[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 29 of 29
  1. #1

    Your Supremes First

    I'm interested to learn what everyone's first is when it comes to the Supremes. For instance:

    First time you heard the Supremes on the radio?

    First time you saw them on television?

    First single you owned?

    First album you owned?

    First time you saw them in person?

    You can add to it if you think of any other firsts.

  2. #2
    The Supremes were already legends and broken up by the time I was born, so I'm not sure what the first song of theirs that I heard. Surely it was one of the first four number ones, or "Hurry Love" or "Hangin On".

    I'm willing to bet "Motown 25" was the first time I saw the Supremes on TV.

    The first single I owned was "Love Child". A friend of my mother found out I was into the Supremes and she gave me her copy of the 45. The first album I owned was Meet the Supremes.

    I have never seen the girls in person, together or solo, unfortunately.

  3. #3
    First time you heard the Supremes on the radio? Back in My Arms Again

    First time you saw them on television? I think it was the Red Skelton show "Help Me Mother Dear"

    First single you owned? Don't recall...but the first single I actually heard being played on a turntable was "I Hear a Symphony" with the B-side "Who Could Ever Doubt My Love". I would listen to it over and over at my aunts' house (they were slightly older than me)

    First album you owned? Supremes A Go Go....

    First time you saw them in person? Never saw the lineups from the 60s and 70s in person. First time I saw Diana Ross & the Supremes was during the RTL tour in Atlanta around 2000. (And no, don't start off into a cat fight that I didn't really see the Supremes at that time. Save it for another thread)

  4. #4
    I first heard “When The Lovelight Starts Shining In His Eyes” in late ’63 and bought the single shortly thereafter.
    I first saw the Supremes during the ’64 Labor Day holiday at the Brooklyn (NY) Fox Theater. They were part of a big multi-artist extravaganza hosted, I think, by NY DJ Murray the K. Since “Where Did Our Love Go” was rising on the charts, they sang that song but I don’t remember if they did anything else.
    First album: A Little Bit of Liverpool
    Last edited by mowest; 09-05-2019 at 11:57 AM.

  5. #5
    First time you heard the Supremes on the radio?

    Not sure. But it was probably SOMEDAY WE'LL BE TOGETHER.

    First time you saw them on television?

    I have a strong memory of seeing them singing SOMEDAY on Ed Sullivan. There were probably other appearances I'd seen before then but I was very young. However, my aunt was a big fan, had their Copa album, and kept their 1966 concert program on her coffee table.

    First single you owned?

    For Christmas 1971, my parents bought me my first little suitcase record player. Amongst the 45s given to me were I'M LIVIN' IN SHAME and NO MATTER WHAT SIGN YOU ARE.

    First album you owned?

    In 1974, I bought ANTHOLOGY with my birthday money. The following Christmas, my next door neighbor bought me FAREWELL.

    First time you saw them in person?

    I never saw them in person but my first Diana concert was in 1977. The closest I came to seeing the Supremes was a Return to Love concert. Unfortunately, the tour was cancelled the week of my show.
    Last edited by reese; 09-05-2019 at 12:19 PM.

  6. #6
    I was 5 years old. My mother's sister ran a small record store in our hometown, and she often received promotional copies of new or soon to be released albums. She received a copy of The Supremes' "Where Did Our Love Go" album a few weeks before it hit the stores, and as she often did with promo copies of music she liked, she took it home with her. I spent every Wednesday afternoon with my aunt at her home, and it was there that I discovered that promo copy of "WDOLG." I remember sitting on the floor in front of my aunt's big old console stereo and playing that record over and over, all afternoon each Wednesday as I visited her. Finally, after about two months, she gave the album to me, and I was hooked from then on.... No looking back! A bonafide Supremes fanatic then and eversince!

    A year or so later, I was in my mother's bedroom (where her record player was located), listening to "Back In My Arms Again." I decided I wanted to BE Mary Wilson, so I wrapped a towel around my head (my hair!), adorned my mom's bathrobe (my dress), and grabbed my microphone (my mom's hairbrush). I was dancing and singing along to my Supremes' 45 when my mom came in. She looked a little stunned at first to see her little boy like that, but she just played it off. She said "Honey, are you pretending to be Diana Ross?" In disgust, I glared at her and said "NO, MOTHER! I am MARY WILSON, the pretty one!" My mom laughed and left the room. (No offense to Ms. Ross now!)

    Years later as I was coming out as a gay man and my mom was struggling with the issue, we were having a very heartfelt and emotional discussion. Suddenly, my mom said "Honey, do you remember when you were a little boy and I walked in on you pretending to be Mary Wilson?" I said I did, and my dear sweet mother reached out, took my hand, and said "I should have known you were gay then!" We had a good laugh about it and moved on.

    Years later, I did get to meet Ms. Wilson on several occasions, and I have shared my story with her.
    Last edited by mistercarter2u; 09-05-2019 at 12:21 PM.

  7. #7
    Radio: June 1964 WDOLG

    Album: WDOLG - December 26, 1964 - a Christmas present from my parents that I had to go buy the day after Christmas

    TV: Hullabaloo January 26, 1965 - quite by accident, I was ecstatic...ironically a few weeks earlier I missed their Sullivan performance from December 27, 1964 (I was probably listening to my new album I got the day before!)

    Single: Stop!... February 1965 - I bought it for the picture sleeve...I did not have a record player and my parents wouldn't allow us to play 45s on their stereo console.

    Summer 1965 - Saw "Beach Ball" at the theater!

    DMF: February 12, 1966 - Brandeis University, Waltham, MA - my hometown!...they wore the gowns later pictured on Sing HDH

    DMC: September 1967 - Carousel Theater Framingham, MA - DMC wearing tuxedos! (strange choice of attire since Temptations were also appearing)...Cindy had just joined group - I stood outside stage door to get autographs - Cindy said she wasn't permitted to sign an autograph!...Mary was escorted to her vehicle without saying anything...got Diana's autograph on program booklet (DMF in gold outfits)...

    July - October 1969 - Saw DMC 5 times.

    August 1970 & July 1972 - Saw JMC

    1975 - Saw MCS - no album issued at this point

    Never saw JML or MSS. I missed SS&J 2018 when they performed in my hometown - hadn't heard about it. Would have been interesting having seen DMF in my hometown in 1966 and then SS&J in 2018...oh well.

    I missed Diana's 1970 solo debut shows in Framingham MA since I was away at college and wasn't even aware of the appearances...I didn't see solo Diana until after LSTB...I would travel to NYC to see her shows and see them again when she brought them to Boston...I saw her 12+ times in the 70s and sporadically after that...Last Time I Saw Her was about 3 years ago...

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I'm interested to learn what everyone's first is when it comes to the Supremes. For instance:

    First time you heard the Supremes on the radio?

    First time you saw them on television?

    First single you owned?

    First album you owned?

    First time you saw them in person?

    You can add to it if you think of any other firsts.
    The only CURRENT Supremes hit I remember hearing on radio was Floy Joy. I was six years old, which will help to understand the rest of my responses; my love of DR began in 1975 and her Supremes years became part of my collecting. I do remember hearing ANMHE repeatedly on radio during its release; even then I loved the song...

    The first time I saw them on television was the Supremes tribute during An Evening With Diana Ross.

    Iím Gonna Make You Love Me was my first 45; my older sister gave it to me in 1975.

    Greatest Hits Vol 3 was my first Supremes LP, in 1976 from the cut out bin.

    RTL!! My first DR concert was in 1979, the tour that was eventually taped at Caesar's Palace.

  9. #9
    My brother was playing Let Me Go the Right Way on his record player and I just loved it went running to his room to hear who it was! Floís voice at the end really struck me.
    Saw DMF 1966 at Villanova U. DC5 has top billing and Kinks opened the show!
    A Go Go first album.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    Radio: June 1964 WDOLG

    Album: WDOLG - December 26, 1964 - a Christmas present from my parents that I had to go buy the day after Christmas

    TV: Hullabaloo January 26, 1965 - quite by accident, I was ecstatic...ironically a few weeks earlier I missed their Sullivan performance from December 27, 1964 (I was probably listening to my new album I got the day before!)

    Single: Stop!... February 1965 - I bought it for the picture sleeve...I did not have a record player and my parents wouldn't allow us to play 45s on their stereo console.

    Summer 1965 - Saw "Beach Ball" at the theater!

    DMF: February 12, 1966 - Brandeis University, Waltham, MA - my hometown!...they wore the gowns later pictured on Sing HDH

    DMC: September 1967 - Carousel Theater Framingham, MA - DMC wearing tuxedos! (strange choice of attire since Temptations were also appearing)...Cindy had just joined group - I stood outside stage door to get autographs - Cindy said she wasn't permitted to sign an autograph!...Mary was escorted to her vehicle without saying anything...got Diana's autograph on program booklet (DMF in gold outfits)...

    July - October 1969 - Saw DMC 5 times.

    August 1970 & July 1972 - Saw JMC

    1975 - Saw MCS - no album issued at this point

    Never saw JML or MSS. I missed SS&J 2018 when they performed in my hometown - hadn't heard about it. Would have been interesting having seen DMF in my hometown in 1966 and then SS&J in 2018...oh well.

    I missed Diana's 1970 solo debut shows in Framingham MA since I was away at college and wasn't even aware of the appearances...I didn't see solo Diana until after LSTB...I would travel to NYC to see her shows and see them again when she brought them to Boston...I saw her 12+ times in the 70s and sporadically after that...Last Time I Saw Her was about 3 years ago...
    Cindy was not yet permitted to sign an autograph? There must have been major ongoing contract issues between Motown and the label in which Patti Labelle and the Bluebells performed at that time...

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I'm interested to learn what everyone's first is when it comes to the Supremes. For instance:

    First time you heard the Supremes on the radio?

    First time you saw them on television?

    First single you owned?

    First album you owned?

    First time you saw them in person?

    You can add to it if you think of any other firsts.
    We lived on Seminole in Indian Village/Detroit that had a 3rd floor ballroom. My dad and I were getting things ready for our annual Christmas party while playing the Sups more hits album. I was about 4 yo and became addicted. I don't remember what
    tv program was, possibly Sullivan, but I told our nanny I was going to marry Mary Wilson. She told me that Mary already had a boyfriend. I was crushed.

  12. #12
    Love it all demot!!

  13. #13
    First album was "Meet the Supremes" on the Stateside label in 1964.

    First time I saw them in person was at the Finsbury Park Astoria, London, in 1965.

    First single bought was probably "Baby Love".

    First track bought was "A Breath Taking Guy" on the e.p. "R& B Chartmakers, Vol 2".
    Last edited by 144man; 09-06-2019 at 01:16 PM.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    My brother was playing Let Me Go the Right Way on his record player and I just loved it went running to his room to hear who it was! Flo’s voice at the end really struck me.
    Saw DMF 1966 at Villanova U. DC5 has top billing and Kinks opened the show!
    A Go Go first album.
    The only trace I found of a concert at Villanova university is on March 17, 1968 (and then with DMC). Can you specify your info (exact date?...)

  15. #15
    It was either 1966 or 1967 but Flo gone in 1967. Maybe Iím off and it was 1965 but I know the Kinks opened the show , then the Supremes then Dave Clark 5 and Flo in the group. Villanova University.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    We lived on Seminole in Indian Village/Detroit that had a 3rd floor ballroom. My dad and I were getting things ready for our annual Christmas party while playing the Sups more hits album. I was about 4 yo and became addicted. I don't remember what
    tv program was, possibly Sullivan, but I told our nanny I was going to marry Mary Wilson. She told me that Mary already had a boyfriend. I was crushed.
    Great story, great memory DET! Thanks for sharing it.

  17. #17
    For me it was summer 76. Love hangover was huge.i got DR76 n Supremes anthology for Christmas.
    I was addicted from then on.
    I loved Anthology.
    My favs were Reflections..love child...someday....stop!....itching....hanging on....also liked the Funny girl medley n Rogers n Hart song. Just a good collection minus the bit of Liverpool songs.
    Gonna let my heart was a minor hit for the supremes that summer.my first single.
    I bought Supremes 75. First lp.

  18. #18
    First time on radio: Stop! (early 1965) My 10 year old sister (I was 11) said she liked this song, so I listened. The beginning for me with that unmistakable voice.
    First time on TV: Stop! on Hollywood Palace (March 1965)
    First single: Nothing But Heartaches/He Holds His Own with picture sleeve (August 1965)
    First album: More Hits (September 1965)
    First album I bought with my own (allowance) money: I Hear a Symphony (February 1966)
    First concert: DMC at The Forum (Opening act was Jackson 5) (August 1969)
    Saw JMC at Disneyland (1971)
    First DR concert: Universal Amphitheater (1974)
    Last edited by lucky2012; 09-06-2019 at 10:49 PM.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I'm interested to learn what everyone's first is when it comes to the Supremes. For instance:

    First time you heard the Supremes on the radio?

    First time you saw them on television?

    First single you owned?

    First album you owned?

    First time you saw them in person?

    You can add to it if you think of any other firsts.
    First heard "When the Lovelight..." on the radio.

    First single owned was "Stop! In the Name Of Love".

    First album owned was the "Where Did Our Love Go?" Album.

    First saw them in Atlantic City in the summer of '66.

    First time on TV was either Shindig when they performed "Stop! In the Name of Love" or around the same time I vaguely remember seeing them perform "Come See About Me" but can't remember the show as I have not seen it show up on YouTube. It may have been Clay Cole but "Stop! In the Name Of Love" had already been put out as I remember being surprised they were not performing that.

  20. #20
    Iím pretty sure I saw them for the first time on the Lloyd Thaxton show 1964 ish.

  21. #21
    First time you heard the Supremes on the radio?
    June 1964: Where Did Our Love Go

    First time you saw them on television?
    Shindig, Fall 1964

    First single you owned?
    Where Did Our Love Go

    First album you owned?
    Where Did Our Love Go

    First time you saw them in person?
    August 30, 1966, Virginia Beach.
    Met them then as well.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    For me it was summer 76. Love hangover was huge.i got DR76 n Supremes anthology for Christmas.
    I was addicted from then on.
    I loved Anthology.
    My favs were Reflections..love child...someday....stop!....itching....hanging on....also liked the Funny girl medley n Rogers n Hart song. Just a good collection minus the bit of Liverpool songs.
    Gonna let my heart was a minor hit for the supremes that summer.my first single.
    I bought Supremes 75. First lp.
    PS.i remember a tv collection advertising on tv.36 hits .I remember taping it with my recorder .
    Saw the Supremes on Merv Griffin alot.

  23. #23
    My answers are so lame

    First time I heard them on the radio was
    probably several years ago... "Stop In The Name Of Love"

    First time I saw them on TV... Don't think I have ever seen them on TV, but I do remember seeing Diana's "Chain Reaction" music video a couple of years ago on a music channel

    First song I bought was "Where Did Our Love Go"

    First album I bought was The Supremes A Go Go expanded edition

    First time you saw them in person?
    Never seen them in person... YET...

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I'm interested to learn what everyone's first is when it comes to the Supremes. For instance:

    First time you heard the Supremes on the radio?

    First time you saw them on television?

    First single you owned?

    First album you owned?

    First time you saw them in person?

    You can add to it if you think of any other firsts.
    First time hearing them on the radio was "Where Did Our Love Go".
    I don't recall the first time I saw them on TV (it may be Shindig or Hullabaloo).
    First single I picked up by them, "Love Child".
    First LP I owned by them, Let The Sunshine In.
    Never got to see them in person (sigh).

  25. #25
    My first real introduction to the Supremes was when I bought the 6-album box set "Diana Ross & The Supremes," which contains 6 themed albums: "In the Beginning," "In Concert," "Showtime," "The Hits," "The Hits of Others," and "Diana Ross -- Supreme." I didn't realize it at the time, but this is quite a remarkable collection, including so many lesser known songs that normally are not included in greatest hits collections. Thus once I started buying the regular albums, all of them had at least one or two songs I already knew. Interestingly, the very first song is "Buttered Popcorn"!

    Name:  IMG_6201.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  90.4 KB

  26. #26
    ^ Never saw this before. Was it European release only?

  27. #27
    The "Diana Ross & The Supremes" box set was released by World Records (part of EMI I believe), released in the UK only, in 1981. If I'm not mistaken, it has the longer version of "People" on it. I bought it at Concerto, back in 1981, at the height of Ross-mania in the Netherlands!
    https://www.discogs.com/Diana-Ross-T...release/495163

    I'm actually playing it now (haven't played it for years!)...
    Name:  ross box set.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  92.6 KB

  28. #28
    ^ A great set to have!

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    The "Diana Ross & The Supremes" box set was released by World Records (part of EMI I believe), released in the UK only, in 1981. If I'm not mistaken, it has the longer version of "People" on it. I bought it at Concerto, back in 1981, at the height of Ross-mania in the Netherlands!
    https://www.discogs.com/Diana-Ross-T...release/495163

    I'm actually playing it now (haven't played it for years!)...
    Name:  ross box set.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  92.6 KB
    I bought it off eBay some time ago but never played it. But looking at the song list that published, it is really a unique mix of Diana's material.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.