[REMOVE ADS]

Jackson 5 'Greatest Hits' LP reissued in rare quadrophonic mix

The Jackson 5’s first singles collection Greatest Hits will be released in its rare, sought-after quadrophonic mix on black vinyl LP, and in a limited edition clear vinyl LP, on 25 October. The compilation was first issued on 27 December 1971 and encapsulated the breathless, remarkable first 18 months of the group’s immense success on record.

Greatest Hits was packed with the group’s biggest hits to that point, including the four straight pop No. 1s with which they opened their account, ‘I Want You Back,’ ‘ABC,’ ‘The Love You Save’ and ‘I’ll Be There.’ Other major hits such as ‘Mama’s Pearl’ and ‘Never Can Say Goodbye’ are also included. The album itself spent five weeks at No. 2 on the R&B chart and reached No. 12 pop, in a 41-week run on the latter listing.

The quad mix of the album was originally issued only in Japan in 1975. This new edition includes alternate vocals and adds some instrumentation that isn’t heard in the much-loved single and album mixes of the tracks. The quad mixes are the stereo folds, so the new vinyl LP editions do not require a special decoder or four speakers for listeners to enjoy them. Original four-channel analog masters from the Motown vault were used as the audio source for the new LP editions. They were mastered and cut by Alex Abrash at AA Mastering.

The album arrived when the J5 had already released five studio albums in less than 18 months, including a Christmas album in 1970 and spring 1971’s Maybe Tomorrow. The Greatest Hits collection also includes the hugely popular b-sides ‘I Found That Girl’ and ‘Who’s Lovin’ You.’ Also featured is ‘Sugar Daddy,’ which at the time of the album’s release in December 1971 was the new single by the Jackson 5, becoming a top three R&B hit and top ten pop.

The Jackson 5’s Greatest Hits – Quadrophonic Mix is released on black vinyl and limited edition clear vinyl on 25 October.

UK price: £21.99

Side A
    1 I Want You Back
    2 ABC
    3 Never Can Say Goodbye
    4 Sugar Daddy
    5 I'll Be There
    6 Maybe Tomorrow

Side B
    1 The Love You Save
    2 Who's Loving You
    3 Mama's Pearl
    4 Goin' Back to Indiana
    5 I Found That Girl
    Last edited by alanh; 09-04-2019 at 12:12 PM.

No CD release ?