[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

R.I.P. Mark Adams Bassist For The Funk Band Slave

It's been confirmed by Steve Arrington on his Facebook page,that bassist Mark Adams from the group Slave passed away.

I'm in a lost for words. May he rest in peace.

Mark Adams. I remember him from my High School days and all the jams Slave put out. RIP Mark.

Marv

pshark Guest
    I didn't want to here this.
    R.I.P

Today is Steve Arrington's birthday. I can only imagine how he feels,knowing that his former bandmate passed away on his birthday.

I understand that he was still with the band. Sad news indeed:

Quote Originally Posted by GeeTee[[HPK) View Post
    Today is Steve Arrington's birthday. I can only imagine how he feels,knowing that his former bandmate passed away on his birthday.
    It is sad. I went to college with his cousin Margaret.
    Last edited by marv2; 03-05-2011 at 08:35 PM.

This is truly sad.

pshark Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeTee[[HPK) View Post
    Actually Gee, he passed last night

How old was he? Anyone know?

This is very sad news to wake up to. We've had quite a few discussions here about Slave & Mark has always been one of my favorite bassists.

From grooves such as "Slide", "Just A Touch Of Love", "Snapshot", "Feel My Love", "Dreaming", "Watching You", "Warning" & even ballads like "Starting Over", I loved Mark's grooves & that sliding octave.."WOOO...WOOOOO". Man, I loved the way that brother played that bass. Slave was my favorite group of the early 80s & I've always been sorry that they split. Mark couldn't have been much more than 17 or 18 when they broke out with that collosal hump known as "Slide" back in '77.

There goes another piece of my youth & it always adds an extra sting when it's someone who's pretty much my own age.

Mark "Hansolor" Adams - R.I.P. My condolences to his family, friends & fans.

Unhappy

Big loss may he slide peaceful to funk eternity

Very special Marv, that you grew up around Mark's area and went to college with his cousin.
    I just checked a bio from one of their cd-compilations and Mark describes that he was 15
    when the group was getting together around 1976. So that would be 50 this year.

Unhappy

Wow!!

Very sad news indeed.

Within the space of less than a year three of the greatest bassists of all time have died..Marvin Isley,Robert Wilson[[Gap Band) and now Mark Adams of Slave.

Found a blog "Slave Fanaticism", where they mentioned that Mark lost his mother Barbara Jean last Nov. 18th. I wonder if she was the inspiration behind their song "Barbara Jean Boulevard"?

They're reporting his passing on this site...

http://prince.org/msg/8/354157?jump=11&pg=1
    Last edited by juicefree20; 03-05-2011 at 08:46 PM.

A 1990's interview with Mark & Drac, that Pshark had alrady posted hours ago.

Thanks Pshark. I should've known that you, cozmic or Marv were already going to be on the case!
    Last edited by juicefree20; 03-05-2011 at 08:16 PM.

pshark Guest
    Juice, check 3rd post

Pshark:

Sorry about that one. I was kinda surprised to hear this news that I was more caught up with my thoughts, than really reading what had been posted.

I've been trying to get confirmation about the reported cause of death, but I can't find anything about his passing in any of the Dayton news channels. Not that it really matters at this point but I hope that it's not what I've heard. Either way, I'll keep trying.

Quote Originally Posted by juicefree20 View Post
    This is very sad news to wake up to. We've had quite a few discussions here about Slave & Mark has always been one of my favorite bassists.

From grooves such as "Slide", "Just A Touch Of Love", "Snapshot", "Feel My Love", "Dreaming", "Watching You", "Warning" & even ballads like "Starting Over", I loved Mark's grooves & that sliding octave.."WOOO...WOOOOO". Man, I loved the way that brother played that bass. Slave was my favorite group of the early 80s & I've always been sorry that they split. Mark couldn't have been much more than 17 or 18 when they broke out with that collosal hump known as "Slide" back in '77.

There goes another piece of my youth & it always adds an extra sting when it's someone who's pretty much my own age.

Mark "Hansolor" Adams - R.I.P. My condolences to his family, friends & fans.

Oh man Juice, you said it! Another piece of my youth too and we were all in the same age range.

Sincerest condolences to the Adams Family and everyone that enjoyed his talents.

Quote Originally Posted by cozmic View Post
    Big loss may he slide peaceful to funk eternity

Very special Marv, that you grew up around Mark's area and went to college with his cousin.
    I just checked a bio from one of their cd-compilations and Mark describes that he was 15
    when the group was getting together around 1976. So that would be 50 this year.
    Cozmic, yep! I was north of where they got started and we were all in high school when they had their first hit with "Slide". It really doesn't seem that long ago. By the time I was in college they were a very established band where you could just expect a hit with each single and album they dropped! A great loss.

pshark Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by juicefree20 View Post
    Pshark:

Sorry about that one. I was kinda surprised to hear this news that I was more caught up with my thoughts, than really reading what had been posted.

I've been trying to get confirmation about the reported cause of death, but I can't find anything about his passing in any of the Dayton news channels. Not that it really matters at this point but I hope that it's not what I've heard. Either way, I'll keep trying.
    There's no need to apologize Juice.

Another underappreciated Talent. He stood out in a crowed field of Funk bass players.....and left an indelIble mark.

Joe Kelley will be spotlighting Mark tomorrow [[Monday, March 7th) on WVOF from 6pm-8pm NYC Time.

Drac will be interviewed on the show, as well. Joe has provided a call-in number, where he invites people to call in & say a few words about Mark. Here is the pertinent info..

call in [[203) 254-4111
    Listen: 88.5 FM WVOF Fairfield CT
    Live Stream: www.wvof.org

"Upper Room with Joe Kelley & Gi Dussault"
    24/7 Internet Radio Show
    www.upperroomwithjoekelley.com

Very sorry to hear of Mark's passing. That hits a little too close to home. Does anyone know the cause?

Quote Originally Posted by chidrummer View Post
    Very sorry to hear of Mark's passing. That hits a little too close to home. Does anyone know the cause?
    I can't find a thing. Not even an official notice yet, but check this site out for some nice background info on the group and links to some of their most popular work in videos:

http://soundedlikeanempiretome.blogs...-pictures.html

ChiD

I've heard a scenario, but it's nothing that I'd repeat without solid confirmation. I've been through everything that's Dayton...newspapers, TV, blogs, crime reports, you name it & have come up empty. Everyone who's reporting on this got it from Steve's Twitter blast & are simply regurgitating it with no additional info added. It seems as though the main Dayton daily doesn't update over the weekend, the last date that they've covered was the 3rd. I checked the death database & it hasn't been updated since Feb 24th, so, I don't know their cycle for updating their database.

I posted the link for Joe Kelley's live web stream tonight at 6 p.m. est. Drac is supposed to be on, perhaps we may actually get some solid news.

Marv:

I saw that site that you posted & last night, I noticed that the brother updated it & added the the text of his last correspondence with Mark. On Saturday, I ran across a site which featured an interview from last year where a young lady handling the press for Slave discussed some of why Mark was no longer with the group. I didn't post it here because I didn't want to add that sort of thing to this sad story, I felt that it was a little too soon for all of that & some of it has been discussed before, so, I thought that it would be a bit redundant.

I also mentioned the other day that Mark had lost his mother a few months ago. I believe that Mark was having a difficult time with her passing & that on top of his other trials likely made his struggles even more difficult.

Either way, I believe that when the final story is told, it will be one that saddens me further.

I'm listening to Joe Kelly's show now.

I don't know what the hell this is, but it damn sure ain't a tribute to Mark. Is anyone having any better success?

I see that I was listening to the web stream rather than the FM stream.

I know I've got it right now because I'm hearing "Slide". Did I miss anything so far?

It's too early for me to give my overall opinion,so far. I'll wait until I hear the entire program,to give my thoughts about this tribute.

pshark Guest
    I tuned in late, Victor Wooten is the guest but no Drac so far.

On the Slave Facebook page, there was a guy telling us that despite what steve had said, that Mark was still alive. I guess this kinda makes it official now.

But still...no mention, much less an acknowledgement of his passing in the Dayton news. Dayton has been more than a little proud of their Funk heritage, so the silence is deafening.

I'd love to be hearing more about Mark & less about these people & what THEY'RE doing.

pshark Guest
    Juice, heres a thread you started in 08
    http://faac.us/adf/messages/165088/1...tml?1200854512

That's weird that the Dayton news haven't mentioned anything of his passing. [[strange)

So far, I'm happy to hear Victor Wooten and Anthony Wellington [[Victor's bass tech) for calling in.

I guess when Drac calls in, he could fill us in more. [[I hope)

AHHHH...that's one thing that may be the problem. Mark was living in COLUMBUS. Time for another search. Pshark, what do you know about "Free" of The Stone City Band?

I'm glad to hear his fiancee speak. Much more insight about Mark.

Nothing in Columbus either.

That's nice that she called in. She just mentioned that his service will be in Dayton on Saturday.

Juice ! Thanks for the "shot out",and that's cool that you called in !

Thanks for representing SDF on Joe Kelly's show !

Pshark: Thanks a lot. I was just looking at that the other day.

GeeTee

That wasn't my intention, but after hearing his fiancee speak, I called Joe up to try to touch base with her & mentioned what we were doing here & he asked me if I wanted to go on.

Unfortunately, I have a nasty head cold, so perhaps I shouldn't have. But, we are one of the few places that is having a running dialog about Mark & Soulful Detroit is home & you guys have been diehards for years.

Get well Juice,and I'm glad that you were able to your voice heard.

pshark Guest
    Yeah thanks Juice.
    Sorry I have no info on Free. I didn't catch the name of his fiancee but I'm guess her name is Free, is that right?

GeeTee

Thanks brother & though I write a lot, I'm not that crazy about hearing my voice on the air. I used to hate speaking on the mic. Deep, but too nasal! I really am hoping to speak with Free so that we can keep up with any future developments with Mark's music.

Thanks again.

Pshark

Yes, her name is Free. She mentioned that she sang background for The Stone City Band.

I forwarded my info, so hopefully I'll be hearing from her.

I certainly hope that Drac makes this show.

I also hope that Joe plays "Starting Over" or "For The Love Of U". Great ballads!

I believe that this is Danny Webster singing lead on "We Can Make Love".

You're welcome Juice. Drac just called in.

pshark Guest
    Thank you, yeah I caught the part where she mentioned she was part of SSB.
    You know its too bad that there's no 70's live video performance of Slave. They
    did Kiirshner but they were lip synching.

I wondered if Slave made any other TV appearances,besides DKRC ? I have that performance,and it is a shame that their performance was lip synced. It's no longer available on YouTube anymore.

I know that some of their televised videos were once on youtube. I can't believe that they made no Soul Train appearances when they were hot as Hades.

I wasn't sure if they ever appeared on Soul Train ,but that's a shame they never appeared during they're "heyday!"