[REMOVE ADS]

Ideal stage act - the Scherrie years

we had a couple fun threads going recently where we shared ideas for how a DRATS or a MJC stage show could have been retooled for the better. how they might have tried to move away from the old "cabaret" act and into something more contemporary.

but we hadn't discussed a potential stage show for the Scherrie years!

IMO the MSS lineup was one of the best, from a studio perspective. yet their videos i've seen and audios of their stage shows are a bit of a mess. more so than during the jean years. I don't think Scherrie was really utilized to her full capability. And Susaye had to reuse existing music and charts [[he ain't heavy, people) for some of her solo numbers.

So what would you have done differently?

for the MSS years, i'd do:

1. Let yourself go - the intro is just perfect. exciting instrumental, could vamp it quite a while as the girls make their way to/onto the stage. plus sets a fun party atmosphere
    2. 60s medley - stop [[scherrie lead), love is like an itching [[susaye lead), keep me hanging on [[mary lead), back in my arms again [[scherrie and lots of 3part singing)
    3. stoned love
    4. ballad medley - Don't let my teardrops [[Mary lead), we should be closer [[susaye lead) My world is empty [[scherrie lead). this might be too odd to pull a 60s song in with 2 70s. but i love how scherrie made this more sexy
    5. You're what's missing
    6. Sup 75 medley - Color My world, can't stop a girl, you turn me around, give out but don't give up
    7. He's my man - but skip that stupid routine of fighting over a guy. maybe instead each girl spots a guy in the audience and plays around with teasing them. maybe one comes up on stage.
    8. Come into my life
    9. Sweet Dream machine and new "Dream" segment - skip the old singers and go with something more current and sexy. the "sweet dream machine" transports them to a land where disco ladies rule! LOLOLOLOL what about something playing off of Charlie's Angels? or maybe it's a current disco medley of female songs - Susaye could do Love to love you or I feel love, Scherrie could do turn the beat around, mary could do love hangover! or maybe it's a "sexy" medley of their songs - High Energy, Only You, Early morning love. then they reprise back into Sweet Dream Machine.
    10 don't want to be tied down - good "women empowerment" song after the sexy disco segment
    11 You are the heart of me
    12. driving wheel
    13. Love i never knew - and this is used to as an audience participation number and introducing the band. go out into the audience or bring them up on stage for a dance-off or something
    14. I'm gonna let my heart

I like your ideas! Here's what my Mary, Scherrie and Susaye set list would be like, also this would be if they were more disciplined with their vocals live [[instead of all 3 shouting to sing lead all at once), they ditched the messy and frantic choreography and ditched the gowns.

1. Stoned Love [[Scherrie comes out alone for the intro)
    2. Let Yourself Go
    3. It's All Been Said Before
    4. He's My Man
    5. My World Is Empty Without You [[Scherrie, ballad version)
    6. [[Intro by Mary talking about the old days) Reflections/The Way We Were
    7. He's My Man
    8. Come Into My Life
    9. Touch
    10. Up the Ladder to the Roof [[Scherrie lead)
    11. Love Is Like An Itching [[Susaye lead)
    12. You're My Driving Wheel
    13. High Energy
    14. Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You
    15. I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking

^ oh yes! i didn't even BEGIN to discuss the changes necessary in wardrobe, choreography, singing lolol

Now in the High Energy videos, i thought the more complex choreography was good. it was sloppily executed [[as if they didn't bother to even practice) and the camera angles selected weren't always the best ones. but the idea was there. But then singing live [[on stage or tv), they needed to edit the choreography. it just left them breathless and interfered with their singing.

some of the Susaye gowns started to get better IMO. the blue fringe ones from Udo, the striped brown gowns & the orange gowns from Soul Train. same with the tuxes. these were all more form fitting and better suited for the choreography. as were the red wrap gowns from MSC. but those huge green chiffon ball gowns just weren't right for disco. neither were the ice blue ball gowns, the pink dress/pant outfit from Soul Train, the Jesus robes, the white/yellow/orange He's My Man gowns from Tonight show, etc.

I thought the stools they used on Soul Train were interesting. again execution might not have been the best but was something different at least. curious how they visually presented themselves on a huge stage like the infamous Madison Sq Garden or Caesar's Palace shows.