[REMOVE ADS]

Groups Using Their Names in Their Song

A friend of mine posed this query in another forum: Artists use their names in songs all the time now, but did they back then? The first two lines of Martha & the Vandellas' song, "Dance Party" from the album of the same name are, "Vandellas dance party." Are there other songs from the Motown 60's that includes the group's name? I believe my friend was referring to regular studio recordings and not from any live albums. I do know of several where individual names are mentioned; however, not the group name.
    Last edited by jobucats; 09-07-2019 at 04:32 PM.

The temps did it more than anyone,but in the eighties.

Diana mentions the Supremes' name near the end of the studio version of SHAKE.

One of the guys [[Jermaine, I believe) says the Jackson 5's name during HALLELUJAH DAY.

The Jackson 5 mentioned their group name in "Have yourself a merry little Christmas", " Goin' back to Indiana" and were mentioned by Stevie Wonder for their backing vocals in "You haven't done nothin'"

Three good examples:
    The Supremes' "Back In My Arms Again" [[Diana mentions both Mary & Flo's names at the beginning of the third verse)

The Marvelettes' "I'm Too Strong To Be Strung Along" [[Gladys mentions Juanita's name in the song).

Jr. Walker & The All Stars' "Come See About Me" [['see about Junior-that's me hey!').

I know you said groups but...

"I was made to please her ... you know Stevie ain't gonna leave her no"

In Papa was a rolling stone... you can hear one of the Tempts [[Dennis?) say "Otis"

Marvin & Tammi and Marvin & Kim often mentioned the others' names.
    Last edited by rovereab; 09-08-2019 at 07:02 AM.

I realize that this doesn't fit the question, as Marvin is not a group and does not mention his own name, but I really love that line in "Praise" when he sings: "Stevie, we really dig you. Hope you don't mind this riff from you."

Rick James & The Temptations- "Standing on the Top". Rick sings "Temptations Sing!"

Stevie Wonder sings "Jackson 5 sing along again say doo doo wop" in You Haven't Done Nothing.

The Supremes & Four Tops - "Baby, You've Got What it Takes" . "Jean you're Supreme", "Levi, you're a Top", "Mary, you're too much", "Obie You've got what it takes".

the Vandellas sing "Who'll take Marys' love, its guaranteed for a lifetime" on Mary Wells' "Guaranteed For A Life time".

Thanks, everyone, for all of the names. My friend, from the other forum, was looking for GROUP names that were mentioned in the Motown songs of the 60s. It appears only 2 submissions [[which are fun to read) fit that criteria so far: At the end of the Supremes' "Shake" recording, where Supremes is called out and in the Jackson 5 "Have Yourself a Very Merry Christmas" where their group name is mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    I realize that this doesn't fit the question, as Marvin is not a group and does not mention his own name, but I really love that line in "Praise" when he sings: "Stevie, we really dig you. Hope you don't mind this riff from you."
    Same thing for me when Marvin says in "Funky Space Reincarnation" ...."and you little Miss Birdsong, you come with me....."

The Temptations reference themselves on 1987's "Little Things"

I just don't recall a time when the Temps said "Temptations" in a song...by any chance do you know of one offhand? I'd love to check it out. thanks!!

Thank you! going to listen!

Thank you so much to my friend jobucats, and to all of you who responded. it's so interesting to investigate the beginnings of some of the more modern trends. do you think songwriters had anything to do with this? or were the artists sort of ad-libbing?

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Thanks, everyone, for all of the names. My friend, from the other forum, was looking for GROUP names that were mentioned in the Motown songs of the 60s. It appears only 2 submissions [[which are fun to read) fit that criteria so far: At the end of the Supremes' "Shake" recording, where Supremes is called out and in the Jackson 5 "Have Yourself a Very Merry Christmas" where their group name is mentioned.
    Got it; on The Temptations' "Happy Landing", Paul Williams can be heard saying 'Temptations right here' just before the beginning of the the final verse.

Quote Originally Posted by lucabella View Post
    Thank you so much to my friend jobucats, and to all of you who responded. it's so interesting to investigate the beginnings of some of the more modern trends. do you think songwriters had anything to do with this? or were the artists sort of ad-libbing?
    Glad to see you made it to the forum! There are lots of smart, detailed, and informed fans on here.

"MAME.....You make the Four Tops feel like Kings.....Mame"!

The temps mention themselves on-little things-silent night-evil woman-you're the one.

I'm A Sucker For Your Love — Teena Marie

The Four of Us - Four Tops

Two others ...

On “Joined Together,” DRATS and The Temptations... “Opening Medley” ... “Oh, Cindy... and Mary... Here Comes Diane.”

And I have in storage the two-CD set for the 25th Anniversary, on “Heigh-Ho,” my memory is that Diana is calling out “Cindy” ... “Mary”...

There was a song, on the tip of my tongue, exclaimed: "...sing it for me Otis!" Even more unsure if the lyric was referring to Otis Williams or Otis Redding. Methinks I must have heard the tune while in the womb! Someone please put this to rest for me!!! Help, SDF!!

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    There was a song, on the tip of my tongue, exclaimed: "...sing it for me Otis!" Even more unsure if the lyric was referring to Otis Williams or Otis Redding. Methinks I must have heard the tune while in the womb! Someone please put this to rest for me!!! Help, SDF!!
    See post 7 above re PWARS - is that the one?

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    Marvin & Tammi and Marvin & Kim often mentioned the others' names.
    And with Mary Wells too - for example "Mary won't you let me get on your good side / If I did then Marvin it would hurt my pride ...." WTMWYB

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Could you be thinking of Lakeside's version of Maclen's "I Want to Hold Your Hand" when Mark Wood throws the lead over to Otis Stokes?

At the end of "Love [[Makes Me Do Foolish Things)", I swear Diana sings "saddened Supremes".

Alright is everybody ready?.....yeah Smokey!

"Mickey's Monkey" - The Mighty Miracles

That jam where, a few years & threads ago, Marvin asks [[as random folks would wander into Hitsville studio recordings: "Hey, Don Hey, Don [[Cornelius) I didn't know you was here, man." Not entirely what this thread was asking.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    You may as well have asked for songs that mention the days of the week 'cuz either way, you're not getting your specific question answered.

On the Where Did Our Love Go Expanded set, there is a previously unreleased song, "This Is It", where a sort of MC opens the song by saying, "The Fantastic Supremes!" https://youtu.be/Wvw9G_82Dx0