a third will have to be added and then it will not be a true reunion which is what mary was crabbing about for the last 19 years. While I don’t think Diana will do a reunion, I think there’s even less chance that she would go out with mary as a duo…… Make that zero chance.

And there’s more to it. Right now ABC has mary running around doing a ton of publicity and mary is loving it…… She gives sensational interviews and she loves the attention and it’s all wonderful for her and I’m happy for her that for the first time in her entire career she’s getting all this positive press that has nothing to do with ross and there’s more to it. Right now ABC has mary running around doing a ton of publicity and mary is loving it…… She gives sensational interviews and she loves the attention and it’s all wonderful for her and I’m happy for her that for the first time in her entire career she’s getting all this positive press that has nothing to do with ross. Diana, is over giving interviews and being asked questions and doing prayers and doing anything beyond what she wants to do and the reunion would require a ton of press. She doesn’t even change the songs in her shows I absolutely cannot imagine her going to all the trouble to produce any kind of reunion shell whatsoever whether or not she even would want to would be a relevant I believe because I just think she doesn’t want to do the work and she’s not the type to leave it up to someone else to do so The whole concept is just so far-fetched I can’t believe it’s being discussed by Mary as anything other than “it’s just up to Diana“
    Who I believe has spoken on the subject for the final time as it’s unlikely if she ever does another interview she’ll be asked that question because I’m sure it’s on the list of 8 million things that cannot be asked. I think Mary should get together with other former supreme‘s if she wants to do a supreme‘s act again. Who knows, maybe if that happened diana would get antsy and want to come in and do one song or something but I don’t see it and I’m not 100% happy with Mary I was not being as forthcoming as I would like on the subject when asked.

You really think the public cares? The general public washed their hands of the two living Supremes [[from the original trio) reuniting after the RTL debacle. Nobody cares except a select few. If it never happens- and it probably won't- no one will blame Diana Ross because nobody cares enough about the subject. When the dirt has been tossed on the grave of Diana Ross, 99.9 percent of what people will be talking about is her legendary career, both as a Supreme and as a soloist. They will speak of her captivating, one of a kind voice. They will talk about her icon status and her trailblazing standard of glamour. They will even talk about how she is the matriarch of a family of creative and intelligent children who have managed to start families of their own, find their own lanes of success, have avoided legal issues, and above all else seem to have a great love and respect for their mother. While so many people are singing her praises, the 0.0001 percent of people will talk about how Diana Ross was the cause of the public being denied a Diana Ross reunion with Mary Wilson.
    Why would you even go there? And with Mary doing DWTS where some of the contestants actually have gotten injured, you'd really take that chance wishing something like that on Ross? I can't think of anything you've said about Diana Ross that's lower than this.
    Most people in the world never let the thought cross their mind about a Supremes reunion. Only certain diehards.
    ]
    Trust, Diana will not suffer for lack of beautiful things said about her even now.
    I've never agreed with you more, RanRan.

at this point, why would the fans frankly even WANT a reunion? Florence has long been dead and Cindy is unable to handle such an activity. What would be the purpose of it? Just to see Diana and Mary on stage together? given their age, relationship and everything else, it won't be like 1969. it's descend to completely NOT live up to anyone's expectations.

what we CAN be excited about and encourage is not only the renewed interest in the classic supremes that's happening today with the book and mary's dancing but in FUTURE renewed interest in the group. I would hope that Mary can parlay today's interest into a few more engagements over the next couple years. perhaps diana will release a new album of songs. Maybe future producers will continue to sample some of the hottest of tracks - i for one would think some of the Sup disco material could make for exciting sampling on some current dance track.

those things will keep the general public and the younger generations aware and interested in the Supremes.

I think all this publicity will be a big help to Mary as far as her solo bookings girl. She was quite interested in getting the gig at Cleopatra‘s barge and so far they have not made a right offer however Dionne Warwick is doing decent business there and while she has a much bigger name then Mary is, I think with all this current publicity, and the fact that it would be in Las Vegas, that they might try her out for even a night or two and see how it goes. I really really really really really hope it works out for her and the longer she lasts on the show, the more publicity ABC is going to generate For her…… I’ve never watch the show before and I did not realize what a publicity machine it is I’ve discussed it with my friends mother who told me that the contestants do a lot of television and certainly Mary is much more of a draw then people like Sean Spicer plus she has the book and it’s just serendipity that it happened at the same time so it gives her television interview booking chances I want for her…… I’ve never watch the show before and I did not realize what a publicity machine it is I’ve discussed it with my friends mother who told me that the contestants do a lot of television and certainly Mary is it much more of a draw then people like Sean Spicer plus she has the book and it’s just serendipity that it happened at the same time so it gives her television interview booking chances a 1-2 punch that cannot help but increase interest in her solo shows.

‘’I cannot see it Leading to a reunion - Whatever that might be

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I like that, "Diana Ross Derangement Syndrome". A few months back when TMZ posted the story of Diana's bad experience with the TSA, more than a thousand people commented on their website and the overwhelming majority of the comments were negative towards Ross. They did not even give her the benefit of the doubt. I believe had it been someone else, the negative to positive ratio of commenters would not have been so high.
    TMZ? TMZ? Brotha please. The entire point of that site is to be negative and the people who flock to it's comment sections are magnets of negativity. I usually avoid TMZ on principle, but I recall going to the site once within the last year or two because they seemed to be the only outlet [[at that moment) that was reporting about someone [[can't remember who but I think it was someone who had died), and the comments were absolutely sickening. I knew that TMZ was in the business of nastiness but I had no idea that the comment section was equally as brutal. Learned my lesson that day. So on this, the ratio of negative being higher vs positive when it came to Ross and the TSA issue, I definitely believe you. Those are the kinds of people who flock to TMZ anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    You see, she is not a back up singer. Just because a few, 5-6 guys on this forum do not like her and refuse to acknowledge any of her achievements, does not change facts. Mary Wilson has been singing solo for over 40 years and even led some recordings while in the Supremes. Her career did not begin and end in the 1960s. True the original Supremes [[and Berry Gordy) are eternally linked. When Diana dies, they are going to mention Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard. Same thing for Mary.
    I agree to a point. When I think of backup singer, I think of someone like the Waters or the Andantes, who were specifically employed as backup singers to other artists. Mary Wilson is famous for being one third of the most successful female group in the world. Her job in that group was more often than not harmonizing background vocals. So to most of the world that is who Mary Wilson is: a backup singer in the Supremes. And to Midnight's point, I'd say she is the most famous of her kind. Definitely the most successful, outside of those "backup singers" who stepped out of their positions and found solo success in music. Trust, even Roz or Betty from the Vandellas tried to get half the attention Mary manages to get, they would get their feelings hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    you are spot on about Cindy, except a reunion has to be three Supremes - it can’t just be Mary and Ross, so a third will have to be added and then it will not be a true reunion which is what mary was crabbing about for the last 19 years. While I don’t think Diana will do a reunion, I think there’s even less chance that she would go out with mary as a duo…… Make that zero chance.
    A tour will never happen. That ship has sailed. I think if we ever see these two women take the stage together again it will be a one time deal. Either a television appearance, like an awards show, which only needs Ross and Wilson to work, or maybe a charity concert, which I'm sure an extra Supreme could be persuaded into participating in. But no tour. Aint gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    at this point, why would the fans frankly even WANT a reunion? Florence has long been dead and Cindy is unable to handle such an activity. What would be the purpose of it? Just to see Diana and Mary on stage together? given their age, relationship and everything else, it won't be like 1969. it's descend to completely NOT live up to anyone's expectations.

what we CAN be excited about and encourage is not only the renewed interest in the classic supremes that's happening today with the book and mary's dancing but in FUTURE renewed interest in the group. I would hope that Mary can parlay today's interest into a few more engagements over the next couple years. perhaps diana will release a new album of songs. Maybe future producers will continue to sample some of the hottest of tracks - i for one would think some of the Sup disco material could make for exciting sampling on some current dance track.

those things will keep the general public and the younger generations aware and interested in the Supremes.
    I can only speak for myself. I'm sentimental and so I love stories where people find a way to come full circle. Motown 25 and RTL both held the opportunity to do this and were messed up by the ladies involved. As a fan I'd love for these two to come together and revisit what made them famous in the first place, if only for one night or for a few minutes. As a man I understand Diana's need to move on from someone she feels is prone to sharpening a knife with her name on it. If she really doesn't trust Mary, she should avoid her, and I have to be on board with that.

I'll always keep my fingers crossed for something with them, but I'm good with at least having the photos from Motown The Musical and the Elton John party. There was a time when most of us didn't think we'd even get that.

TMZ? TMZ? Brotha please. The entire point of that site is to be negative and the people who flock to it's comment sections are magnets of negativity. I usually avoid TMZ on principle, but I recall going to the site once within the last year or two because they seemed to be the only outlet [[at that moment) that was reporting about someone [[can't remember who but I think it was someone who had died), and the comments were absolutely sickening. I knew that TMZ was in the business of nastiness but I had no idea that the comment section was equally as brutal. Learned my lesson that day. So on this, the ratio of negative being higher vs positive when it came to Ross and the TSA issue, I definitely believe you. Those are the kinds of people who flock to TMZ anyway.
    The bile and negativity TMZ provides marv2 and his haters like him is equal to:

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    And why has the Moderator made no comment particularly about the broken arm post?
    I really don't know. Just imagine the complaints had someone wished an injury on Mary Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I really don't know. Just imagine the complaints had someone wished an injury on Mary Wilson.
    This sub forum is a free for all so anyone who wishes to act like a horse’s ass can do so

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    The bile and negativity TMZ provides marv2 and his haters like him is equal to:
    Couldn't see the picture on my phone; now I see it on a desktop computer. LOL, a pig in.....……...

I can only speak for myself. I'm sentimental and so I love stories where people find a way to come full circle. Motown 25 and RTL both held the opportunity to do this and were messed up by the ladies involved. As a fan I'd love for these two to come together and revisit what made them famous in the first place, if only for one night or for a few minutes. As a man I understand Diana's need to move on from someone she feels is prone to sharpening a knife with her name on it. If she really doesn't trust Mary, she should avoid her, and I have to be on board with that.

I'll always keep my fingers crossed for something with them, but I'm good with at least having the photos from Motown The Musical and the Elton John party. There was a time when most of us didn't think we'd even get that.
    oh i agree that in years prior, they COULD of and SHOULD have done a reunion. frankly blame falls on both Mary and Diana regarding these missed opportunities.

I'm just speaking to today and 2019. at this point, i'm satisfied with the occasional pic of D and M at something like the Motown Musical. that's good enough for me and I'll just hold onto the memories of what was since you can have today what you had yesterday

I agree to a point. When I think of backup singer, I think of someone like the Waters or the Andantes, who were specifically employed as backup singers to other artists. Mary Wilson is famous for being one third of the most successful female group in the world. Her job in that group was more often than not harmonizing background vocals. So to most of the world that is who Mary Wilson is: a backup singer in the Supremes. And to Midnight's point, I'd say she is the most famous of her kind. Definitely the most successful, outside of those "backup singers" who stepped out of their positions and found solo success in music. Trust, even Roz or Betty from the Vandellas tried to get half the attention Mary manages to get, they would get their feelings hurt.
    you're correct - mary was a member of a group. not just a studio singer who accompanies someone as background vocalist. huge difference. In theory, a group member should be contributing to the strategy and overall presence/appeal of the group. unlike a background singer that is simply a musician on a recording or standing in the background with the orchestra on stage

most certainly during the DMF years, it was more of a group experience, especially live. given their ages, i don't know how much DMF were involved in the management and strategic direction of the group. D probably was due to her relationship with Berry. and then during the DRATS years, C and M probably weren't highly involved in decisions which is unfortunate

once it was JCM, you would think that each woman would have an equal say in matters but i don't know if that was really the case. from the stories i've heard [[and i'll admit they're stories so i don't know for certain) one of Jean's biggest complaints was that the company was dictating what the group would sing, wear, perform, etc. That she wasn't really able to lead the group into the style or direction she wanted.

and during the Scherrie years, it really was just mary running the show.

you're correct - mary was a member of a group. not just a studio singer who accompanies someone as background vocalist. huge difference. In theory, a group member should be contributing to the strategy and overall presence/appeal of the group. unlike a background singer that is simply a musician on a recording or standing in the background with the orchestra on stage

most certainly during the DMF years, it was more of a group experience, especially live. given their ages, i don't know how much DMF were involved in the management and strategic direction of the group. D probably was due to her relationship with Berry. and then during the DRATS years, C and M probably weren't highly involved in decisions which is unfortunate

once it was JCM, you would think that each woman would have an equal say in matters but i don't know if that was really the case. from the stories i've heard [[and i'll admit they're stories so i don't know for certain) one of Jean's biggest complaints was that the company was dictating what the group would sing, wear, perform, etc. That she wasn't really able to lead the group into the style or direction she wanted.

and during the Scherrie years, it really was just mary running the show.
    Mary and Pedro to the detrimment of the group.

very true. And frankly i wonder what role Mary played in management decisions during the Jean years. i honestly don't know. it could be very little. although she has long been a strong supporter of their glamorous look and might have been part of the barrier to Jean's wanting to move on and update the image. i think they could have evolved this more in 71 and 72. stay more in sync with the times.

just speculating here.

but definitely the majority of the group decisions once scherrie joined were mary or mary/pedro. either way, they simply didn't seem to make wise decisions for the group.

That being said, if I were a new fan that just found out about the Supremes now, the FIRST Thing i would look up are reunions. I’d hate for someone in twenty years, a young person, to discover them after all of the Supremes have passed, and learn that they NEVER sang together after the 1980’s.

Quote Originally Posted by imakicola View Post
    That being said, if I were a new fan that just found out about the Supremes now, the FIRST Thing i would look up are reunions. I’d hate for someone in twenty years, a young person, to discover them after all of the Supremes have passed, and learn that they NEVER sang together after the 1980’s.
    The Beatles never sang together again after 1970 and it hardly impacted on their popularity