[REMOVE ADS]

James Brown "Live At Home With His Bad Self [[50th Anniversary Edition)" 10/25/2019

No tracklisting yet. The previously unreleased complete performance.

Amazon
    CD:
    https://www.amazon.com/Live-Home-His...s=music&sr=1-1

Vinyl:
    https://www.amazon.com/Live-Home-His...s=music&sr=1-2

I'm guessing this is the actual concert which was used as one-half of the double LP released as "Sex Machine." Two sides were recorded live in Augusta, Georgia, which James considered his home, and two sides were studio recordings overdubbed with canned applause including Side 1 which included both "Sex Machine" and "Brother Rapp." Sides 2 and 3 were the authentic live sides as I recall.

So even though this might be the "full concert," it's likely a shorter program than was released as "Sex Machine."

This would also correspond to the 50th Anniversary tag, as I believe the earlier album was released in 1969.

You're right Kenneth. These notes from the CD reissue of Sex Machine say it all.

@MotownEddie,

Thanks! I have a reissue of "Sex Machine," but I'm not sure it includes those notes, especially by our good friend Harry Weinger.

I always loved that album. It was the first album by James Brown I ever bought. After that, in my usual way, I had to have everything he ever recorded. As Harry says, James "made it work" even though only half the album was really recorded live.

It will be interesting to see the track listing on the new issue.

Description and tracklist for James Brown's Live At Home With His Bad Self:

October 1st, 1969, in Augusta, GA, was a homecoming for James Brown. His band’s smoking performance at the city’s Bell Auditorium was captured on tape, with an intention to make an album of the show the cornerstone of a move back to his roots. Live At Home With His Bad Self was scheduled as a lucrative holiday release. But JB and that band broke up. Soul Brother No. 1 called in a new, young band, featuring Bootsy Collins, and within a few weeks they recorded the funk anthem "Sex Machine". This 50th Anniversary Edition presents the previously unreleased complete performance from Brown's homecoming show for the first time.

Tracklist
    1. Say It Loud I'm Black And I'm Proud
    2. James Brown Thanks And Introduction To World
    3. World
    4. Stage Dialogue
    5. Lowdown Popcorn
    6. Spinning Wheel
    7. If I Ruled The World
    8. Kansas City
    9. Introduction To Startime
    10. I Don't Want Nobody To Give Me Nothing [[Open Up The Door I'll Get It Myself)
    11. I Got The Feelin' / Licking Stick-Licking Stick
    12. Try Me
    13. There Was A Time
    14. Give It Up Or Turnit A Loose
    15. It's A Man's Man's Man's World
    16. Please, Please, Please
    17. I Can't Stand Myself [[When You Touch Me)
    18. Mother Popcorn

Looks like a good find for those of us who do not own previous iterations; thanks!

@MotownEddie, Good for you finding the track listing. I wasn't able to.

Looks like it does include the "live" sides from "Sex Machine," which I guess were actually Sides 3 and 4, unlike what I had recalled earlier.

"Say it Loud, " "World," "Kansas City" and "Try Me" were not on the original album. I believe the rest of the tracks were and made up Sides 3 and 4, except that the "Give It Up or Turnit a Loose" on the original album was part of a medley on Side 2 [[a studio side) so this version should be an actual live recording of the song.

I think that this album along with "Revolution of the Mind: Live at the Apollo, Vol. 3" were two of the best live recordings ever made, not just of James Brown, but bar none. The last songs on "Sex Machine" [[and this new release) are absolutely on fire. The "Revolution of the Mind" concert was so intense, and the band so crisp and hot, I think I had to replace that album a couple times [[remember having to replace albums?).

Wish there was more on this we hadn't heard before but I'll buy it. I've been mourning the fact that James Brown's vaults seem to be empty after years of great releases of stuff we hadn't heard before. I've always felt the worst thing for a collector is to find out there's nothing left to collect!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    @MotownEddie, Good for you finding the track listing. I wasn't able to.

Looks like it does include the "live" sides from "Sex Machine," which I guess were actually Sides 3 and 4, unlike what I had recalled earlier.

"Say it Loud, " "World," "Kansas City" and "Try Me" were not on the original album. I believe the rest of the tracks were and made up Sides 3 and 4, except that the "Give It Up or Turnit a Loose" on the original album was part of a medley on Side 2 [[a studio side) so this version should be an actual live recording of the song.

I think that this album along with "Revolution of the Mind: Live at the Apollo, Vol. 3" were two of the best live recordings ever made, not just of James Brown, but bar none. The last songs on "Sex Machine" [[and this new release) are absolutely on fire. The "Revolution of the Mind" concert was so intense, and the band so crisp and hot, I think I had to replace that album a couple times [[remember having to replace albums?).

Wish there was more on this we hadn't heard before but I'll buy it. I've been mourning the fact that James Brown's vaults seem to be empty after years of great releases of stuff we hadn't heard before. I've always felt the worst thing for a collector is to find out there's nothing left to collect!

If I'm not mistaken Ken, James Brown's Super Bad LP was another one of his albums that featured studio recordings that were overdubbed with crowd noises [[as he did with Sex Machine). Maybe UMe could do a deluxe edition for that LP for it's 50th Anniversary next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post

If I'm not mistaken Ken, James Brown's Super Bad LP was another one of his albums that featured studio recordings that were overdubbed with crowd noises [[as he did with Sex Machine). Maybe UMe could do a deluxe edition for that LP for it's 50th Anniversary next year.
    It sure was. Even when I bought it when I was young I knew the applause was fake because the title song was exactly the same as the single! It’s still a good album, but I think the fake crowd noise and applause does make it sound less authentic. I think that album also included the song “a man has to go back to the cross roads“ which was also a single release with overdubbed crowd noise, as well as a duet with Vicki Anderson, “let it be me,“ which I think might also have been a single.

I really love the compilation “messing with the blues,“ which has full length versions of several of James Brown’s material that was rather unusual for him, some of which I think originally came out on smash, not the king label. It includes cover versions of some of his early influences like Louis Jordan and Roy Brown. It’s one of the best comps on him I’ve heard and it’s fun hearing the full length versions of songs which were a lot shorter on the original albums.