[REMOVE ADS]

Ric Ocasek of The Cars Found Dead in Manhattan Townhouse

Last edited by marv2; 09-15-2019 at 10:45 PM.

This is sad. I was a casual fan of the Cars and Ric Ocasek was a reason why. The 80s had its share of bigger-than-life front men [[David Lee Roth, Dee Snyder, Peter Wolf) and the ego they developed from being The Guy usually led to headaches and breakups. Well, Ric Ocasek was the clear face of his band but he didn't seem like an attention whore. Many dudes still wonder how such an average looking guy who marry one of the most sexy women in pop culture, but that's a story for another thread [[What Singers Married Women/Men Way Out Of Their League?). For the record, some [[like Usher) were on the wrong end of that equation. I have a feeling Paulina Poriskova and Ric Ocasek made each other happy.

Second thought: 75 years old? Really?!

Having quickly "Wikipedia-d" him, it seems as though he had to wait until his early to mid-30s to find major and consistent success.

A bit like Bill Withers, really.

Also like The Spinners and some of the Philadelphia International acts.

It's possible that people for who success comes a bit later are more likely to survive stardom than those who achieve stardom before they've learned about adult life without it.

People like Ric Ocazek are therefore lucky enough to miss out on being offered membership of The 27 Club.

So sorry to hear about Ric Ocazek's passing last night. RIP Rick.

Who can forget this one from the Cars:

Music Community Mourns Ric Ocasek Of The Cars

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Second thought: 75 years old? Really?!
    Yep. He graduated from Maple Heights, OH [[Cleveland area) high school in 1963.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
    It's possible that people for who success comes a bit later are more likely to survive stardom than those who achieve stardom before they've learned about adult life without it.
    I think this is an excellent point.

Marv "Drive" is one of my all time favorite songs ever. It brings back such great memories of being a small kid. Here's one that both the song itself and the video are attached to two vivid memories I have of being a kid. I used to love to see this video.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Who can forget this one from the Cars:

Marv, this has always been one of the best and most powerful examples of what happens when a great director has a vision for a fantastic song. The song works great on its own but it is an emotional gut punch when you watch the video with it. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Marv "Drive" is one of my all time favorite songs ever. It brings back such great memories of being a small kid. Here's one that both the song itself and the video are attached to two vivid memories I have of being a kid. I used to love to see this video.

It reminds me of my first dates in Philadelphia with Kathy. Driving down to Atlantic City and up to NYC all summer.

I remember around 1980 walking into a lot of dorm rooms and seeing the Cars album "Candy-O". Then seeing it at Sparky's record store near campus, so I had to buy it. I still have it somewhere. Yep, the Cars hold some good memories for me.

He was one of the kindest and most unassuming celebrities I've ever had the pleasure to interact with. Rest in power.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Marv, this has always been one of the best and most powerful examples of what happens when a great director has a vision for a fantastic song. The song works great on its own but it is an emotional gut punch when you watch the video with it. Love it.
    Benjamin Orr, the lead singer on "Drive" passed away in 2000 at age 53. He was also from the Cleveland area, from Lakewood, OH.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    He was one of the kindest and most unassuming celebrities I've ever had the pleasure to interact with. Rest in power.
    Sansradio you met him? I met Eddie Money at All American Burger, a fast food joint on Long Island.

Ric Ocasek’s Cause of Death Revealed

https://variety.com/2019/music/news/...va-1203338231/

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Sansradio you met him? I met Eddie Money at All American Burger, a fast food joint on Long Island.
    Yes, several times. He was a client at one of my retail jobs way back when. Just the nicest fellow.