[REMOVE ADS]

"Everything Is Gonna Be Alright: 50 Years Of Westbound Soul And Funk" [[10/25/2019)

Description
    50 years ago Emanuel Lasky's timely A Letter From Vietnam appeared on a brand new light blue label with a royal blue label name: Westbound Records was born. In the ensuing years it set about proving that post-Motown Detroit could still be a home to successful music-making, scoring hits and developing careers with a series of acts including Funkadelic, Denise LaSalle, the Detroit Emeralds and the Ohio Players, as well as registering pop hits with Byron McGregor, and recording incredible jazz on its Eastbound label. Everything Is Gonna Be Alright looks at and celebrates the label's achievements in the world of soul, funk and gospel. Named after Bill Moss uplifting gospel anthem, the journey takes you from the label's very first single through the vocal group traditions of the Detroit Emeralds, the Magictones and Unique Blend, the funk of Funkadelic and the Ohio Players through to the Dennis Coffey and Mike Theodore-dominated disco era with CJ & Co and others. The compilation has a mixture of big hits and rarities from the Northern Soul classic by the Houston Outlaws to the much-sampled Pleasure Web. All are presented in their original seven-inch edits, many of which have never been reisssued.

Tracklist
    TBA

Amazon USA
    Available for pre-order soon:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XR95BQC/?tag=imwan-20

Amazon UK
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XR95BQC/?tag=imwan-21

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Description
    50 years ago Emanuel Lasky's timely A Letter From Vietnam appeared on a brand new light blue label with a royal blue label name: Westbound Records was born. In the ensuing years it set about proving that post-Motown Detroit could still be a home to successful music-making, scoring hits and developing careers with a series of acts including Funkadelic, Denise LaSalle, the Detroit Emeralds and the Ohio Players, as well as registering pop hits with Byron McGregor, and recording incredible jazz on its Eastbound label. Everything Is Gonna Be Alright looks at and celebrates the label's achievements in the world of soul, funk and gospel. Named after Bill Moss uplifting gospel anthem, the journey takes you from the label's very first single through the vocal group traditions of the Detroit Emeralds, the Magictones and Unique Blend, the funk of Funkadelic and the Ohio Players through to the Dennis Coffey and Mike Theodore-dominated disco era with CJ & Co and others. The compilation has a mixture of big hits and rarities from the Northern Soul classic by the Houston Outlaws to the much-sampled Pleasure Web. All are presented in their original seven-inch edits, many of which have never been reisssued.

Tracklist
    TBA

Amazon USA
    Available for pre-order soon:

Amazon UK
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XR95BQC/?tag=imwan-21
    Thank you again Eddie. I am sure this will be yet another must have compilation.

Anything that features my girl Denise will be "alright with me." Track list please ASAP!!!

When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought of the Al Green song from the 80s I love so much. This is collection sounds amazing in that it contains so many favorite artists of mine. Thank you very much Motown Eddie for bringing it to our attention.

Thanks for letting us in on this upcoming release. I especially like the Detroit Emeralds but there is hardly ever any attention paid to the group.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Thanks for letting us in on this upcoming release. I especially like the Detroit Emeralds but there is hardly ever any attention paid to the group.
    Their albums are quite readily available on cd. Kent released a good compilation on them a couple of years ago, and the original albums were released on 2 x 2 albums on 1 cd.

I look forward to this release; I know of the artists and the big hits, but for me it will be great to hear the material in the context of the label that made the music.

Tracklist for Westbound's Everything's Gonna Be Alright:

1. A Letter from Vietnam - Emanuel Lasky
    2. I'll Bet You - Funkadelic

3. Everything's Gonna Be Alright - Bill Moss & the Celestials

4. Ain't No Telling - Houston Outlaws

5. I've Changed - the Magictones

6. Trapped By a Thing Called Love - Denise Lasalle

7. Pain - Ohio Players

8. Why Not Start All Over Again - the Counts

9. Baby Let Me Take You [[In My Arms) - Detroit Emeralds

10. Yes I'm in Love - Unique Blend

11. Crazy Legs - Donald Austin

12. Funky Worm - Ohio Players

13. I Love You - Motivations

14. Music Man Part 1 - Pleasure Web

15. Get Up Off My Mind - Denise Lasalle

16. Standing on the Verge of Getting It on - Funkadelic

17. Alvin Stone [[The Birth and Death of a Gangster) - Fantastic Four

18. Get Ya Some - Melvin Sparks

19. If You Love Him - Junie

20. The Magic Man - King Errison

21. Devil's Gun - CJ & Co

22. Feel the Need - Detroit Emeralds

23. Calling Planet Earth - Dennis Coffey

24. High on Mad Mountain - the Mike Theodore Orchestra

Now available for pre-order at Amazon US [[and other shops).

Looks like a great collection but it should have been two CDs! Westbound has a lot more great stuff in its vaults. I mean, it's good they didn't dominate the disk with Funkadelic material as their stuff is available in lots of collections, but only two Funkadelic tracks...whaaaat...???

Odd choice for the second Denise track. But glad to see Funky Worm included! And I agree that they could have made this a double CD or even more.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Odd choice for the second Denise track. But glad to see Funky Worm included! And I agree that they could have made this a double CD or even more.
    Ace rarely release double cd's. They are probably testing the water for the reaction to this cd. If it shifts enough copies maybe further volumes will follow.