[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Best Dionne Warwick Compilation CD?

Since our girl is attracting attention on the charts and on here as well, let's keep it going!!! When you have been around as long as she has, there are of course lots of "best of" collections. So in my rotation in my car today [[remember I am the one who still managed to find a 2019 car with a CD player!!!!) a collection of hers came around that I would highly recommend.

It is called The Real Dionne Warwick and it is a very reasonably priced 3 CD/49 track collection on Sony Music Group. Now first of all, it is all Arista material, so if you are one of those fans who preferred her Scepter years, you might not enjoy this as much.

But for us Aristacrats [[I just made that one up!!!!) it is a great collection because it features cuts from every album she did for that label. And even though some folks don't like this, they are all scrambled up as opposed to being in chronological order. So if you just stick the CD in your player and listen while you are doing whatever without looking at the packaging, you will be surprised with each track that comes along because they are not in any order.

Of course with "only" 49 tracks to select from a dozen or so albums, not all of your favorites have made the cut. But it is still a pleasant collection, even if you already had 10-12 copies of some of the songs, as I do in some cases.

I like Dionne's Arista years but I think her Scepter recordings are more classic. There is a great 2 disc compilation from Europe called The Very Best of Dionne Warwick. [[It is not the single disc Rhino set released in the US with the same title.) It is a Union Square / Rhino / Metro Select release containing all the Scepter hits and needed album tracks. Of all the compilations I've heard, the sound on this one is the best.
    Name:  dione-very best.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  34.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Since our girl is attracting attention on the charts and on here as well, let's keep it going!!! When you have been around as long as she has, there are of course lots of "best of" collections. So in my rotation in my car today [[remember I am the one who still managed to find a 2019 car with a CD player!!!!) a collection of hers came around that I would highly recommend.

It is called The Real Dionne Warwick and it is a very reasonably priced 3 CD/49 track collection on Sony Music Group. Now first of all, it is all Arista material, so if you are one of those fans who preferred her Scepter years, you might not enjoy this as much.

But for us Aristacrats [[I just made that one up!!!!) it is a great collection because it features cuts from every album she did for that label. And even though some folks don't like this, they are all scrambled up as opposed to being in chronological order. So if you just stick the CD in your player and listen while you are doing whatever without looking at the packaging, you will be surprised with each track that comes along because they are not in any order.

Of course with "only" 49 tracks to select from a dozen or so albums, not all of your favorites have made the cut. But it is still a pleasant collection, even if you already had 10-12 copies of some of the songs, as I do in some cases.
    This is indeed a great value compilation. I have almost bought it on a few occasions, but seeing as i already have all the albums i haven't bothered. I think there is one track on here from The Cole Porter sessions that didn't make the original UK edition?
    Several of my personal favorites are missing, but all in all it is a fabulous introduction to her Arista years.
    Love the Aristacrats name by the way David!!!

For the Scepter/Warner Tracks
    Walk On By, The Definitive Dionne Warwick Collection, a european release from 2000
    https://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Co...t_mus_ep_dpi_9

Name:  4110SRWCYZL.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  17.9 KB

My favourite collection for some reason is only available on download? it is a live performance titled 'Command Performance featuring such an amazing large orchestra, Dionne sings some material which does not appear in Hits compilations. I just play it over and over again on Spotify!

jaybs, I have all of Dionne's albums and I can't believe I never heard of this Command Performance comp earlier. I will have to check it out. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    jaybs, I have all of Dionne's albums and I can't believe I never heard of this Command Performance comp earlier. I will have to check it out. Thanks!
    Amazon & Itunes have it as download as well as Spotify, why it is not on CD, even on DVD as it must not be that old the tracks used, let me know what you think!

Command Performance
    Dionne Warwick

1That's What Friends Are For Dionne Warwick

2 Deja Vu Dionne Warwick

3 Walk on By Dionne Warwick

4 Say a Little Prayer Dionne Warwick

5 Do You Know the Way to San Jose? Dionne Warwick

6 Alfie Dionne Warwick

7 Stronger Than Before Dionne Warwick *

8 Whisper in the Dark Dionne Warwick *

9 Touch Me in the Morning Dionne Warwick *

10 Love at Second Sight Dionne Warwick *

11 I'll Never Love This Way Again Dionne Warwick *

12 We Are the World Dionne Warwick

* Tracks not on most of Dionne's Live AlbumsName:  dionnewarwickcommanperformancedownload.jpg
Views: 2385
Size:  52.5 KB

Thanks jaybs! Strangely enough, it isn't available on iTunes, Spotify or YouTube in Canada, likely due to some sort of licensing restrictions. I ended up tracking it down on another music site last night. It's a great comp! I love 80's era Dionne and this is a great live set from the Friends era. So wonderful to have live versions of Stronger Than Before, Love At Second Sight and Whisper in the Dark! I will be listening to this often. Thanks again!

I seem to recall that there is a bootleg concert video out there, possibly on YouTube, with a similar setlist.

Thanks jaybs! Strangely enough, it isn't available on iTunes, Spotify or YouTube in Canada, likely due to some sort of licensing restrictions. I ended up tracking it down on another music site last night. It's a great comp! I love 80's era Dionne and this is a great live set from the Friends era. So wonderful to have live versions of Stronger Than Before, Love At Second Sight and Whisper in the Dark! I will be listening to this often. Thanks again!

I seem to recall that there is a bootleg concert video out there, possibly on YouTube, with a similar setlist.
    I saw a cd on Amazon UK as well but it was under another title. It seemed very rare as well, since it was not available.

What was the title Reece?

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    What was the title Reece?
    It is called FRIENDS.

Thanks jaybs! Strangely enough, it isn't available on iTunes, So wonderful to have live versions of Stronger Than Before, Love At Second Sight and Whisper in the Dark! I will be listening to this often. Thanks again!
    The exact three tracks I play over and over from this live compilation, don't you agree the orchestra arrangements are class and so rich!

My last car only has SD Card & Radio, it's great being able to put so many different albums on one small SD card.

I doubt if I would buy this CD but I was intrigued to see that it includes a live version of Love at Second Sight. That was by far my favorite track on the "Friends" album and I still recall seeing her do it on the Carson show.

I have another CD in my collection that I wonder how many of you guys are familiar with and how rare it might be. Without digging it out, I am pretty sure it was Australian and it was a twofer that combined "Friends in Love" and The Cole Porter album. I am pretty sure that it came out before the whole re-issue craze started. My guess is that it was a mid to late 90s release.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I doubt if I would buy this CD but I was intrigued to see that it includes a live version of Love at Second Sight. That was by far my favorite track on the "Friends" album and I still recall seeing her do it on the Carson show.

I have another CD in my collection that I wonder how many of you guys are familiar with and how rare it might be. Without digging it out, I am pretty sure it was Australian and it was a twofer that combined "Friends in Love" and The Cole Porter album. I am pretty sure that it came out before the whole re-issue craze started. My guess is that it was a mid to late 90s release.
    I seem to recall a UK reissue of these albums via David Nathan's soulmusic.com. I shall have to check with David.

Funkytowngrooves re-issued the remastered Arista albums No Night So Long, How Many Times Can We Say Goodbye [["So Amazing"), and Finder of Lost Loves [["Without Your Love"), all expanded with bonus material. Some nice unreleased stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Funkytowngrooves re-issued the remastered Arista albums No Night So Long, How Many Times Can We Say Goodbye [["So Amazing"), and Finder of Lost Loves [["Without Your Love"), all expanded with bonus material. Some nice unreleased stuff!
    I have those albums with the exception of the Luther produced set and very nice they are too, but we were promised a few other expanded Arista albums. I can only assume sales were disappointing which seemingly put an end to the reissuing programme.

Hey Bluebrock: did you get those Demon / Scepter reissues from 2014 also?
    I noticed prices are going up at Amazon Uk for these.

I bought the expanded editions of her Scepter albums around 12-15 years ago which were excellent Jack.

I know you didn't ask me, jack020, but I just purchased the Presenting/Anyone Who/Make Way/Sensitive Sound and Never Fall/Very Dionne/Dionne/Just Being sets over the past week for $15 each from my favorite used CD store. Being a Warwick completist, I am overjoyed and can't wait to dive into them!

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I know you didn't ask me, jack020, but I just purchased the Presenting/Anyone Who/Make Way/Sensitive Sound and Never Fall/Very Dionne/Dionne/Just Being sets over the past week for $15 each from my favorite used CD store. Being a Warwick completist, I am overjoyed and can't wait to dive into them!
    There's some great stuff on those albums. Enjoy!

Traced the 'Command Performance' download by Dionne, to Blue Lagoon Records, just contacted them to see if they can give me more info when it was recorded and where? nearly every download site has it, strange Blue Lagoon usually release on CD as well, but not this Live Concert.

daviddesper listen to the track on a download site, I believe it is better than the studio recording, more orchestral which gives is more bumph!

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    Traced the 'Command Performance' download by Dionne, to Blue Lagoon Records, just contacted them to see if they can give me more info when it was recorded and where? nearly every download site has it, strange Blue Lagoon usually release on CD as well, but not this Live Concert.

daviddesper listen to the track on a download site, I believe it is better than the studio recording, more orchestral which gives is more bumph!
    On Amazon UK, I tried ordering the cd as released under the title FRIENDS. It was released in 1992 on the HotShot label. But no sellers would deliver it to the US.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    On Amazon UK, I tried ordering the cd as released under the title FRIENDS. It was released in 1992 on the HotShot label. But no sellers would deliver it to the US.
    Just found a new copy of the FRIENDS CD in Germany, ordered it! see if it is completely the same tracks when it arrives Saturday or Monday!Name:  dionnewarwicjfriendslivecd.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  18.9 KB

Wow I cannot imagine a live version of Love at Second Sight being better than the studio version!

Sansradio: enjoy!

Last edited by jack020; 09-03-2019 at 05:40 AM.

Thanks, jack020 & Bluebrock; I am!

Dionne Warwick 'Friends' Live CD arrived this morning from Germany, brand new and sealed as advertised, release date 1992, no real notes to say where it was recorded, it is the 'Command Performance' download album. Really pleased to have it on CD!