[REMOVE ADS]

Vinyl records will soon outsell CDs for first time since 1986

https://www.cnet.com/news/vinyl-reco...me-since-1986/

Not only have vinyl albums enjoyed constant growth in recent years, Rolling Stone reports, but CD sales have plummeted, according to the Recording Industry Association of America's 2019 midyear report.
    CD sales are still ahead of vinyl sales, but barely, and dropping fast. Vinyl records earned $224.1 million over the first six months of 2019, selling 8.6 million units. CDs earned $247.9 million, selling 18.6 million units. Rolling Stone says last year's RIAA report shows CD sales are declining three times as fast as vinyl sales are growing.
    Just because vinyl may soon outpace CDs doesn't mean music lovers are trading in their iTunes accounts for turntables. Streaming remains the most popular way to consume music, accounting for 80% of industry revenues, and growing 26%, to $4.3 billion, for the first half of 2019.

CD’s are now considered a thing of the past. Most young people stream music and don’t buy CD’s. New cars don’t even come with CD players anymore. Vinyl is considered a hip thing now. What’s old is new again.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    https://www.cnet.com/news/vinyl-reco...me-since-1986/

Not only have vinyl albums enjoyed constant growth in recent years, Rolling Stone reports, but CD sales have plummeted, according to the Recording Industry Association of America's 2019 midyear report.
    CD sales are still ahead of vinyl sales, but barely, and dropping fast. Vinyl records earned $224.1 million over the first six months of 2019, selling 8.6 million units. CDs earned $247.9 million, selling 18.6 million units. Rolling Stone says last year's RIAA report shows CD sales are declining three times as fast as vinyl sales are growing.
    Just because vinyl may soon outpace CDs doesn't mean music lovers are trading in their iTunes accounts for turntables. Streaming remains the most popular way to consume music, accounting for 80% of industry revenues, and growing 26%, to $4.3 billion, for the first half of 2019.
    Being a music lover and enthusiast I can't say I didn't see this coming Jack. Vinyl sales have been on the rise for years and there's just a time for everything.life is just a circle,what goes around comes around. The CD may be popular again with some sort of innovative improvement,if the cassette can make a comeback anything is possible. This transition period is good for the industry because vinyl albums turn a bigger profit being more than double the price of a Compact Disc.It's great for the younger generation too because they get a chance to appreciate a format that's been around longer than any of the others without the veterans having to explain much about it's history and stellar sound quality. There will always be a CD market even if it's niche in the coming years,so companies will manufacture according to that percentage. I love it all and can embrace it. Thanks for the article.

Oh happy day!

Have any of us gotten into the 'new' lp phase? I haven't as of yet.

As I discussed several months ago in my "new car" thread, I am devastated with the phasing out of CDs. I was fortunate enough to find a 2019 car that had a CD player but I will be shocked if any models beyond that continue to have them. So when I am ready to trade this car in around 2023 or whenever, if anybody has a used 2019 [[or older) that only has 40,000 miles on it, look me up!!!

I still prefer CDs.

Adele is rumored to be releasing new music soon so CD sales might go back up lmao

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Adele is rumored to be releasing new music soon so CD sales might go back up lmao
    Who????????

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    She has indeed been back in the studio, but i am not sure if the album is scheduled to drop in 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Who????????
    The woman who sold more music in one hour than Mary Wilson did in over 40 years as a solo artist.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    The woman who sold more music in one hour than Mary Wilson did in over 40 years as a solo artist.
    Adele is a keeper. Great songwriter and singer. And seems to be a quite grounded lady as well. Love her.

Additionally the new Taylor Swift has moved a lot of cds.

In the UK, limited edition releases from new acts are now available on 7", 10" & 12" vinyl [[though not cheap) PLUS they are even releasing some new stuff just on CASSETTE [[making a come-back of sorts with teenagers) ….
    https://www.discogs.com/The-1975-102/release/12977643
    Last edited by jsmith; 09-13-2019 at 09:48 AM.

Vinyl forever-yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

You're right Jai !