[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross Net Worth $250 Million

I saw an article on MSN.com about wealthy stars over 70. Below is the piece about Ross.

One of the most successful celebrities over 70 — and ever — singer Diana Ross has earned r-e-s-p-e-c-t for her career that just won’t quit.

Still performing at age 75, she rose to fame as the lead singer of the Supremes and went on to enjoy massive success as a solo artist, scoring six No. 1 hits including “Upside Down.”

Nice. To put it in perspective, other female entertainers past 70 are who are still active doing pretty well too if these figures are to be believed. THey all come from a google search.

Barbra 400 million
    Bette Midler 230 million
    Cher 360 million
    Gladys Knight 28 million
    Mary Wilson 8 million

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Nice. To put it in perspective, other female entertainers past 70 are who are still active doing pretty well too if these figures are to be believed. THey all come from a google search.

Barbra 400 million
    Bette Midler 230 million
    Cher 360 million
    Gladys Knight 28 million
    Mary Wilson 8 million
    Impressive figures for sure.

Diana Ross' worth is best measured in enduring success and talent I feel

Pretty wild guesses at best

I think all those figures are off.

I would be very surprised if Ross had a $250mil net worth. She doesn't write songs and hasn't sold platinum since 1980.

I think all these articles about how much a celebrity is worth are made up. Perhaps Diana being in the business so long and seeing many of her contemporaries go bankrupt she wisely decided to invest her money.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post

I would be very surprised if Ross had a $250mil net worth. She doesn't write songs and hasn't sold platinum since 1980.
    I had a similar reaction to Wilson, who also does not write songs and never had anything close to a hit.

I don't know how they arrive at these figures but there's probably some guesswork involved.

But I don't think it's impossible Diana could be worth this.

She will have a lot of continuing royalties from her successful singles and greatest hits albums, she sold big in Europe during the 90s and I'm not sure of the costs involved in touring but look at the number of successful ones she has undertaken plus her stints at Las Vegas.

Don't forget too she was married to Arne Naess who was immensely rich.

Who knows what the divorce arrangements may have been.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    I don't know how they arrive at these figures but there's probably some guesswork involved.

But I don't think it's impossible Diana could be worth this.

She will have a lot of continuing royalties from her successful singles and greatest hits albums, she sold big in Europe during the 90s and I'm not sure of the costs involved in touring but look at the number of successful ones she has undertaken plus her stints at Las Vegas.

Don't forget too she was married to Arne Naess who was immensely rich.

Who knows what the divorce arrangements may have been.
    Her domestic tours are done on a shoestring thus avoiding massive overheads which in turn make the tours highly lucrative.
    I am not aware of the details of the divorce settlement, and even if i did i would not share it here, but she was certainly wealthier after her divorce than she was prior to it.

Ross bought all those NYC parking lots with her RCA money in the 80's at 80's prices./. Do you have any idea what those parking lots [[cars pull in, get a timed ticket, and pay when they leave) are worth today? The girl is nobody's fool!

I thought Mary had talked of making mortgage payments? And having to work? Even with $8 million, I doubt you'd be making mortgage payments.

I don't see Ross performing in small theaters in small towns if she has a net worth of $250 million. She'd be retired like Tina Turner or she'd stick to really high profile occasional gigs like Streisand.

Is it true she had only $250k in the bank before she signed with RCA? Those were her high-earning years as a live act. I believe she has invested wisely. She is the main provider for a very large extended family and I know she wants to secure comfortable lives for all of her descendants.

If I was on a game show and I had to guess her net worth, I'd say she was @$70 mil. That would not include anything she got in her divorce settlement. Although I never heard there was a divorce settlement.

I don't see Ross performing in small theaters in small towns if she has a net worth of $250 million. She'd be retired like Tina Turner or she'd stick to really high profile occasional gigs like Streisand.

Is it true she had only $250k in the bank before she signed with RCA? Those were her high-earning years as a live act. I believe she has invested wisely. She is the main provider for a very large extended family and I know she wants to secure comfortable lives for all of her descendants.

If I was on a game show and I had to guess her net worth, I'd say she was @$70 mil. That would not include anything she got in her divorce settlement. Although I never heard there was a divorce settlement.
    I disagree. Her high earnings as a live act was not before signing with RCA. It was after she left Motown. During the 80s she was a huge arena touring artist. She broke box office records around the world. Including the USA. When ever she toured back in the 80s she sold out huge arenas within hours. And she toured constantly. She was also one of the highest paid performers in Vegas. If not the highest paid. She also did several personal engagements that paid her well over $1 million for these performances.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I disagree. Her high earnings as a live act was not before signing with RCA. It was after she left Motown. During the 80s she was a huge arena touring artist. She broke box office records around the world. Including the USA. When ever she toured back in the 80s she sold out huge arenas within hours. And she toured constantly. She was also one of the highest paid performers in Vegas. If not the highest paid. She also did several personal engagements that paid her well over $1 million for these performances.
    Right. And unlike others that promote their appearances as 'business-woman', Ross actually is. Just doesn't 'in-yer-face' about it like others. Anyone who claims to celebrate Motown, the Supremes, Black American achievement, female empowerment, equality, etc. should welcome this fact/idea/rumor/possibility/probability instead of denigrating it.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 09-05-2019 at 07:34 PM.

OK. I thought she was a bigger touring act in the 70s but I missed her 80s "huge arena" period. By the time I started to see her regularly -- starting in late 80s -- she was playing concert halls and arenas with capacity of no more than 10,000. Here's a link that purports to have her concert history since the 1960s:

https://dianarossofficialfanclub.com/concert-history/

OK. I thought she was a bigger touring act in the 70s but I missed her 80s "huge arena" period. By the time I started to see her regularly -- starting in late 80s -- she was playing concert halls and arenas with capacity of no more than 10,000. Here's a link that purports to have her concert history since the 1960s:

https://dianarossofficialfanclub.com/concert-history/
    This is a really good list. Not every performance is listed but a really impressive list. I’ve seen it before and it looks like more dates have been added. Thanks for sharing.

She still tours domestically because she still loves to sing. It has nothing to do with any financial reasons. Members of her family usually join her which makes it all the more enjoyable. She is in a very good place at the moment. She is about to start planning her new album, and will undertake her annual Christmas shopping trip to London before returning to the stage early in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Right. And unlike others that promote their appearances as 'business-woman', Ross actually is. Just doesn't 'in-yer-face' about it like others. Anyone who claims to celebrate Motown, the Supremes, Black American achievement, female empowerment, equality, etc. should welcome this fact/idea/rumor/possibility/probability instead of denigrating it.
    Exactly. But forget the labels, anyone who's is looking for an example of how ANY American living in our capitalist based society , through hard work and determination, has the possibility of acquiring $250 million by age 75, should look at the life of Diana Ross.

Well done Diana!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 09-06-2019 at 04:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    She still tours domestically because she still loves to sing. It has nothing to do with any financial reasons. Members of her family usually join her which makes it all the more enjoyable. She is in a very good place at the moment. She is about to start planning her new album, and will undertake her annual Christmas shopping trip to London before returning to the stage early in 2020.
    Interesting. So you think Ross has no financial motivation for performing? I wouldn't have guessed she still enjoys it, or that enjoyment would be her primary motivation for performing. She has done the same [[limited) setlist night after night for over a decade with little or no variation.

I am not alone in observing that she seems to be going through the motions. I figured her 75th birthday tour would have been an occasion for something special -- and I thought she was great at Radio City -- but the set list was the same as previous shows. Hollywood Bowl 2018 was the only show I've seen in the last 15 years where she departed from her rigid setlist.

I have been supportive of her and have paid to see her several times in the last few years because I love her AND I assumed she was still performing for financial reasons. At this point, given her age, I believe she should make as much money as she can for as long as she can. I know she was denied access to lucrative opportunities earlier in her career because of bias and bad contracts.

However, if she has a net worth of a quarter of a billion dollars she doesn't need anymore of my money, lol. As my companion put it after a recent show -- we were happier to see her than she was to see us.

Interesting. So you think Ross has no financial motivation for performing? I wouldn't have guessed she still enjoys it, or that enjoyment would be her primary motivation for performing. She has done the same [[limited) setlist night after night for over a decade with little or no variation.

I am not alone in observing that she seems to be going through the motions. I figured her 75th birthday tour would have been an occasion for something special -- and I thought she was great at Radio City -- but the set list was the same as previous shows. Hollywood Bowl 2018 was the only show I've seen in the last 15 years where she departed from her rigid setlist.

I have been supportive of her and have paid to see her several times in the last few years because I love her AND I assumed she was still performing for financial reasons. At this point, given her age, I believe she should make as much money as she can for as long as she can. I know she was denied access to lucrative opportunities earlier in her career because of bias and bad contracts.

However, if she has a net worth of a quarter of a billion dollars she doesn't need anymore of my money, lol. As my companion put it after a recent show -- we were happier to see her than she was to see us.
    She may be going through the motions as you put it, but she does enjoy going through those motions. She may reluctantly add a couple of new songs to her set list from the new album next year, but don't expect anything radical. She is too old and obstinate to do anything that she doesn't want to do. I think she will continue to sing until her body tells her she is no longer physically able to do so. If she didn't want to be up on that stage she wouldn't be there.

She may be going through the motions as you put it, but she does enjoy going through those motions. She may reluctantly add a couple of new songs to her set list from the new album next year, but don't expect anything radical. She is too old and obstinate to do anything that she doesn't want to do. I think she will continue to sing until her body tells her she is no longer physically able to do so. If she didn't want to be up on that stage she wouldn't be there.
    And money is not a motivation for her? Not even in part? Her grandkids are already set for life?

And money is not a motivation for her? Not even in part? Her grandkids are already set for life?
    Well if she is worth anywhere near the $250 million dollars. I would say her grandkids should be set for life.

You know the deal, Mr.B - the rules are always reversed when they want to denigrate Diana Ross! Have a great weekend.

I don't know any details, but i am told that her grandkids and any future ones are/will be taken care of financially.
    The money is of course useful, but by no means the ultimate reason for the domestic touring.
    I think we have exhausted this subject now.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    You know the deal, Mr.B - the rules are always reversed when they want to denigrate Diana Ross! Have a great weekend.
    And you too my friend.

I don't know any details, but i am told that her grandkids and any future ones are/will be taken care of financially.
    The money is of course useful, but by no means the ultimate reason for the domestic touring.
    I think we have exhausted this subject now.
    You know the deal more than most my dear friend but like Trump some some folks are always looking for alternative facts.

Thank you for always being real fair and sharing as much as you can.

Fondly,

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    You know the deal more than most my dear friend but like Trump some some folks are always looking for alternative facts.

Thank you for always being real fair and sharing as much as you can.

Fondly,

Roberta
    Thank you Roberta. I share whatever i am able to, but i am only an outsider looking in. You know the score my dear friend.

her grandchildren taken care of? some people here are tripping..several Ross offspring are television stars and appeared/will appear in Hollywood films, almost all have careers performing..

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    her grandchildren taken care of? some people here are tripping..several Ross offspring are television stars and appeared/will appear in Hollywood films, almost all have careers performing..
    That’s so true. Plus Raif grandfather is non other than wealthy Berry Gordy.

That’s so true. Plus Raif grandfather is non other than wealthy Berry Gordy.
    See theres fans and then theres the fanatics who think they all up in Diana and Marys personal business heads reading there thoughts like "Diana doesnt like to perform but needs the money" Honey Diana Ross loves to perform and NEVER has to worry about money. Shes one of the greatest performers ever. And the ones that know Marys every thought and have "conversations with Mary and then when Mary gives an interview shes the most sought after former Motowner Ever. Mary loves the media and would talk to anyone with a camera. Nothing wrong with it but if Diana or Stevie offered themselves up to the media Mary would be relegatted to public access if theres still such a thing.

It doesn't seem illegitimate for a fan to be interested in this style of articles, or simply to ask himself the question.
    For my part, I am very suspicious of the figures put forward and I wonder what the sources of information are.

How could Mary Wilson, who is known to have financial problems, have a fortune only three times lower than Gladys Knight? Gladys has worked at least, 50 times more, at another level, and she has quite a few albums in the charts.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    It doesn't seem illegitimate for a fan to be interested in this style of articles, or simply to ask himself the question.
    For my part, I am very suspicious of the figures put forward and I wonder what the sources of information are.

How could Mary Wilson, who is known to have financial problems, have a fortune only three times lower than Gladys Knight? Gladys has worked at least, 50 times more, at another level, and she has quite a few albums in the charts.
    Mary Wilson's book made more money than Gladys did. I agree she will have made absolutely nothing from her solo recording career, but that first book made her a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    ....I am very suspicious of the figures put forward and I wonder what the sources of information are.

Gladys wrote in her book that she had a gambling problem and probably left much of her earnings at the table. I also question the source of these figures of celebrities. Shit, we can't even get the legitimate net worth of Donald.

Mary has said in past interviews that she has to work and still has a mortgage.

Tracee is on those lists for a net worth of $16 million and Evan for $25 million

Mary Wilson's book made more money than Gladys did. I agree she will have made absolutely nothing from her solo recording career, but that first book made her a lot of money.
    Yeah but that book money won't hold up. So of course she would still perform today. That was why she was one of the main ones to get that Modernization Act passed so she and other legends can see more green from streams as well as radio play and CD/LP sales.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Yeah but that book money won't hold up. So of course she would still perform today. That was why she was one of the main ones to get that Modernization Act passed so she and other legends can see more green from streams as well as radio play and CD/LP sales.
    The only trouble is that in the end, they get very little from any of it still. If they need money, or want money, they must try and get gigs.

https://variety.com/2019/dirt/produc...al-1203331190/

This article gives some idea of who has money.

If you knew the divorce details but wouldn't share them here ....where would you share it? You sound silly. Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    https://variety.com/2019/dirt/produc...al-1203331190/

This article gives some idea of who has money.
    I have no idea what Chudneys husband does for a living or if he worked, but in all likelihood Diana bought that house for them. Diana did what most rich parents do for their children.