[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: One more chance

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I'm not sure what Bad Weather has to do with this thread,but since you mentioned it. Neither Bad Weather or Chain Reaction was played on the radio in America.
    I suggest that bad weather sounded fine in their live act, but maybe a bit boring on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    I suggest that bad weather sounded fine in their live act, but maybe a bit boring on the radio.
    True

All acts eventually end their hit making streaks; that’s about all BW and CR have in common. CR had a chance at being a hit and was in many countries. BW just isn’t a very good song

"Bad Weather" was a great record that was poorly promoted and distributed. The Supremes were finally sounding more soulful, more funky. Stevie did a great job on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    True

All acts eventually end their hit making streaks; that’s about all BW and CR have in common. CR had a chance at being a hit and was in many countries. BW just isn’t a very good song
    Hardly anyone in America heard it or bought it. "Chain Reaction was too hokey sounding with lyrics that made no sense in my opinion. People were listening to Sade, Patti LaBelle, Janet Jackson, Anita Baker and of course Whitney Houston at that time. Women that were putting out relevant music for the time. American radio was through with Diana Ross by the mid-80s. Not one of her singles once she returned to Motown even charted on the Billboard Pop Charts. She released quite a few too.

Even Chain Reaction flopped in the U.S.
    So did every Mary Wilson solo single domestically and internationally so whats your point?. Chain Reaction was a huge hit overseas and did actually hit the lower reaches of the US pop charts which is far more than Mary Wilson ever achieved.

"Bad Weather" was a great record that was poorly promoted and distributed. The Supremes were finally sounding more soulful, more funky. Stevie did a great job on that one.
    I really like "Bad Weather".

Musically it's great, but it isn't the most commercial Stevie composition and production. Those lovely chord changes and horn interplays in the intro alone are enough to frighten the horses!

So although I enjoy listening to it, I can understand how commercially it might have been a slightly unsettling step off the well-beaten path for traditional Supremes fans, especially since it followed hot on the heels of the very pop-y, highly accessible and and slightly retro "Floy Joy" album.

Hardly anyone in America heard it or bought it. "Chain Reaction was too hokey sounding with lyrics that made no sense in my opinion. People were listening to Sade, Patti LaBelle, Janet Jackson, Anita Baker and of course Whitney Houston at that time. Women that were putting out relevant music for the time. American radio was through with Diana Ross by the mid-80s. Not one of her singles once she returned to Motown even charted on the Billboard Pop Charts. She released quite a few too.
    In the UK we were also listening to all of those artists, but we also sent "Chain Reaction" to Number One.

It was fun, it was slightly retro, but it was also "current" and eminently danceable, and it's been a floor-filler ever since. It was also a great pop song.

What it showed is that the classic Supremes sound never lost its appeal. Janet Jackson, Vanessa Paradis and Ace of Base also subsequently recognised this and exploited it.

It might also be that there was a slight divergence of taste regarding the Bee Gees at that time since their resurgence in the UK in the late 80s wasn't quite matched in the USA. The UK seemed more open to what they were doing, including producing a smash hit for Diana Ross.

But it's also always been that way between the UK and the USA, and sometimes it takes 20 or 30 years before a record that hits in one country but misses in the other gets the wider recognition that it deserves.

For instance, "What's Going On" and "Let's Get It On" by Marvin Gaye are viewed as classics in the UK, but the UK didn't actually chart WGO at all, and LGIO only scraped into the UK Top 40.

Go figure. Beats me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
    In the UK we were also listening to all of those artists, but we also sent "Chain Reaction" to Number One.

It was fun, it was slightly retro, but it was also "current" and eminently danceable, and it's been a floor-filler ever since. It was also a great pop song.

What it showed is that the classic Supremes sound never lost its appeal. Janet Jackson, Vanessa Paradis and Ace of Base also subsequently recognised this and exploited it.

It might also be that there was a slight divergence of taste regarding the Bee Gees at that time since their resurgence in the UK in the late 80s wasn't quite matched in the USA. The UK seemed more open to what they were doing, including producing a smash hit for Diana Ross.

But it's also always been that way between the UK and the USA, and sometimes it takes 20 or 30 years before a record that hits in one country but misses in the other gets the wider recognition that it deserves.

For instance, "What's Going On" and "Let's Get It On" by Marvin Gaye are viewed as classics in the UK, but the UK didn't actually chart WGO at all, and LGIO only scraped into the UK Top 40.

Go figure. Beats me.
    I am in total agreement Sotosound. Your observations regarding the Bee Gees are also spot on.
    "Chain Reaction" is the perfect pop record and more than deserved it's international [[bar usa) success. More of this would have been nice.
    I do partly agree with marv in that during those rca years Diana seldom had her finger on the button as regards music trends and the type of music her fans craved for.

I'm not sure what Bad Weather has to do with this thread,but since you mentioned it. Neither Bad Weather or Chain Reaction was played on the radio in America.
    Initially, Chain Reaction got big support on the #1 station in the US:WABC
    However, it didn’t get adds in other crucial markets. When it was re-issued, WABC didn’t add it, naturally, but it did get some play here and there to limp into the 60’s.

WABC was big on Diana Ross solo:
    Upside Down and WDFFIL both were charted there for 25 weeks
    its My Turn for 22
    Endless Love was #1 for 14 weeks
    and the diana album was on their album playlist for months

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    My main problem with the album is the bland and lacklustre production. She was quite simply too inexperienced to do this project justice. Just listen to the awful intro to Why do fools. Someone like Quincy would have polished that up and made it sound less like a demo.
    As regards the songs her solo take on Endless Love was quite simply not required. You should hear what Lionel had to say about that!
    Sweet nothings and work that body are just dreadful. Whatever made her think they would enhance the album?
    It is not all bad news. Mirror mirror is excellent. She sounds on point and we get the impression she is actually enjoying herself. Her production on this is good. You can hear the Chic influences and it is unfortunate she did not go down this particular path more.
    Sweet surrender and Think i'm in love are nice songs, but seem to lack that extra spark to ignite them into something really worth listening to. Once again i blame Ms D for not pushing herself more in the studio .
    The rest of the album contains bland fillers. Not exactly bad songs, but there is certainly something lacking in her delivery.
    The whole project was rushed out and that is how it came across. Not many people were happy with the finished project, but they had the deadline to adhere too, and they were grateful for the momentum gathered from the Chic project and Endless love that helped see it home.
    I have probably said way too much and i await the inevitable reprimand from people who think i have gone too far.
    ‘I couldn’t agree more. When I first played the album I couldn’t believe this was the follow up to the biggest record of her career????? I liked mirror mirror and think I’m in love, Plus even though it’s nothing more than cheesy Schmaltz pablum disco, I didn’t mind it’s never too late at all…… And I think if it had a harder edge to it and more soulful it would’ve work as a third single. I’ve never cared for the title song, or the solo endless love - but I think it was wise to put it on there, and I don’t have anything against Sweet nothing‘s I mean it was perfectly fine but not too songs from the 50s please…… And that led to the dreadful release of so close the following year as a limp dick single. I shook my head until it rattled trying to figure out how this nothing album could’ve possibly followed up the brilliant Chic Album. I think some of her vocals are perfunctory, but most of all, if 4 million people in the previous year and purchased your album what made you think at those same people we’re going to want to hear music like this????? Even the album cover is a gigantic went down compared to the year before…… and even though I like the mirror mirror, I wasn’t crazy about it. And even though I like to think I’m in love, I just don’t think it has any business being on the follow up album that had upside down on it.

Getting back to the "To Love Again album, it's a huge shame that the album could not have been released at the same time "Endless Love" was climbing the charts.
    It could have been titled Endless Love" to include "Dreaming Of You". Had this been the case i think the album could have gone top 10.
    One Masser song i so wish Diana had recorded is "Someone That I Used To Love". A beautiful, poignant song that was perfect for her. Natalie Cole had a minor hit with it but i'm sure Diana could have had the definitive version and a sizeable hit.
    After the massive success of 20 Golden Greats in the UK, i think the Masser tribute idea was a mistake. The public did not need TMITM or Theme From Mahogany featured on vinyl so soon after. I think "After You" and "All Night Lover" would have worked better.

"It's A Shame" was a much better record than "Chain Reaction". It also was a hit! "Chain Reaction" was a flop......in America.
    and so was Bad Weather

Quote Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post

Go figure. Beats me.
    Regarding the "Supremes sound" which was "The Motown Sound" largely created by The Funk Brothers did experience a renew popularity in the mid 80s. Some of the better examples are

Stevie Wonder - Part Time Lover - 1985 #1
    Hall & Oates - Maneater - 1982-83 #1
    Katrina and the Waves - Walking on Sunshine 1985 #9

All of those songs were hits in the U.S.

Good examples that I'd forgotten about.

[[Better than what?)

In the UK we also had "A Town Called Malice" by The Jam.

Diana had bad career advice during the RCA years and I'm sure she'll agree with me.

So did the Supremes after 1972.

Plus most artists stay relevant for a decade and a half before they get replaced by someone else occasionally making a comeback here and there.

That's just reality.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Diana had bad career advice during the RCA years and I'm sure she'll agree with me.

So did the Supremes after 1972.

Plus most artists stay relevant for a decade and a half before they get replaced by someone else occasionally making a comeback here and there.

That's just reality.
    She was listening at lot to Gene Simmons, who I cannot respect at all.

She was listening at lot to Gene Simmons, who I cannot respect at all.
    And Mary Wilson was listening a lot to wife beater Pedro Ferrer , who I despise and surely don’t respect!!

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    And Mary Wilson was listening a lot to wife beater Pedro Ferrer , who I despise and surely don’t respect!!
    True, which is probably why we lost Cindy Birdsong and almost comparable to Flo.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    and so was Bad Weather
    Technically "Bad Weather" reaching #87 on the Billboard Hot 100 did better in America than "Chain Reaction" that went to #95. Then she got desperate and they remixed it and re-released it and it petered out at #66 but on it's original release, it barely scrapped the Hot 100. Now the only reason I am talking these two records and comparing them is because YOU brought it up!

TOMATOE, TOMATO it still bombed!!
    The only reason I brought it up is because you brought up Chain Reaction bombing while my thread is about One More Chance.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    TOMATOE, TOMATO it still bombed!!
    The only reason I brought it up is because you brought up Chain Reaction bombing while my thread is about One More Chance.
    No I didn't. It was Ollie9 that first mentioned that flop record in post #96.

No I didn't. It was Ollie9 that first mentioned that flop record in post #96.
    I deny everything lol. I think it's only peeps from the dear ole usa who consider "Chain Reaction" a flop. Elsewhere it's seen as a classic Diana smasheroo and quite rightly so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I deny everything lol. I think it's only peeps from the dear ole usa who consider "Chain Reaction" a flop. Elsewhere it's seen as a classic Diana smasheroo and quite rightly so.
    Ollie come on! It's not that serious. LOL! Ole Capt'n James just likes to argue and start trivial fights. I don't know who's fault it is that Chain Reaction got NO airplay in America, at least not in Philadelphia where I was living at the time.

BW was way better live but studio wise, it fell flat. If he wanted to help the Supremes, he should've done for them what he tried to do for Syreeta.

Technically "Bad Weather" reaching #87 on the Billboard Hot 100 did better in America than "Chain Reaction" that went to #95. Then she got desperate and they remixed it and re-released it and it petered out at #66 but on it's original release, it barely scrapped the Hot 100. Now the only reason I am talking these two records and comparing them is because YOU brought it up!
    Technically chain reaction hit number one and was top 10 in a number of countries and spurred huge sales of the eaten alive album in those respective countries where as bad weather was a bomb everywhere……

Ollie come on! It's not that serious. LOL! Ole Capt'n James just likes to argue and start trivial fights. I don't know who's fault it is that Chain Reaction got NO airplay in America, at least not in Philadelphia where I was living at the time.
    Boy Please !!!! You bring it and then run as a victim. I never start fights but I do call you out when you are wrong or say what I am saying is BS.

Getting back to the "To Love Again album, it's a huge shame that the album could not have been released at the same time "Endless Love" was climbing the charts.
    It could have been titled Endless Love" to include "Dreaming Of You". Had this been the case i think the album could have gone top 10.
    One Masser song i so wish Diana had recorded is "Someone That I Used To Love". A beautiful, poignant song that was perfect for her. Natalie Cole had a minor hit with it but i'm sure Diana could have had the definitive version and a sizeable hit.
    After the massive success of 20 Golden Greats in the UK, i think the Masser tribute idea was a mistake. The public did not need TMITM or Theme From Mahogany featured on vinyl so soon after. I think "After You" and "All Night Lover" would have worked better.
    Barbra Streisand also recorded a nice version of Someone that i used to love.

Barbra Streisand also recorded a nice version of Someone that i used to love.
    She did indeed. I quite like Streisand's version but think Natalie cole has the edge.
    I really love the song and so wish Diana had recorded it for the "To Love Again" album. To me it was a natural.
    With songs such as this and by motown being able to include EL and DOY the album could have been huge with hits a plenty. As it were they were forced to release two fairly pleasant album tracks as singles which never stood a chance.
    Talking of B.S, i think her version of "Home is fairly awful. It should have been great, but it just doesn't work. Diana really does have the definitive on that one.....imo.

She did indeed. I quite like Streisand's version but think Natalie cole has the edge.
    I really love the song and so wish Diana had recorded it for the "To Love Again" album. To me it was a natural.
    With songs such as this and by motown being able to include EL and DOY the album could have been huge with hits a plenty. As it were they were forced to release two fairly pleasant album tracks as singles which never stood a chance.
    Talking of B.S, i think her version of "Home is fairly awful. It should have been great, but it just doesn't work. Diana really does have the definitive on that one.....imo.
    I wouldn't say it was awful, but i don't think it will be mentioned when tributes are paid when she eventually passes, which i trust will not be for quite some time yet. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with her recently. She was totally different to what i was expecting. A true legend in every respect.

The first time I heard this song [[by Natalie Cole) I knew it should have been recorded by Diana. Natalie and Barbra interpret it well but I can just imagine and "hear" the perfect version by Ross.
    Yes, that would have been better. That way, another single from diana could have been released instead of One More Chance. [[One More Chance is my favorite of the "new" Masser songs on To Love Again. I think it is a marvelous, dramatic vocal performance by Ross. But it was a poor, or at least not timely, choice for a single.)

I can't see another big hit single on diana unless My Old Piano had been released in the US in 1980 on the heels of I'm Coming Out when the album was still hot instead of being held back until 1982 and in direct competition with Mirror Mirror.

Whatever your opinion of the music Diana had a very successful start to her RCA stint.

It's hard to get a handle on what would be successful for Diana in the UK after 1980 but for me the lost UK hit from To Love Again was Stay With Me - it would certainly have been massive in the early and mid-70s.

And Chain Reaction was BIG in Boston and Cleveland.

Barbra covered "Home"? Oh Lord...

Yes she did. And it is the Diana Ross movie version. It was ok but I prefer Diana Ross’ much more.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Yes she did. And it is the Diana Ross movie version. It was ok but I prefer Diana Ross’ much more.
    I really don't wanna hear any other diva do it unless their names are Stephanie, Diana or Whitney. Those are the only three who can claim some ownership to it [[and SM would get the bulk of the ownership since she did it first lol followed by DR and WH).

The B.S version starts off ok, but seems to lose it's way quite early on. It's all very safe and MOR. A white breadstick version.
    Can you ever imagine Barbra cast as Dorothy Gale in a 60's/70's adaption of The Wizard Of Oz..... It's food for thought.

I wouldn't say it was awful, but i don't think it will be mentioned when tributes are paid when she eventually passes, which i trust will not be for quite some time yet. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with her recently. She was totally different to what i was expecting. A true legend in every respect.
    Perhaps not awful, just a little bland. I met her in 82 but only got to say hi.
    She was in the UK working on Yentl and my b/friend was best friend with the costume designer of the film. All the crew said she was a real trooper. I know for a fact she did not want to be called M's Streisand all the time lol.

My bottom line opinion of "Bad Weather" is that it is a really good song. I do think Jean's lead was more laidback on the recorded version and after hearing her live, the record would've probably been better with a more lively and passionate performance, because Jean killed this song live, especially on Soul Train.

"Chain Reaction" had pop hit written all over it. I personally suspect that the turn off wasn't Diana or the track but was instead the voices of the Bee Gees. Had they given Diana a soulful backing group of vocalists- the Waters perhaps- I think the song would've gone top 10. Ross and Bee Gees don't make for a good blend of sound. Diana could've even done the backgrounds herself and made the record much more ear appealing to US audiences.

I really don't wanna hear any other diva do it unless their names are Stephanie, Diana or Whitney. Those are the only three who can claim some ownership to it [[and SM would get the bulk of the ownership since she did it first lol followed by DR and WH).
    I love "Home", and wouldn't mind it being tackled by any vocalist that is going to do it justice. Steph, Diana and Whitney are definitely the three who sing my favorite versions, in that order. I'm not a Streisand fan so I shudder at the thought of what she may have done to it.

Perhaps not awful, just a little bland. I met her in 82 but only got to say hi.
    She was in the UK working on Yentl and my b/friend was best friend with the costume designer of the film. All the crew said she was a real trooper. I know for a fact she did not want to be called M's Streisand all the time lol.
    She was lovely Ollie. I was expecting tissues and issues, but i got a very astute and intelligent lady. She was calm, happy and relaxed. An absolute pleasure to work with. Those 5 or 6 days literally flew by. She promised to return for a tour in 2021 when she will hopefully have her next album out. Fingers crossed.

She was lovely Ollie. I was expecting tissues and issues, but i got a very astute and intelligent lady. She was calm, happy and relaxed. An absolute pleasure to work with. Those 5 or 6 days literally flew by. She promised to return for a tour in 2021 when she will hopefully have her next album out. Fingers crossed.
    ... perhaps in 2021 one will find one's self in need of an utterly adorable assistant with a sharp mind, great work ethic and a tongue that could clip a hedge?

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    I can't see another big hit single on diana unless My Old Piano had been released in the US in 1980 on the heels of I'm Coming Out when the album was still hot instead of being held back until 1982 and in direct competition with Mirror Mirror.

Whatever your opinion of the music Diana had a very successful start to her RCA stint.

It's hard to get a handle on what would be successful for Diana in the UK after 1980 but for me the lost UK hit from To Love Again was Stay With Me - it would certainly have been massive in the early and mid-70s.

And Chain Reaction was BIG in Boston and Cleveland.
    yeah Piano is ok but was never anything remarkable to me. Have Fun is soooooo chic that it lacks anything new or exciting to make it DR or make it memorable. Tenderness is a bit stronger. and Friend and Now are ballads and i think not strong enough for singles

Perhaps Give Up would have had enough excitement. But it pales compared to Upside and Coming.

I would have moved her either into a 2nd Chic lp or Lionel content.

I know she has a personal assistant named Renata who has been with her like forever. Judy, who worked on the costumes told my partner she was nice but you had to know your stuff because she has such an eye for detail.
    So come on Bluebrock, please spill some beans. How does working with Diana compare with Barbra. From what i do know, Bab's is a perfectionist but a lot more relaxed around people then Diana.
    I have only once seen Diana out and about in South London. Perhaps she was having a bad day....... That's all i will say.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    ... perhaps in 2021 one will find one's self in need of an utterly adorable assistant with a sharp mind, great work ethic and a tongue that could clip a hedge?
    Perhaps. who knows? Ha ha.

I know she has a personal assistant named Renata who has been with her like forever. Judy, who worked on the costumes told my partner she was nice but you had to know your stuff because she has such an eye for detail.
    So come on Bluebrock, please spill some beans. How does working with Diana compare with Barbra. From what i do know, Bab's is a perfectionist but a lot more relaxed around people then Diana.
    I have only once seen Diana out and about in South London. Perhaps she was having a bad day....... That's all i will say.
    I am forbidden to say too much, but what i will say is that Barbra had a far better knowledge of her career than Diana did of hers. When i mentioned certain songs Barbra recorded she could tell me what album it was on and who wrote and produced it. Diana's knowledge of her own recordings was most disappointing. It was most obvious that Diana's career played a poor 2nd to her personal life, whilst Barbra was fully in control of her own career and controlled every aspect of it. Unlike Diana she told me she has never recorded a song that she did not fully believe in. However she did admit that a couple of her films were done purely to satisfy a financial commitment.

I am forbidden to say too much, but what i will say is that Barbra had a far better knowledge of her career than Diana did of hers. When i mentioned certain songs Barbra recorded she could tell me what album it was on and who wrote and produced it. Diana's knowledge of her own recordings was most disappointing. It was most obvious that Diana's career played a poor 2nd to her personal life, whilst Barbra was fully in control of her own career and controlled every aspect of it. Unlike Diana she told me she has never recorded a song that she did not fully believe in. However she did admit that a couple of her films were done purely to satisfy a financial commitment.
    Ta for sharing Bluebrock. It's a shame the two women have never met. I admire Diana for putting family first. Her priorities have always been in a good place.
    Both women have worked with Barry Gibb, but with the exception of CR, Barry seems to keep his best stuff for Streisand.

Diana and Barbra are two different women. Diana had thought about how she was gonna take care of her children, plus she spent years molded by a Svengali so it's no surprise she was bad with musical stuff.

Barbra has basically been her own boss since the start of her career. Therein lies the difference between the two.

I’m willing to bet Diana has recorded more songs than Barbra. Some people simply don’t have that kind of memory/recall, like Barbra or Martha, or Mary, with details. Diana always says her career comes 2nd, and more recently 3rd. Can’t fault her for putting family first. Regarding if they have ever met, I’m sure they must have. They were both at the Legends Ball. So that would be at least one time.

Ta for sharing Bluebrock. It's a shame the two women have never met. I admire Diana for putting family first. Her priorities have always been in a good place.
    Both women have worked with Barry Gibb, but with the exception of CR, Barry seems to keep his best stuff for Streisand.
    They have met. We were discussing Barry Gibb's work with various divas, and i slipped it into the conversation about working with Diana, and i cheekily said it was a pity they had never met face to face. She very quickly put me in my place and said they had met on a few occasions. She recalled a tribute show for Mohammed Ali where they spoke , and also a Diana concert in the early 70's where she went backstage and met Diana. She also told me in no uncertain terms that Diana had attended at least two of her shows. I quickly recoiled and changed the subject......

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    I’m willing to bet Diana has recorded more songs than Barbra. Some people simply don’t have that kind of memory/recall, like Barbra or Martha, or Mary, with details. Diana always says her career comes 2nd, and more recently 3rd. Can’t fault her for putting family first. Regarding if they have ever met, I’m sure they must have. They were both at the Legends Ball. So that would be at least one time.
    Possibly, but Barbra did tell me that she had literally "dozens" of unreleased masters which she has been revisiting. She said some of them would finally see the light of day on future collections.

Possibly, but Barbra did tell me that she had literally "dozens" of unreleased masters which she has been revisiting. She said some of them would finally see the light of day on future collections.
    A while back, Barbra put out a cd entitled RELEASE ME, which contained unreleased material from her entire career. It was a great collection. I think her version of HOME was from this project. It would be nice to hear some more.