[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mary has another cancelation mishap

Another concert canceled due to poor ticket sales this time its the Apollo in Harlem. Shame as Mary was talking about her gown book.

Well she’s used to this

I had thought this evening of laughter, music and joy [[as it was advertised) would proceed. Between the venue, the connection to WQXR/WNYC, the popularity of Terrance McKnight and the link to Diana Ross and the Supremes I was sure at least the floor seats could be occupied.

It's only a blip - Mary has never been in such demand before and her fan base is stronger than ever! x

Quote Originally Posted by HistoricallyCompleteGownArchives View Post
    It's only a blip - Mary has never been in such demand before and her fan base is stronger than ever! x
    what would it be if it were not the case

Then why did her show get canceled?

Is there a link or something stating the event was cancelled due to poor ticket sales?

You don't have far to go when the demand is basically zero and you have to appear at retirement communities and trailer courts.

Love or loathe her what is really sad is that people take pleasure out of a cancellation of a show of a 75 year old woman.

A show that some people would have purchased tickets for and wanted to see.

there obviously is a demand for her as DWTS booked her , she’s just published a new book, regularly tours Europe either solo, as a support act or part of a ensemble....

Quote Originally Posted by mwmr View Post
    Love or loathe her what is really sad is that people take pleasure out of a cancellation of a show of a 75 year old woman.

A show that some people would have purchased tickets for and wanted to see.

there obviously is a demand for her as DWTS booked her , she’s just published a new book, regularly tours Europe either solo, as a support act or part of a ensemble....
    It's called "sour grapes!" Mary Wilson is busier now than stars half her age. She has always had a jam packed schedule from one end of the year to the next. Try as she may, she can't be everywhere at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It's called "sour grapes!" Mary Wilson is busier now than stars half her age. She has always had a jam packed schedule from one end of the year to the next. Try as she may, she can't be everywhere at the same time!
    I think it was a scheduling conflict did she have t dance wts on t 16th and would she have t fly to NY for t apollo event on t 17th. Could t dwts event get booked after t apollo event was scheduled. I bought a ticket so did my friends rashawn and Kevin. And I have my book which I was taking to t apollo for Mary t sign a friend went to t apollo Tuesday and was told there r no more tickets. Let Mary have her moments in t sun she's earned it.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    I think it was a scheduling conflict did she have t dance wts on t 16th and would she have t fly to NY for t apollo event on t 17th. Could t dwts event get booked after t apollo event was scheduled. I bought a ticket so did my friends rashawn and Kevin. And I have my book which I was taking to t apollo for Mary t sign a friend went to t apollo Tuesday and was told there r no more tickets. Let Mary have her moments in t sun she's earned it.
    That's right Fran. It was a scheduling conflict. Mary was booked to appear at the Apollo in advance of being chosen to appear on Dancing With the Stars. Didn't Mary have a similar engagement at the Apollo in 2017? She'll just have to re-schedule this visit for a later date.

I'm 20 minutes from The Apollo and I was not aware that she was scheduled to appear there. If I had known I would have purchased a ticket. I'm sure that part of the problem was poor advertising. I did not see any ads at all.

Quote Originally Posted by NativeNuYorker View Post
    I'm 20 minutes from The Apollo and I was not aware that she was scheduled to appear there. If I had known I would have purchased a ticket. I'm sure that part of the problem was poor advertising. I did not see any ads at all.
    Mary also did a similar event at the Apollo a couple of years ago.

Here's the event she did at the Apollo in September 2017:

https://www.insideaccess.com/mary-wilson-2017/

Here's the event she did at the Apollo in September 2017
    https://www.insideaccess.com/mary-wilson-2017/
    Did you go to this one or was this another lost opportunnity?

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Did you go to this one or was this another lost opportunnity?
    Perhaps for the local audience once was enough?

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Perhaps for the local audience once was enough?
    Are you riding the cotton pony or something?

Quote Originally Posted by REYnoldo Chavez View Post
    Are you riding the cotton pony or something?
    I'm sorry to see your anger and hostility. I wish you the best.

Ignore him REYnoldo he is nothing but a smart assed D.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    Why were the events so close though???

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Why were the events so close though???
    The Apollo event was scheduled in February. At the time Mary would not have known that she would be appearing on DWTS.

She has a book signing event here in NY Metro area the following day. Will that be cancelled too?

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    She has a book signing event here in NY Metro area the following day. Will that be cancelled too?
    Oh hell no! She will manage to honour that commitment despite the "scheduling conflict" that caused the Apollo gig to be cancelled. She would have been there had the demand been there. Scheduling conflict my ass!

The Apollo event was scheduled in February. At the time Mary would not have known that she would be appearing on DWTS.
    Then why didn't it sell?

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Then why didn't it sell?
    As most people acknowledge, and Marv is having a teenage girly moment over, many of Mary’s gigs are hard sells and she has to appear on bills with multiple artists

Dancing With The Stars is a good diversion from the music

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Ignore him REYnoldo he is nothing but a smart assed D.
    That's for sure. Bitter Betty.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Oh hell no! She will manage to honour that commitment despite the "scheduling conflict" that caused the Apollo gig to be cancelled. She would have been there had the demand been there. Scheduling conflict my ass!
    Sir. I commend your statement, yet decry your 'cherce of language. Should you have not said 'me bloomin' arse' ?

Sir. I commend your statement, yet decry your 'cherce of language. Should you have not said 'me bloomin' arse' ?
    Had i been addressing a UK audience i most certainly would have said arse instead of ass, but i taylor my choice of words for the appropriate audience. If this had been addressing an Australian audience the language would have been altogether more spicy!

Well, up until yesterday, Mary was still expected to appear at the book signing according to their website, where she was still listed. But today, the site is listing her appearance as cancelled, although they do have some signed copies.

Yet, in a video here posted here this week by Marv, Mary was still saying in an interview that she will fly to NY area next week for a book signing event. Hours later, the book store site lists it as cancelled. I don’t know who manages Mary’s bookings, but they could do a better job. Mary accepting a better paying gig at the last minute is good, but don’t leave prior commitments hanging til the last minute. Mary has known for a few weeks about her new commitment to DWTS

It is believable that the Apollo did not cancel the show because of slow ticket sales, but that Mary asked to be released from the commitment in order to take the DWTS gig which could be worth up to $ 300,000 to her, much more that she makes on the oldies circuit. Perhaps it was mutual as it benefitted both the Apollo and Mary. Who can blame Mary for wanting to opt for the better-paying gig and perhaps the Apollo was relieved when they saw the slow ticket sales. Turns into a win win. And although I am not a fan of DWTS, I did watch it yesterday in FF speed til Mary was on. It was fun to watch her. I also couldn’t help to also fast forward to Sean Spicer to watch him. That was sad.

This was on the book store's site today. Up until yesterday, she was still going to appear there

This event has been cancelled due to unforeseen scheduling circumstances however, we do have signed copies!
    Mary Wilson
    One of the Founding member of THE SUPREMES, Mary Wilson, will sign her new book:
    Supreme Glamour

Well, up until yesterday, Mary was still expected to appear at the book signing according to their website, where she was still listed. But today, the site is listing her appearance as cancelled, although they do have some signed copies.

Yet, in a video here posted here this week by Marv, Mary was still saying in an interview that she will fly to NY area next week for a book signing event. Hours later, the book store site lists it as cancelled. I don’t know who manages Mary’s bookings, but they could do a better job. Mary accepting a better paying gig at the last minute is good, but don’t leave prior commitments hanging til the last minute. Mary has known for a few weeks about her new commitment to DWTS

It is believable that the Apollo did not cancel the show because of slow ticket sales, but that Mary asked to be released from the commitment in order to take the DWTS gig which could be worth up to $ 300,000 to her, much more that she makes on the oldies circuit. Perhaps it was mutual as it benefitted both the Apollo and Mary. Who can blame Mary for wanting to opt for the better-paying gig and perhaps the Apollo was relieved when they saw the slow ticket sales. Turns into a win win. And although I am not a fan of DWTS, I did watch it yesterday in FF speed til Mary was on. It was fun to watch her. I also couldn’t help to also fast forward to Sean Spicer to watch him. That was sad.

This was on the book store's site today. Up until yesterday, she was still going to appear there

This event has been cancelled due to unforeseen scheduling circumstances however, we do have signed copies!
    Mary Wilson
    One of the Founding member of THE SUPREMES, Mary Wilson, will sign her new book:
    Supreme Glamour
    It is very unprofessional to cancel a long standing engagement, but having said that i do understand why she prefers to do a higher profile and higher paying engagement that could have long term benefits. It should have been cancelled as soon as her participation in Dancing with the stars was confirmed. She knew she was appearing on this show several weeks ago because i knew she was appearing on it several weeks ago. My friend who is a reporter for a infamous magazine in LA told me early last month.
    She needs to have better representatives to avoid upsetting fans in the future. Lessons should be learned and heeded here.

She needs to have better representatives to avoid upsetting fans in the future. Lessons should be learned and heeded here.
    Or her fans should understand that she's 75 years old doing a high energy dance competition and she is physically unable to do everything she did when she was a Supreme, going from one part of the globe to another in a matter of hours with energy to spare. I always side eye the people who cry when the legends cancel events. Folks used to bitch and moan when Aretha cancelled stuff. I always figured the woman was elderly and it's one thing to make a commitment for X date months in advance when you're feeling good and then another to have to drag your elderly butt out of bed to fulfill the commitment. Of course in Ree's case as it turned out the woman was suffering with cancer and just didn't want people to know. I'm sure fans who wanted to see Mary at the Apollo or get their book signed are disappointed, and rightfully so, but I don't think it takes a genius to figure out that Mary going from DWTS in LA to gigs and such in NY might be too taxing on her. Didn't she have some kind of heart condition at one point? I'd rather have an alive and healthy Mary than a Mary trying to do too much and ends up sick or worse because of it.

If I were Mary, I would cancel everything until after her run on "DWTS". She can do the book signings later. This publicity is going to have a huge positive impact on her book sales.

Had i been addressing a UK audience i most certainly would have said arse instead of ass, but i taylor my choice of words for the appropriate audience. If this had been addressing an Australian audience the language would have been altogether more spicy!
    Ha! Love it. I don't see you as speaking Scouse any time soon! I really, REALLY, hope you get to see Ms. P.P. - and let the lady know just how much I'm loving the new LP.

Mu guess is that the publisher will not be lovin' this latest Cancellation Mishap, but perhaps the signing will be rescheduled. She does draw a decent crowd at signings.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    As most people acknowledge, and Marv is having a teenage girly moment over, many of Mary’s gigs are hard sells and she has to appear on bills with multiple artists

Dancing With The Stars is a good diversion from the music
    1. I think it is a tween girly fan moment; 2. She always does better when she doesn't sing

Ha! Love it. I don't see you as speaking Scouse any time soon! I really, REALLY, hope you get to see Ms. P.P. - and let the lady know just how much I'm loving the new LP.
    I am working on it my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Or her fans should understand that she's 75 years old doing a high energy dance competition and she is physically unable to do everything she did when she was a Supreme, going from one part of the globe to another in a matter of hours with energy to spare. I always side eye the people who cry when the legends cancel events. Folks used to bitch and moan when Aretha cancelled stuff. I always figured the woman was elderly and it's one thing to make a commitment for X date months in advance when you're feeling good and then another to have to drag your elderly butt out of bed to fulfill the commitment. Of course in Ree's case as it turned out the woman was suffering with cancer and just didn't want people to know. I'm sure fans who wanted to see Mary at the Apollo or get their book signed are disappointed, and rightfully so, but I don't think it takes a genius to figure out that Mary going from DWTS in LA to gigs and such in NY might be too taxing on her. Didn't she have some kind of heart condition at one point? I'd rather have an alive and healthy Mary than a Mary trying to do too much and ends up sick or worse because of it.
    It would be asking a lot for a 75 year old lady to be flying from coast to coast when she has all those commitments with her dancing. I do readily concede that, but the event should have been cancelled several weeks ago rather than just a couple of days before the event. There is no excuse for that. It is unfair on those fans who had been looking forward to the event for weeks. Her management whoever they may be be are not behaving in a professional manner.

I've had one experience where I actually got to the venue for a show [[Cissy Houston) only to find it it had been canceled due to poor ticket sales and refunds would be issued by mail if we would surrender our tickets and leave our addresses. Eventually I did get the refund.

Another time, however, I went to a show where the two headline acts [[Carla Thomas and Sam & Dave) did not show up at all and were replaced by The Delfonics, but this was not announced until the opening acts had finished their sets. One of the opening acts was billed as Honey Cone but in actuality was a bogus group who called themselves "The Honeycombs," but in the ads for the show the erroneous name was displayed. After the show I contacted the Better Business Bureau and the Office of Consumer Affairs to see how I could get a refund from the promoter, and was told there was virtually no way that would ever happen. I see that this sort of thing is still going on. There's no excuse for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    I've had one experience where I actually got to the venue for a show [[Cissy Houston) only to find it it had been canceled due to poor ticket sales and refunds would be issued by mail if we would surrender our tickets and leave our addresses. Eventually I did get the refund.

Another time, however, I went to a show where the two headline acts [[Carla Thomas and Sam & Dave) did not show up at all and were replaced by The Delfonics, but this was not announced until the opening acts had finished their sets. One of the opening acts was billed as Honey Cone but in actuality was a bogus group who called themselves "The Honeycombs," but in the ads for the show the erroneous name was displayed. After the show I contacted the Better Business Bureau and the Office of Consumer Affairs to see how I could get a refund from the promoter, and was told there was virtually no way that would ever happen. I see that this sort of thing is still going on. There's no excuse for it.
    I read people were having a hard time getting their refunds for Return to Love at Jones Beach. The person working at Ticketmaster laughed at the handful of people demanding refunds and a fight nearly broke out. LOL!

It would be asking a lot for a 75 year old lady to be flying from coast to coast when she has all those commitments with her dancing. I do readily concede that, but the event should have been cancelled several weeks ago rather than just a couple of days before the event. There is no excuse for that. It is unfair on those fans who had been looking forward to the event for weeks. Her management whoever they may be be are not behaving in a professional manner.
    Maybe it took her until a couple days before the event to realize something had to give. Fans of Mary Wilson who complain about this might want to keep some perspective. At this point in the game, if you're going to spend money on or make plans around the legends at this stage in life, you have to be prepared for some changes.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    I see that this sort of thing is still going on. There's no excuse for it.
    Mary Wilson's cancellations do not fit either of the scenarios you presented here. However, those things do in fact continue to happen, and will always happen, as they always have.

I read people were having a hard time getting their refunds for Return to Love at Jones Beach. The person working at Ticketmaster laughed at the handful of people demanding refunds and a fight nearly broke out. LOL!
    They had a right to complain, but at least they knew ahead of time that the show was cancelled. I'd be much more pissed if I showed up somewhere to see a show only to then be told that the show was a no go. I could've saved that gas money.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    They had a right to complain, but at least they knew ahead of time that the show was cancelled. I'd be much more pissed if I showed up somewhere to see a show only to then be told that the show was a no go. I could've saved that gas money.
    Uh uh, no they did not know. The day or two before Jones Beach was cancelled, that show played MSG [[Madison Square Garden) in the city. For weeks on Long Island there was a "silent" campaign going on against that show and that tour! LOL! By the time it came to New York, the folks out on Long Island had decided that Diana Ross could go pound salt!

Hmmm ... not sure I can't quite agree with that; 75 ain't dead and one can sleep on an airplane. I have to still go with poor sales/expectation being more the bugagoo for these Cancellation Mishaps. Otherwise one would presume Wilson would have made statements on her SM accounts.

On Mary's website, there is a schedule showing Mary doing DWTS this past Monday, then she is in NY area doing book signings and an appearance at a Niagara Falls casino. She is booked the entire week on the East Coast and then the schedule shows her going to the west coast this weekend to do DWTSS on Monday. So when would she rehearse?

https://www.marywilson.com/schedule

I think it took a week's rehearsal for Mary to realize that she has to be one hundred percent devoted to this if she expects to do well and it was only then that she realized that she couldn't keep these commitments.

DWTS is s good gig for her. She is performing [[although not singing) in front of a national audience, something that she has not had for some time

Her gig at Senaca is 99% sold out and I’m sure she’ll play it.

Ha ha. I do not and will not speak scouse!
    On a more positive note i have sorted PP Arnold for next month. Thank you for the heads up!

I live in a small city in Canada. I only saw Aretha Franklin once near Minneapolis [[6 hr dive for me) outside venue, and she was awful. She exuded a didn't want to be there attitude, didn't take off her coat, did a perfunctory phone in performance. However, she did show up on time. After that when she was headlining, Jazz Festivals in Montreal or Toronto, I wouldn't go, she was cancelling more than she was performing.
    Diana Ross I travel for and she is a sure thing and gives more than 100%. Saw her this year in Las Vegas and in Toronto.
    I have seen Martha Reeves and Ronnie Spector in a small club in Minneapolis, which is a 7 hr drive, and they were professional and the audience had a great time. Me too!
    I would see Mary Wilson if she ventured close to me, I know she comes from the stock of appreciating her fans and putting on a good show. She would do well in this Minneapolis venue.
    People fly and rent hotel rooms to see entertainers they like, so it's a big expense, not just gas money.
    Last edited by drlorne; 09-19-2019 at 09:30 PM.

Call the credit card company and protest. Sometimes that works.