[REMOVE ADS]

Strange Question

It's common for artists to put their names in the lyrics of their songs these days, but was that also the case in the 60's? The first two lines of the single, "Dance Party" by Martha and the Vandellas, are "Vandellas Dance Party". [[i realize that's the name of the album as well) i just can't think of another song from that time period that includes the singers' names in the lyrics.

Tighten up...hi we're archie bell and the drells from houston.

that's true!! i never thought of that one.

"There Was a Time" by James Brown: "Until you see me do the James Brown, hoo"

The Clay McMurray produced "Stand by Me" by Spyder Turner. Towards the end of the song he sings "and my name is Spyder Turner and I'll get down on my knees for you baby.....".

thank you, everyone, for your responses. they are really interesting and I'm going to look for them...I was kind of hoping for group names, more than individual artist's names. The Temptations might have done it...not sure, though.

Archie Bell & The Drells
    Do The Choo Choo - Groups Name
    Jammin In Houston - His Name
    Love Is Gonna Rain On You - His name
    Last edited by mr_june; 09-09-2019 at 02:56 PM.

The first words in the Time's "Wild And Loose" are Morris Day shouting "What time it's it?", which was also the name of the album.

Quote Originally Posted by lucabella View Post
    thank you, everyone, for your responses. they are really interesting and I'm going to look for them...I was kind of hoping for group names, more than individual artist's names. The Temptations might have done it...not sure, though.
    The Jackson 5's "Goin' Back To Indiana" has the line 'this comes to you from The Jackson 5' during the song's bridge. Also, The Temptations' "Happy Landing" has Paul Williams saying 'Temptations right here' just before the final verse.

Thank you so much! I appreciate the time you and everyone took to answer my question. The Vandellas did it in '64...that seems early. I know the Four Tops also did it, but I think the first time I noticed it was on their Live! at the Roostertail album in '66. I guess I'm thinking that if the writer included it in the lyrics, or the producer allowed it, it was pretty innovative at the time. it's such a common thing now. I guess that's another thing kids today learned from the real legends.

The Temptations did it recently on their "Stay" single.... "Temptations sing... staaay, woo hoo".