[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mary still hoping to have a supremes movie made based on her book

Mary says that the problem is that it kind of already has been made in the form of DREAMGIRLS. But Mary was not pleased with that project because she never received royalties or had direct input.

The original Broadway production was not the Supremes' story. Too bad it did not have a LAW AND ORDER type of disclaimer

“The following story is fictional and does not depict any actual person or event.”

Despite these definitive words, as anyone who has ever marathoned LAW & ORDER knows, many of said stories take direct inspiration from recent headlines. As a LAW & ORDER fan, I have seen many episodes that reminded me of incidents that happened to celebrities like Michael Jackson, Bill Cosby etc.

The DREAMGIRLS Broadway Play was probably inspired by the Supremes. But the DREAMGIRLS movie totally ripped off the Supremes by copying their album covers and gowns, making it impossible to not think that it is the story was of the Supremes. But it wasn't

I would love to see either a Broadway musical or a movie about the group with their songs intact. It seems that Mary still has that dream and would like to have a movie made about the group. So would I.

https://www.smoothradio.com/news/mus...upremes-movie/

The problem with the film version of Dreamgirls is that it blurred the lines way too much. By changing the storyline and using the likeness of the Supremes, their albums, costumes, etc. they made it difficult for the public to distinguish what was real and what wasn't. I had friends who saw it and said "Wow, that was the Supremes story?" I can see why Mary would be upset for not being compensated with the usage of her likeness.

The play was very careful in not blurring those lines. It's been said by cast members and crew from the original production that it was the Supremes story, but were informed to tell the public it wasn't because the creative team and producers were afraid of being sued. Sheryl Lee Ralph recalls when she initially met Diana and how cold and rude Diana was to her. Mary recalls how either Tom Eyen or Michael Bennett brushed her off after a performance most likely out of fear what her reaction would be.

Dreamgirls ruined any chance of a Supremes film. Even if the musical had not been made, there wouldn't much a chance for a film because Gordy has grand rights and there's no way he would ever approve a film that told how he mistreated Florence Ballard.

A Supremes film is not needed. I would much prefer a documentary that was truthful and told all sides rather than one.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 08-29-2019 at 10:11 PM.

I hope someday there is a feature film made about the Supremes based on Mary Wilson's book, "Dreamgirl, My Life As A Supreme". That is what Mary wants and I would go to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I hope someday there is a feature film made about the Supremes based on Mary Wilson's book, "Dreamgirl, My Life As A Supreme". That is what Mary wants and I would go to see it.

I know it seems to be real difficult for you getting to see mary at Cafe Carlile or NYCB in Westbury or brooklyn or Pennselvania but this ones also in your back yard and youd get a photo with Mary, and a nice catch-up. Its been a real long time since youve seen Mary, probably a decade or more so im hope you and Luke can make it.

I remembered when this film first came out, she was all supportive of it. Now she reveals she, Diana, Flo's estate and Cindy didn't get consulted?

Also, Motown owns the masters to the music and the film would have to be agreed by ALL parties: Diana, Florence's daughters, Cindy and Gordy.

Until that happens, it won't happen. And that's real.

O. M. G. Let it go, gurrlll ...

Yeah, Dreamgirls the movie pretty much messed up any chance of a Supremes movie. But my opinion is the same as Brad's. I'd rather have an impartial, truthful documentary made than a dramatized film. I have a feeling even the doc would have no chance unless Berry Gordy has passed away. I think Diana would be more receptive to it than he would, believe it or not.

I have to disagree with the comments that the film "Dreamgirls" has destroyed any chances of a film about the Supremes ever being made. The public does not have very long memories and I have seen tons of movies made about the same subject. For example how many Superman, Spiderman, and other comic characters have been made? How many historical films have be made about the same subject such as Mary Queen of Scots/Elizabeth I, Elvis Presley, etc, etc. Those are a just a few I can think of before having my coffee. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Yeah, Dreamgirls the movie pretty much messed up any chance of a Supremes movie. But my opinion is the same as Brad's. I'd rather have an impartial, truthful documentary made than a dramatized film. I have a feeling even the doc would have no chance unless Berry Gordy has passed away. I think Diana would be more receptive to it than he would, believe it or not.
    Gordy and Ross are the roadblocks to a Supremes documentary. The topic of Flo and her dismissal is something they want to shy away from because 1.) fear of them being made into villains 2.) Neither want to take responsibility in how they treated her and the whole situation especially Gordy.

I do think there is a way to do a documentary where no one comes away looking like a villain, but the truth hurts and Gordy would have to get stung.

I loved Dreamgirls when it was released back in 2006, but I recently revisited it and I'm way more critical of it than I used to be. The blurring of lines into the Supremes' image should have never been done as well as changing many aspects of the story such as relocating from Chicago to Detroit, a Motown-like record label, etc. I wish they kept it true to the original stage production. I also think there was a lot of miscasting especially Beyonce. I would love to see a live TV production that's closer to the stage production.

I have to disagree with the comments that the film "Dreamgirls" has destroyed any chances of a film about the Supremes ever being made. The public does not have very long memories and I have seen tons of movies made about the same subject. For example how many Superman, Spiderman, and other comic characters have been made? How many historical films have be made about the same subject such as Mary Queen of Scots/Elizabeth I, Elvis Presley, etc, etc. Those are a just a few I can think of before having my coffee. LOL!
    The differences is that Superman, Spiderman, etc. are part of franchises that have a far bigger following/fan base. There is a demand for those kinds of films and they are profitable especially now where the superhero/action films are box office gold. Most historical biopics tend to focus on a segment of a person's career/life rather than their entire life. I'm not saying a Supremes biopic can't be done, but you are cramming a lot into a 2 hour film and what would the quality of the film be? You know a film studio would take artistic liberties with their story. Would you want that and have Mary or Flo be remembered for something they didn't say or do especially if it's something negative? I think you're also forgetting Gordy would never sign off on this. No approval from Gordy, no music. And you can't tell the Supremes' story without the music.

A documentary is a far better route and option and has a far better chance of happening. A biopic has as much to coming to fruition as a Supremes reunion tour. It's not going to happen.

A non-fiction book about the Supremes could be good.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    The differences is that Superman, Spiderman, etc. are part of franchises that have a far bigger following/fan base. There is a demand for those kinds of films and they are profitable especially now where the superhero/action films are box office gold. Most historical biopics tend to focus on a segment of a person's career/life rather than their entire life. I'm not saying a Supremes biopic can't be done, but you are cramming a lot into a 2 hour film and what would the quality of the film be? You know a film studio would take artistic liberties with their story. Would you want that and have Mary or Flo be remembered for something they didn't say or do especially if it's something negative? I think you're also forgetting Gordy would never sign off on this. No approval from Gordy, no music. And you can't tell the Supremes' story without the music.

A documentary is a far better route and option and has a far better chance of happening. A biopic has as much to coming to fruition as a Supremes reunion tour. It's not going to happen.
    They just did one on Freddy Mercury and Queen, so I can't buy that either. The Supremes were much bigger overall.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    A non-fiction book about the Supremes could be good.
    Sour grapes huh?

Gordy and Ross are the roadblocks to a Supremes documentary. The topic of Flo and her dismissal is something they want to shy away from because 1.) fear of them being made into villains 2.) Neither want to take responsibility in how they treated her and the whole situation especially Gordy.

I do think there is a way to do a documentary where no one comes away looking like a villain, but the truth hurts and Gordy would have to get stung.

I loved Dreamgirls when it was released back in 2006, but I recently revisited it and I'm way more critical of it than I used to be. The blurring of lines into the Supremes' image should have never been done as well as changing many aspects of the story such as relocating from Chicago to Detroit, a Motown-like record label, etc. I wish they kept it true to the original stage production. I also think there was a lot of miscasting especially Beyonce. I would love to see a live TV production that's closer to the stage production.
    my understanding is that Beyonce insisted the role be made "nicer." there was still plenty of residual public snarking about the many personnel changes in DC and her role in the group. but by watering down the Deena role, she effectively made it useless with little depth or interest. and her questionable acting skills did nothing to elevate the performance.

The mini-series on the Temptations and the Jacksons were/are very popular. I believe a film on the Supremes would be as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    my understanding is that Beyonce insisted the role be made "nicer." there was still plenty of residual public snarking about the many personnel changes in DC and her role in the group. but by watering down the Deena role, she effectively made it useless with little depth or interest. and her questionable acting skills did nothing to elevate the performance.
    I agree. This fact alone makes it clear that "Dreamgirls" was NOT about The Supremes.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I remembered when this film first came out, she was all supportive of it. Now she reveals she, Diana, Flo's estate and Cindy didn't get consulted?

Also, Motown owns the masters to the music and the film would have to be agreed by ALL parties: Diana, Florence's daughters, Cindy and Gordy.

Until that happens, it won't happen. And that's real.
    The only consent they need is from the owner of the music but Berry retained some kind of veto. I suspect his estate will have the same veto power and it will likely extend for his life and the lives of all his children at least.

In the original production, Deena wasn't really the villian, but the story was slanted so sympathies went with Effie. As much as they changed a lot in the show, the many similarities were enough for people to think it was about the Supremes. I saw the original production, and remember specifically, at intermission [[after Effie's big "I'm Telling You" number), a woman behind me said to her friends, "I didn't know Florence Ballard was in love with Berry Gordy!" So I'm sure many bought Dreamgirls as the Supremes story.

Motown rode the cash cow when the play "Dreamgirls" first hit the stage. This was when Smokey was still VP. I have a Motown poster comparing the play to the Supremes.

Years later, Smokey would denounce the film, saying it ripped off the legacy of Motown.

Sorry, you can't have it both ways.

The play and the movie were very different. As previously mentioned, the movie had mocks of their album covers, references to the Sullivan show, changed the location to Detroit, etc. So Smokey had every right to speak up.

i can't see this happening any time soon. with Diana and Berry still alive and in good health, they'll never allow any likeness or representation on screen without a fight. There have been too many rumors, myths and gossip about what happened. plus the different points of view by the people that were there.

Diana has never been a sentimental person. so i'm sure she was 0 interest in doing this or allowing it to happen. especially since she will be viewed in a negative light.

I’m not sure she has zero interest. Around the late 90’s early 2000’s she was in talks to produce a movie/ mini series about the Supremes. Many hope that she is portrayed as the villain but if produced correctly the blame can be spread to all three ladies regarding things that went on. But I’m sure Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard fans would not be happy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    I’m not sure she has zero interest. Around the late 90’s early 2000’s she was in talks to produce a movie/ mini series about the Supremes. Many hope that she is portrayed as the villain but if produced correctly the blame can be spread to all three ladies regarding things that went on. But I’m sure Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard fans would not be happy with that.
    Yea. There's that. I can add that it's the only interest Wilson and Flo fans have in a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    in one of Randy's books he talks about this. the story goes [[i think) that Cindy had come to her in need of money and rather than just hand her a check, Diana procrastinated long enough on a mini-series Suzanne dePasse was trying to launch. Cindy had already agreed to the project and had received a sum of money for it [[non-refundable). then Diana turned down the project and it died. the idea being that she never intended to do it or participate in it but lead it along long enough for Cindy to get some money from it.

no mention was made of if Mary was involved or received any money from it

Quote Originally Posted by MotownFan615 View Post
    In the original production, Deena wasn't really the villian, but the story was slanted so sympathies went with Effie. As much as they changed a lot in the show, the many similarities were enough for people to think it was about the Supremes. I saw the original production, and remember specifically, at intermission [[after Effie's big "I'm Telling You" number), a woman behind me said to her friends, "I didn't know Florence Ballard was in love with Berry Gordy!" So I'm sure many bought Dreamgirls as the Supremes story.
    In the original premise for the play and while it was still in workshop, the character "Effie" dies at the end of Act I. Jennifer Holliday raised Hell over it [[not due to anything to do with Florence Ballard) because she wanted more stage time than just one Act. The director, Michael Bennett wrote the changes in with the thought that it would be further comparisons to the Supremes story.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Motown rode the cash cow when the play "Dreamgirls" first hit the stage. This was when Smokey was still VP. I have a Motown poster comparing the play to the Supremes.

Years later, Smokey would denounce the film, saying it ripped off the legacy of Motown.

Sorry, you can't have it both ways.
    He only did that to protect the reputation of his friend Berry Gordy Jr. Jamie Foxx's character, "Curtis Taylor, Jr." was portrayed as a mean, conniving son of a bitch! Smokey could not have people believing that that was how Berry Gordy Jr was.........

i can't see this happening any time soon. with Diana and Berry still alive and in good health, they'll never allow any likeness or representation on screen without a fight. There have been too many rumors, myths and gossip about what happened. plus the different points of view by the people that were there.

Diana has never been a sentimental person. so i'm sure she was 0 interest in doing this or allowing it to happen. especially since she will be viewed in a negative light.
    Now why would she be viewed in a negative light if they only told the truth?

Now why would she be viewed in a negative light if they only told the truth?
    Well your "truth" about Diana Ross is 100% negative but we all know what you spread about Diane everyday, its not real honest and would fail every fact check there is.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Well your "truth" about Diana Ross is 100% negative but we all know what you spread about Diane everyday, its not real honest and would fail every fact check there is.
    The truth is that most of the Supremes don’t like Mary Wilson
    Last edited by jobeterob; 08-30-2019 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    The truth is that most of the Supremes donÂ’t like Mary Wilson
    Not to mention most of ... well, I'll stop there. Wonder if the Mary-loonies realize the damage they do to to her? But I've always said: the most hysterical Wilson 'fans' don't GAF about her. They just want to insult other Supremes. And they always [[ALWAYS! Look at the sales of tickets at the Apollo ...) lose.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 08-30-2019 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Incorrect punctuation

Those few fans have had a hand in ensuring there will never be a real reunion either

I don't want to sound disrespectful but what I do remember is that everyone wants to paint Gordy and Ross as the villians surrounding Ballard. How is it that a whole corporation of artists and family and friends did not stand with her ? How is it that not one singer did not side with her and help her ? How did they let her walk away and never reach out to get her back on here feet ? Everyone watched but no one did anything.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I don't want to sound disrespectful but what I do remember is that everyone wants to paint Gordy and Ross as the villians surrounding Ballard. How is it that a whole corporation of artists and family and friends did not stand with her ? How is it that not one singer did not side with her and help her ? How did they let her walk away and never reach out to get her back on here feet ? Everyone watched but no one did anything.
    Not disrespectful and exactly right. Everyone looked the other way until Florence was gone, then pointed fingers to hide their own culpability and inaction. And sadly continues to this day. Vultures.

Not disrespectful and exactly right. Everyone looked the other way until Florence was gone, then pointed fingers to hide their own culpability and inaction. And sadly continues to this day. Vultures.
    its true that everyone acted in their own best interest or dis-interest. I don’t think anyone is to “blame” per se’ and am tired of the finger pointing. Gordy had his interests to protect as did Diana and Mary. It’s just that Mary had to create this fable of abuse and treachery. Let’s face it, Flo Ballard is not the first Person in show business to succumb to substance-abuse…… If this was some sort of rare occurrence then we could look at other variables and maybe point some fingers with a little more authority. Gordy had a history making and moneymaking super group and a burgeoning empire to deal with and he felt getting rid of Florence was the best thing to do, so he did. He may have been a fucker, I don’t know seems like he was…… But we all know that there was a lot of concern about how the public would react to Flos Ouster but we know now that there wasn’t much to worry about. Mary has stated that she went along with the program because she was afraid she would get kicked out of the group, but I call bullshit on that because she knew that they were scared to death to get rid of one member of the group they certainly were not going to have to get rid of two there’s no way that they would’ve replaced Mary unless they had no other choice and she knew that. However, she did admit that she sided with Diana and Barry at that meeting in Outer Drive. And Mary is not to blame at all, yet she still felt the need to justify her non-action and point. Mary could have insisted that flow be given 3 to 6 months off to get herself together. I wish that’s what she and Diana had said to Barry Gordy and then hired Cindy are used Marlene and whoever to fill in the gap‘s Until Flo was OK. Maybe use Florence for some TV shows…… They really didn’t do that much that summer and fall. It could have been arranged. At that time if Florence did not get it together, then bring in Cindy and you’ve known that you’ve done everything you could and have made the correct decision.

I’ve always felt that if the shoe had been on the other foot and mary was the one with the drinking problem and getting kicked out of the group that Florence would not have gone along with the program and fought tooth and nail to prevent that. There’s no way She would’ve accepted Mary’s Ouster unless it was absolutely absolutely absolutely necessary.
    Last edited by TheMotownManiac; 08-31-2019 at 05:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    its true that everyone acted in their own best interest or dis-interest. I don’t think anyone is to “blame” per se’ and am tired of the finger pointing. Gordy had his interests to protect as did Diana and Mary. It’s just that Mary had to create this fable of abuse and treachery. Let’s face it, Flo Ballard is not the first Person in show business to succumb to substance-abuse…… If this was some sort of rare occurrence then we could look at other variables and maybe point some fingers with a little more authority. Gordy had a history making and moneymaking super group and a burgeoning empire to deal with and he felt getting rid of Florence was the best thing to do, so he did. He may have been a fucker, I don’t know seems like he was…… But we all know that there was a lot of concern about how the public would react to Flos Ouster but we know now that there wasn’t much to worry about. Mary has stated that she went along with the program because she was afraid she would get kicked out of the group, but I call bullshit on that because she knew that they were scared to death to get rid of one member of the group they certainly were not going to have to get rid of two there’s no way that they would’ve replaced Mary unless they had no other choice and she knew that. However, she did admit that she sided with Diana and Barry at that meeting in Outer Drive. And Mary is not to blame at all, yet she still felt the need to justify her non-action and point. Mary could have insisted that flow be given 3 to 6 months off to get herself together. I wish that’s what she and Diana had said to Barry Gordy and then hired Cindy are used Marlene and whoever to fill in the gap‘s Until Flo was OK. Maybe use Florence for some TV shows…… They really didn’t do that much that summer and fall. It could have been arranged. At that time if Florence did not get it together, then bring in Cindy and you’ve known that you’ve done everything you could and have made the correct decision.

I’ve always felt that if the shoe had been on the other foot and mary was the one with the drinking problem and getting kicked out of the group that Florence would not have gone along with the program and fought tooth and nail to prevent that. There’s no way She would’ve accepted Mary’s Ouster unless it was absolutely absolutely absolutely necessary.
    This I believe as well and not to keep beating on the same horse but Berry Gordy was a businessman but perhaps not a very kind one and what he did to Florence, he did to Mary and eventually to Diana. He promised the girls he would always take care of them but he really didn't, he made sure he took care of the business and himself. However, together with their hard work and talent he made them a household word. If Flo was alive today she would probably still say BG was an A hole but I bet you she would still say Mary and Diana were her sisters. I still cannot understand why all the producers, singers, writers and staff at Motown why no one stepped to Gordy and said this is not right even after she left. If I remember correctly BG's sister supposedly told Flo that he couldn't do that but I have no proof she actually told her that. However, if it was true why didn't she tell Berry that ?

They just did one on Freddy Mercury and Queen, so I can't buy that either. The Supremes were much bigger overall.
    Queen sold more albums and toured stadiums. I'm just saying... the Supremes' strength was singles. They sold albums and toured to sold out venues all over the world but by the '70s and '80s, things got bigger and by the time Queen had their breakthrough, the Supremes were DONE.

The push to make it Motown was intentional. That's why Smokey Robinson flipped out. And understandable. Martha Reeves also was pissed off about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    The only consent they need is from the owner of the music but Berry retained some kind of veto. I suspect his estate will have the same veto power and it will likely extend for his life and the lives of all his children at least.
    Berry's veto power is why that Sexual Healing biopic ended up being put in the gutter despite the fact it didn't include Motown stuff. Berry's veto has POWER. He don't want ANY film trashing him or his artists.

Most everyone in Motown turned on Flo. That includes, unfortunately, her Supremes partners. That was the saddest part of the Florence story. Fame and fortune ruled over loyalty.

Queen sold more albums and toured stadiums. I'm just saying... the Supremes' strength was singles. They sold albums and toured to sold out venues all over the world but by the '70s and '80s, things got bigger and by the time Queen had their breakthrough, the Supremes were DONE.
    They no black fan base to speak of. The Supremes had black, white, yellow,brown everyone liked their music. I'm saying...... The Supremes were bigger culturally speaking than Queen.

Most everyone in Motown turned on Flo. That includes, unfortunately, her Supremes partners. That was the saddest part of the Florence story. Fame and fortune ruled over loyalty.
    I totally disagree without getting into a long dissertation on it. The Temptations specifically sent a telegram to Mary imploring her to stick by Flo, because it could happen to her or any one of them! Once Flo was out of the Supremes and down on her luck, Eddie Kendricks visited her and gave her cash to help her out. That is just few of the stories that I know about that shows that not most everyone in Motown turned on Flo. Al Abrams even acted as her manager for a short time after she was out of Motown and pursuing solo engagements.

Berry's veto power is why that Sexual Healing biopic ended up being put in the gutter despite the fact it didn't include Motown stuff. Berry's veto has POWER. He don't want ANY film trashing him or his artists.
    I hate to say this, I really, but you are giving Berry Gordy way too much power in your comments here. LOL!

I totally disagree without getting into a long dissertation on it. The Temptations specifically sent a telegram to Mary imploring her to stick by Flo, because it could happen to her or any one of them! Once Flo was out of the Supremes and down on her luck, Eddie Kendricks visited her and gave her cash to help her out. That is just few of the stories that I know about that shows that not most everyone in Motown turned on Flo. Al Abrams even acted as her manager for a short time after she was out of Motown and pursuing solo engagements.
    i think you’re missing the point. So what if The Temptations sent Mary a telegram? To show support for Florence they should’ve sent that telegram to Berry Gordy. And Mary didn’t take their advice anyway as she did not stick by Florence. It’s wonderful that people helped Florence out, but that’s not what we are discussing. We are discussing why those people didn’t help Florence Before she was fired…… Not after. I understand that with all the pressure of the girls were under, that just getting rid of Florence might’ve seemed the only way out at the time and it may very well have been the only way, but I think A lengthy sabbatical was doable…… unless everyone was so frazzled that they just could not take on one more thing. Remember at this time and Diana was a bone and a nervous wreck - she was quite a work horse. Mary could take the strain, Flo couldn’t.

i think you’re missing the point. So what if The Temptations sent Mary a telegram? To show support for Florence they should’ve sent that telegram to Berry Gordy. And Mary didn’t take their advice anyway as she did not stick by Florence. It’s wonderful that people helped Florence out, but that’s not what we are discussing. We are discussing why those people didn’t help Florence Before she was fired…… Not after. I understand that with all the pressure of the girls were under, that just getting rid of Florence might’ve seemed the only way out at the time and it may very well have been the only way, but I think A lengthy sabbatical was doable…… unless everyone was so frazzled that they just could not take on one more thing. Remember at this time and Diana was a bone and a nervous wreck - she was quite a work horse. Mary could take the strain, Flo couldn’t.
    No, you're missing point here. We were SUPPOSE to be discussing "Mary still hoping to have a supremes movie made based on her book..." and he brought that up.

Thank you !!!! This is the point I was trying to make.
    Writing a letter or sending a telegram means nothing at this point when Flo was almost out the door.

Sadly a Supremes movies not gonna happen imo. For the general public Dreamgirls is the Supremes movie. It made a ton of moneey and its shown monthly on cable snd TV channels all over the world. Jennifer Hudsons shout out to Flo at the Golden Globe show just cemented in the publics mind that Dreamgirls is the Storey of the Supremes.

And even Al Abrams couldnt get her a good record deal or decent club dates. Showbiz just wasnt for Flo cause Flo didnt want it enough. That rape basically tortured Flo and the poor girl never got the help she needed to deal with that cruel act she had to endurre.

No, you're missing point here. We were SUPPOSE to be discussing "Mary still hoping to have a supremes movie made based on her book..." and he brought that up.
    The convo has morphed to Flo. The point, again, is that no one helped until AFTER she was out of the group. No one stood up to BG or tried to intervene on her behalf. No one.

As for the top top of the thread:

1) NO ONE will make a movie of Mary’s book because:
    A) The Book is decades old and means nothing to today’s movie audience.
    B) The book, supposedly, is about Mary and no one knows who Mary Wilson is anymore.
    C) The book, thanks to the internet, as source material is Now known to be a one-sided, factually iffy, attempt to shape public image for the gain of its author and not at all a true picture of the group. Case in point: leaving in petty details from childhood and ignoring Diana passing out onstage from exhaustion and having to be hospitalized.
    D) Anyone doing a movie about a The Supremes would be a fool to use her book as that would require a payment for the rights and royalties. The story can be told without the book.
    E) using Mary’s book title would be confusing and a turnoff if the word Dreamgirl was used and no one would be interested in Mary’s life story because almost no one knows who she is.

Id love a movie about the Supremes, there wouldn’t need to be a villain, but I’m not expecting one.

Now, suppose someone did a film mostly about Mary, focusing on her to be a jealous, manipulating Mattress who had a hard time with veracity and was so consumed with envy and resentment that she wrote a book and created a name for herself As the victim of Diana Ross until the internet age proved otherwise. The entire storyline could be 100 percent factual - just very one-sided. Make Mary out to be like the bad girl from a The Children’s Hour. THAT story might sell and be made into quite an interesting indie film. Anyone can tell any story with the right spin and focus.

No one will ever film Dreamgirl: My Life as a Supreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    And even Al Abrams couldnt get her a good record deal or decent club dates. Showbiz just wasnt for Flo cause Flo didnt want it enough. That rape basically tortured Flo and the poor girl never got the help she needed to deal with that cruel act she had to endurre.
    The lifestyle is not for everyone. Imagine being a teenager on The road at Christmas time for birthdays or other important events…… It’s a lot to give up and it’s no embarrassment For people to quit or two find it hard to deal with. I think life on the road Would get real dull after a while and the girls were on the road most of the year. Mary had the right attitude for it. Maybe Diana would have been less stressed if she were not under the thumb of BG and constantly being told the company is riding on her shoulders and she’s not trying hard enough. Real estate is a breeze by comparison.

The convo has morphed to Flo. The point, again, is that no one helped until AFTER she was out of the group. No one stood up to BG or tried to intervene on her behalf. No one.

As for the top top of the thread:

1) NO ONE will make a movie of Mary’s book because:
    A) The Book is decades old and means nothing to today’s movie audience.
    B) The book, supposedly, is about Mary and no one knows who Mary Wilson is anymore.
    C) The book, thanks to the internet, as source material is Now known to be a one-sided, factually iffy, attempt to shape public image for the gain of its author and not at all a true picture of the group. Case in point: leaving in petty details from childhood and ignoring Diana passing out onstage from exhaustion and having to be hospitalized.
    D) Anyone doing a movie about a The Supremes would be a fool to use her book as that would require a payment for the rights and royalties. The story can be told without the book.
    E) using Mary’s book title would be confusing and a turnoff if the word Dreamgirl was used and no one would be interested in Mary’s life story because almost no one knows who she is.

Id love a movie about the Supremes, there wouldn’t need to be a villain, but I’m not expecting one.

Now, suppose someone did a film mostly about Mary, focusing on her to be a jealous, manipulating Mattress who had a hard time with veracity and was so consumed with envy and resentment that she wrote a book and created a name for herself As the victim of Diana Ross until the internet age proved otherwise. The entire storyline could be 100 percent factual - just very one-sided. Make Mary out to be like the bad girl from a The Children’s Hour. THAT story might sell and be made into quite an interesting indie film. Anyone can tell any story with the right spin and focus.

No one will ever film Dreamgirl: My Life as a Supreme.
    So true......................................this will never happen at least in my lifetime.