[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Well where do I begin. Just played disc 2 for a second time. Have so many new favs.

Heart Full of Soul
    Let's Stay Together
    Mr Soul Brother
    A Little Bit of Heaven [[On A Little Patch Of Earth)**
    How Can I Go On
    Inside
    You'll Never Cherish A Love So True [['Til You Lose It)
    I'm Just A Woman [[Not Strong) **
    You're The Loser Now **
    You Keep Telling Me Lies
    I'll Make It Up To You
    You're My Morning Light
    People Make The World Go Round

** Might just be may fav fav's

Can't wait for you all to hear it. Have been grinning like the Cheshire cat for days.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    It would have been horrible, Gary, if you had received yours today! The packaging is indeed fantastic. A quality release! Blinky has risen from the vaults with a vengeance! Woo Hoo!
    You mean horrible had I NOT received my copy! Yes, Thom, I would have been heartbroken. I just finished reading Joe Marchese's excellent liner notes. There's a ton of text in that 40-page mini-book -- all interesting, too. Again, the photos in this set are very impressive. It all leaves you wishing you had met and gotten to know Blinky during her years at Motown. After a late night dinner, I'll be spinning CD1 under the headphones with an ice-cold beer in hand. Maybe even Disc 2, too!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 11-26-2019 at 12:13 AM.

My copy is here. Thanks to all the people involved putting this masterpiece together. My came with an autographed copy of just the package without the CDs plus my regular copy with the CDs and booklet.

Gary, yes! I just edited my original post to add the NOT! I must've been extremely excited when I posted that!
    Last edited by thommg; 11-27-2019 at 12:04 PM.

Amazon US says the release date isn't until December 13! What is going on with Amazon and why bother to place a pre-order when they are so slow about satisfying the orders? I'm going to see what this costs at Real Gone. $27 on Amazon isn't a bargain, anyway.

I ended up canceling my Amazon order. It was a few dollars cheaper on Real Gone's web site, but a few of their new Christmas albums were also cheaper than on Amazon so I saved a few dollars by buying directly there. Can't wait to hear Blinky's set!

Don't forget to post your reviews on Amazon, guys!
    Last edited by kenneth; 11-26-2019 at 05:37 PM.

I got an email this morning from Deep Discount. I searched for the CD. It showed the $31.99 price to now be $28.76 and the release date is indicated to be 12/13/19.

What confuses me to no end is the distribution cycle of newly released CDs. When they are manufactured in the UK, how are they distributed in the US? I could never figure this out.

I just received the set today. Actually, I received two things. One full package containing the CD's and liner notes, and a second empty package, but with Blinky's signature on it. So I moved the discs and liner notes to the autographed package I haven't had the pleasure of listening to it yet, but I definitely will tomorrow!

An excellent package and the autograph makes it special. A big thanks to Real Gone Music and John for his persistence.Thank you.

Any more reviews of this collection? I'm still waiting on mine to arrive. What are the standout songs?

Well where do I begin. Have played disc 2 for a third time. Have so many new favs.

Heart Full of Soul
    Let's Stay Together
    Mr Soul Brother
    A Little Bit of Heaven [[On A Little Patch Of Earth)**
    How Can I Go On
    Inside
    You'll Never Cherish A Love So True [['Til You Lose It)
    I'm Just A Woman [[Not Strong) **
    You're The Loser Now **
    You Keep Telling Me Lies
    I'll Make It Up To You
    You're My Morning Light
    People Make The World Go Round

** Might just be may fav fav's

Can't wait for you all to hear it. Have been grinning like the Cheshire cat for days.

The best song is IT'S GONNA BE ALWAYS first released in 2010 on CELLARFUL OF MOTOWN VOLUME 4. Anything else is fighting for second place.

Name:  20191207_142429.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  47.4 KB

Name:  20191207_142356.jpg
Views: 1199
Size:  85.2 KB

Name:  20191207_145509.jpg
Views: 1140
Size:  75.9 KB

Blinky has arrived at the Grapes...!! Freed at Last...!!!

Looks and sounds wonderful ...well worth the wait...!

Grape

Having finally had a chance to listen to the collection, I have to say I'm so utterly happy Blinky has finally achieved her moment in the sun. It's an amazing collection of brilliant songs, and it feels almost criminal that she never really got a chance back in the day. And yet again, I get bowled over that quality stuff like this has been sitting in vaults gathering dust for over 5 decades!

Congrats, Blinky, it's an amazing collection, and thanks to everyone who made this amazing set possible. Pat yourselves on the back, that's the least you deserve!

And I'll reiterate others. Thank god Blinky is free at last!

What were Motown thinking not giving this lady the promotion she deserved - such a talent

I first heard of Blinky Williams in 1968 upon the release of ‘I Wouldn’t Change The Man He Is’ which was her initial Motown single. During her five year tenure less than a handful of singles were issued and three albums were scheduled but cancelled. Her duet album with Edwin Starr ‘Just We Two’ was excellent but failed to make an impact. She can be heard on the soundtrack to the movie ‘The Lady Sings The Blues’. Upon leaving Motown Blinky stopped singing secular music in favour of sacred, in other words she went back to her roots.

Jump forward to 1998 and the release of ‘Motown Sings Motown Treasures’ which included Blinky’s previously unreleased version of ‘The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game’. This set the ball rolling, albeit ever so slowly, and during the next 20 years several more tracks escaped from the vaults leading to the successful ‘Free Blinky From The Vaults’ campaign started by ardent fan whose cries were echoed by many others. In autumn 2019 word came that a Blinky project was nearing completion and on 6th December the gates finally opened with the release of the double CD ‘Heart Full of Soul’.

So with the background set what have we got and was it worth the 50 year wait. Well of course it was worth the wait as it’s the best Motown album ever! There are 46 tracks of which over half were previously unreleased. When you hear the quality of the music you will understand when I say that the much delayed release of Blinky’s recordings is the crime of the century. Motown should be ashamed at how Blinky was treated. However, she is finally free and has got the recognition she deserves including from none other than Berry Gordy so all is forgiven.

Blinky’s vocal range is like none of her Motown contemporaries. With a background of singing gospel with the Church of God in Christ Singers [[COGICS) she can sound raw, bluesy, melodic, tender, joyous but always soulful. It’s really impossible to pick out favourite tracks so I’ll name only a few like ‘What More Can I Do’ with Roy Gaines, ‘This Time Last Summer’, ‘A Little Bit Of Heaven [[On A Little Patch Of Earth), ‘I’m Just A Woman [[Not Strong)’, ‘You’re The Loser Now’ & ‘I’ll Make It Up To You’. Oh and I must not forget to mention her version of ‘For Once In My Life’ which blows all others out of the water.

Blinky worked with some of Motown’s greatest writers and producers. Gil Askey, Ashford & Simpson, Frank Wilson, Don Hunter & Clay McMurray the latter also helped to put this package together but sadly died before it was released. The CD has a colourful 40 page booklet packed with information and great photographs.

Blinky herself has been fully active in promoting ‘Heart Full Of Soul’ by appearing in LA and autographing CD’s. Hopefully she will come to the UK in 2020 to perform an ‘out of the vaults’ concert.

For me and many others this has been a dream come true. Making this possible I’d like to thank Andy Skurow, Joe Marchese, Gordon Anderson, Kevin Reeves, the Free Blinky From The Vaults campaign and of course Blinky herself for the wonderful music.

W..O..W....received my copy today...what a set...honestly how good is this...standout track for me is A Little Bit Of Heaven...proper late 60s Motown...thanks to all involved with this...its totally amazing..thank you thank you.

It is really an incredible set an in fact there are better versions of the songs on the album as the single versions, in particular "Iīll always love you" with a full piano intro and an ending. I was shocked as I read that this song was the B-Side of I wouldnīt change the man he is. IMHO Blinkyīs version from this Ed Cobb song is the best ever, her voice is perfectly arranged with the song, it is deep soul and the lyrics comes from the button of her heart directly. I love that song very much !

Some pictures reminds me to other Motown artist, like sitting with the guitars, similar as Tammis Cover for "Irresistible" or her jumping at the end of the booklet like The Marvelettes in thier booklet on Forever 2, it was a photoshooting with the last line up with Ann Bogan.

Thank you very much for this sophisticated, marvelous Blinky Motown Anthology

I'll always love you is absolutely stunning...ive always loved Brendas version but this is just pure class.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    I first heard of Blinky Williams in 1968 upon the release of ‘I Wouldn’t Change The Man He Is’ which was her initial Motown single. During her five year tenure less than a handful of singles were issued and three albums were scheduled but cancelled. Her duet album with Edwin Starr ‘Just We Two’ was excellent but failed to make an impact. She can be heard on the soundtrack to the movie ‘The Lady Sings The Blues’. Upon leaving Motown Blinky stopped singing secular music in favour of sacred, in other words she went back to her roots.

Jump forward to 1998 and the release of ‘Motown Sings Motown Treasures’ which included Blinky’s previously unreleased version of ‘The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game’. This set the ball rolling, albeit ever so slowly, and during the next 20 years several more tracks escaped from the vaults leading to the successful ‘Free Blinky From The Vaults’ campaign started by ardent fan whose cries were echoed by many others. In autumn 2019 word came that a Blinky project was nearing completion and on 6th December the gates finally opened with the release of the double CD ‘Heart Full of Soul’.

So with the background set what have we got and was it worth the 50 year wait. Well of course it was worth the wait as it’s the best Motown album ever! There are 46 tracks of which over half were previously unreleased. When you hear the quality of the music you will understand when I say that the much delayed release of Blinky’s recordings is the crime of the century. Motown should be ashamed at how Blinky was treated. However, she is finally free and has got the recognition she deserves including from none other than Berry Gordy so all is forgiven.

Blinky’s vocal range is like none of her Motown contemporaries. With a background of singing gospel with the Church of God in Christ Singers [[COGICS) she can sound raw, bluesy, melodic, tender, joyous but always soulful. It’s really impossible to pick out favourite tracks so I’ll name only a few like ‘What More Can I Do’ with Roy Gaines, ‘This Time Last Summer’, ‘A Little Bit Of Heaven [[On A Little Patch Of Earth), ‘I’m Just A Woman [[Not Strong)’, ‘You’re The Loser Now’ & ‘I’ll Make It Up To You’. Oh and I must not forget to mention her version of ‘For Once In My Life’ which blows all others out of the water.

Blinky worked with some of Motown’s greatest writers and producers. Gil Askey, Ashford & Simpson, Frank Wilson, Don Hunter & Clay McMurray the latter also helped to put this package together but sadly died before it was released. The CD has a colourful 40 page booklet packed with information and great photographs.

Blinky herself has been fully active in promoting ‘Heart Full Of Soul’ by appearing in LA and autographing CD’s. Hopefully she will come to the UK in 2020 to perform an ‘out of the vaults’ concert.

For me and many others this has been a dream come true. Making this possible I’d like to thank Andy Skurow, Joe Marchese, Gordon Anderson, Kevin Reeves, the Free Blinky From The Vaults campaign and of course Blinky herself for the wonderful music.
    You've really laid out well what a monumental event this is. Imagine , "brand new" Motown music , suppressed for FIFTY YEARS , now freed and available to be heard at last.

What kind of support is this getting from the music industry? Billboard? And particularly Rolling Stone , a rag I've always detested, but would be delighted to hear they have come through here. What a major musical event for them to celebrate, "lost " Motown music, now found and available for all. The story is particularly exciting because the artist is still with us!!!! Rolling Stone needs to do a feature article and interview of Blinky, including a cover photo of her .
    What a story !!

I can't believe that I have to even suggest such a thing to this "music" reporting icon , it is so self-evident.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 12-13-2019 at 12:40 PM.

Finally got this on Tuesday.

***CD of the Year***

A beautiful package for which all involved really deserve the plaudits and thanks of all us Motown fans. I shall need to listen to the set a few more times before the music really sinks in and strikes home [[at least the tracks I've not heard before) but I'm gravitating towards the end of the second CD initially for the nicest tracks. It's great to hear some old favourites in such good quality too. Will there be any truly stand out tracks for me? I'm not sure yet but I do know I'm not a fan of "I'll Always Love You" as no one can top Brenda for me and I hate those extra voices [[in fact I can't listen to it because of them).
    So glad Blinky has made it from the vaults though.

IMHO this anthology is not a typical Motown thing, itīs a pure soulful Blinky thing. There are different styles of songs, some of them reminds me of the Dionne Warwick tunes in the 70īs. One half of Love reminds me a little bit of Diana RossīLove Lines, Angel and Rhymes.

I truly love this set. I wish I would have some down time to actually listen to it more fully. I know that these songs would have been on my turntable quite often if it was released back in the day. To me, it sounds as though everyone was trying to find the right "sound" for Blinky. Should she be more soulful, more pop, more R&B, more...????? They seem to veer in all directions. What it shows me is the blinky could have sung anything you threw at her. A huge talent! I am thankful this was finally released.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I truly love this set. I wish I would have some down time to actually listen to it more fully. I know that these songs would have been on my turntable quite often if it was released back in the day. To me, it sounds as though everyone was trying to find the right "sound" for Blinky. Should she be more soulful, more pop, more R&B, more...????? They seem to veer in all directions. What it shows me is the blinky could have sung anything you threw at her. A huge talent! I am thankful this was finally released.
    I received my copy the day after Christmas and was blown away by the package itself [[liner notes, photos). Like you, I need a more in depth listening session. She has a great voice and there are some nice covers. The original material kind of fell flat for me upon the first listen and I believe you hit the nail on the head: what is the right "sound" for Blinky? I'll give it another few go arounds and check back!

Just picked up this great CD set from Soundscapes in Toronto...for any fans in the area, Soundscapes is selling it slightly cheaper than Amazon Canada and you'll be supporting your local record store It was nice to see he had several copies available. We had a nice little conversation at the register, as the owner mentioned this was on his list of top 2019 releases. I mentioned the album she did with Edwin and he was surprised...he had never heard of it. Gotta share the gospel of Motown on these streets lol.

I'm more than half way through the first disc. Love everything I'm hearing thus far. I noticed her gospel ending to God Bless the Child, which is similar to Diana's live version. Who copied who?

...or perhaps it wasn't so much who copied who...but rather chalked up to the fact that both Blinky and Diana worked with Gil Askey...