[REMOVE ADS]

The Number One’s: Love Hangover

Diana Ross' Game Changer. Still love this song now as when it was first released.

A most brilliant and classic song featuring a perfect vocal. Never understood why the song was not at the VERY least a top five hit in the UK. Got to No 10.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 09-09-2019 at 12:37 PM.

I’m being picky, but it’s not one of my favourite Diana songs done in concert - I think the ballad part gets shortened too much

Only the full length version works for me especially the mix when Diana really lets rip!

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    A most brilliant and classic song featuring a perfect vocal. Never understood why the song was not at the VERY least a top five hit in the UK. Got to No 10.
    Only a theory. 'Do You Know...' only became a hit weeks after release and was still climbing when 'Hangover' entered. That caused 'Do You Know...' to fall and both releases suffered as a result. As I said it's only a theory!

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Only the full length version works for me especially the mix when Diana really lets rip!
    Me too copley. I can take or leave the 7" version, but the album version is awesome.

A lot of fans wanted the full length version and therefore bought the album instead.

Only a theory. 'Do You Know...' only became a hit weeks after release and was still climbing when 'Hangover' entered. That caused 'Do You Know...' to fall and both releases suffered as a result. As I said it's only a theory!
    If that were the case copley then you are most probably right . As with "Love Hangover", i always thought the beautiful "Theme From Mahogany" should have charted higher in the UK. Both songs are extremely commercial.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I’m being picky, but it’s not one of my favourite Diana songs done in concert - I think the ballad part gets shortened too much
    Whenever Diana performs "Love Hangover" live, for me she leaves out all the elements that she used in the studio to make the song so sexy and sensual sounding. In fact all the ingredients that made it stand out. She tends to start with a lot of those breathy, if slightly over the top ahhhs but never really abandons herself to the song. On occasion it's almost like she wants to get it over with and is only performing the song because it was such a huge hit.

Whenever Diana performs "Love Hangover" live, for me she leaves out all the elements that she used in the studio to make the song so sexy and sensual sounding. In fact all the ingredients that made it stand out. She tends to start with a lot of those breathy, if slightly over the top ahhhs but never really abandons herself to the song. On occasion it's almost like she wants to get it over with and is only performing the song because it was such a huge hit.
    That is perhaps because she never cared much for it. Most performers have songs in their back catalogue that they dislike but are obliged to record. Love Hangover is one such example.

^it's so interesting to learn which of her songs Diana doesn't really love. and when looking them over it's amazing that there seems to be quite a few of her most memorable/popular tunes that, frankly, she's not in love with.

As for LH, i absolutely recognize it as an important song within her career and was a completely new sound for both her and the dance floor. to have the ballad and dance combined was quite new.

That said, it isn't one that i play often

I do enjoy hearing the different versions that have been released through the EE sets. Like the very different backing vocals on the diana 1980 disc 2. or the alt ballad lead vocal take. or the unedited dance lead vocal on the DR 76 EE.

I've always LOVED Love Hangover [[and remember the joy when I found out the album version was much longer than the single). Also love this review which explains so well why the song works so well [[you feel Ross surrendering to the beat). A classic indeed and rightfully receiving a 10/10.

This is the song that. Introduced me to Diana. Love it .i also don't care much for the live version . The extended version is sweet.love the adlibs

I've always loved LH, too. It's never fallen out of my favor. Whether long or short version, I stay and listen. The long album version was my first exposure, when I bought the DR '76 album with that beautiful cover. I was mesmerized on first listen. It underscored Diana's remarkable versatility and interpretive skill. I was happy to hear it released as a single. To this day, I think it is one of the best disco records ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    That is perhaps because she never cared much for it. Most performers have songs in their back catalogue that they dislike but are obliged to record. Love Hangover is one such example.
    That is really strange to me. She never leaves this song out of her set list since it has been released. But yet she has left out TMITM and now leaves out her biggest hit of her career Endless Love. If she really didn’t care for it I don’t think she would have a problem leaving it out. IMO.

The best ever version!

'... the sort of dizzy rush of joy that you can only ever feel in a packed nightclub.'. That states LH perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    That is really strange to me. She never leaves this song out of her set list since it has been released. But yet she has left out TMITM and now leaves out her biggest hit of her career Endless Love. If she really didn’t care for it I don’t think she would have a problem leaving it out. IMO.
    There were a few times when I saw Diana in concert [[1982, 1983, 1984) when she didn't perform it.

That said, for so many years, it was used as a vehicle for her to change clothes. Though it is not one of my favorites, I was glad when she started singing more of it again.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    There were a few times when I saw Diana in concert [[1982, 1983, 1984) when she didn't perform it.

That said, for so many years, it was used as a vehicle for her to change clothes. Though it is not one of my favorites, I was glad when she started singing more of it again.
    That’s true. Your right she did leave it out in the early 80s. I really don’t care for it live anymore. It wouldn’t hurt me if she took it out. Lol

I remember her getting changed on stage in a tent when I last saw her do it. It’s a ‘breather’ song in the live set. Not very demanding.

Personally I preferred the PWL remix of it in the late 80s. The original feels very flimsy by comparison.

The best ever version!

I think "Love Hangover" is a fantastic song. This version alas does nothing for me. Not as tight as the lp version and Diana's voice sounds kind of wispy. The released version is a solid,thumping dance floor filler which imo cannot be improved upon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    It seems sad in a way that Diana seems to dislike so many of her own recordings. Does she have a favourite RCA song i wonder?.

I know Love Hangover was a #1 hit but how well did it sell?

You'd have thought it would have been a million seller but J Randy Taraborrelli never mentions it and I was surprised that it never appeared in Joseph Murrells' World Million Sellers book.

It sold well over 100k in the UK and hit big in some other territories so that would suggest it was quite a way below the 1m in the US?

It seems sad in a way that Diana seems to dislike so many of her own recordings. Does she have a favourite RCA song i wonder?.
    I hate to say this but she loved Why do fools fall in love! Can you believe that? She always loved that song and almost recorded it for the Black album, but Berry decided upon Smile instead. It would probably have turned out better had someone else produced it for her.
    Thankfully she also liked Missing You and Only Love can conquer all from Take me Higher, along with Heart Don't Change My Mind and When you tell me that you love me. Seem to recall her also saying she enjoyed performing Forever Young.

^that's a good question. i wonder how many people though opted to buy the lp to get the longer version? and then there was the 12" release. what was the flip side to that?

It was a huge hit but would be interesting to see what the sales were of the 45. i'm sure the lp was helped considerably by people wanting the long one

I personally love Why Do Fools Fall In Love [[and what a video!) - it is in my top 10 favourite Diana records.

It's just an upbeat happy pure pop song - immensely popular in Western Europe - #1 in Belgium and the Netherlands and #4 in Denmark and the UK where it was certified Silver. Actually one of Diana's Top5 selling physical singles here.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    I personally love Why Do Fools Fall In Love [[and what a video!) - it is in my top 10 favourite Diana records.

It's just an upbeat happy pure pop song - immensely popular in Western Europe - #1 in Belgium and the Netherlands and #4 in Denmark and the UK where it was certified Silver. Actually one of Diana's Top5 selling physical singles here.
    Glad you enjoyed it Florence. I found it to be a poorly produced track. It all sounds so tacky to me. I just wish a more experienced producer had been in control.

I like it too. Such a happy song. Judging by audience reaction when she sings it live, many others like it also.

I can see why Fools and Hangover are very popular with the public

Fools is such a happy song.

If Diana extended the ballad portion of Hangover in concert, I think it would be more popular with the fans - but maybe not the public

I dislike 'Fools' by anyone!

The full version of "Love Hangover" is awesome

That real long version on Diana extended has be jumping around my apartment every time i play it.

I can't remember who the DJ was, but when the 12" was played for the first time on London local radio, he said on air that the switchboard had never lit up before so many times for people phoning in requesting to hear the track again. A truly magnificent record.

There was a remix in 89..I think that was good.always loved this song.
    I remember early on she would lip sync to this a got some bad pr on it

I would have thought the game changer for Diana was Touch Me in the Morning

Or maybe Ain't no mountain high enough or Lady Sings the Blues? There are several potential game changers in Diana's career.

"Love Hangover" was a bang up-to-date, in tune with what's happening now moment in Diana Ross's career.

I think the phrase 'game changer' perhaps means a swerve in style, or acceptance by a new audience segment.

Yes that makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I think the phrase 'game changer' perhaps means a swerve in style, or acceptance by a new audience segment.
    In that case surely Lady Sings The Blues would qualify as a game changer?

Many singers think that, even if Disco is great, fun, whatever, there is nothing for them to sing.

As a singer, Diana's approach to singing is closer to Streisand than Chaka Khan. She looks for song to express a story, feelings but not pure music.

Love Hangover is a mood song, great as studio work. She cannot ad lib on stage for minutes... All she can do is changing costume. When she performed a longer version at the Midnight Show, it was not that great.

I wonder why she choose LH for the Muppets ?

For me Love Hangover was the game changer.got my attention. The cover of that album and then BIM .
    Both great albums. My favorite Ross decade

I like a full length version of "Love Hangover" by Diana Ross in concert. The short version is too much chair dancing for me. Ha! Ha!