[REMOVE ADS]

Doo Wop Question

Has anyone ever seen an actual copy of the Moonglows "Beatnik/Junior" on Chess?

If you have one, let me know. I'm just wondering if it was ever released on record.

Thanks.

LEFTY

I do not recall ever seeing one but a check of Discogs reveals the following:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Moonglow...elease/8669871

Obviously only in the Netherlands.

However, soulfulkindamusic.net reveals this information for the Chess label:

1770 - The Moonglows - Beatnik / Junior - 1960
    Last edited by woodward; 09-09-2019 at 03:16 PM. Reason: additional information

Right. I saw both of these two. I am starting to think that it was planned and never actually released.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  21.1 KB
    I've looked through literally millions of 45s between 1953 and 1995, and much of that was 1960 and later, and I never saw that Chess release [[1770). I've seen it listed on many record label discographies, but never saw it physically. I believe that it was planned to be released [[slated), but never pressed up [[probably not even scheduled for pressing. A lot of records die at that point. Some are scheduled for pressing and stopped before. Others, like Frank Wilson's Soul record were pulled back after only the test pressings were pressed.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  21.1 KB
    Here's a photo from a You-Tube video. It appears that it is NOT an original Chess pressing from early 1960, but, rather, a facsimile re-issue [[late issue of previously unreleased) or bootleg of a Chess release that was never pressed up. That is because I am sure that that oldest Chess 45 label design was NOT used anymore in ANY pressing plant after the beginning of the 1700s. The design changed to an all blue background with no Chess pieces. I've seen literally millions of 45 records, and never seen a Chess record on the old label design past 1700. So, yes, Chess 1770 was issued, but only many, many years later, as an "oldie". It was likely never on vinyl during the 1950s or 1960s. I'm sure it was recorded in 1959, but Chess 1770 might possibly have been released at the very beginning of 1960, HAD it actually been issued.
    Last edited by robb_k; 09-11-2019 at 05:48 AM.

Thanks so much for this, Robb. I cannot thank you enough for your detailed response. This was exactly my suspicion, but I have not gone through a million 45s myself, so I don't have the expertise to make this call. Luckily, there are people like you around who have the knowledge. This forum can be unbelievably useful in this way!

LEFTY