[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson and Diana Ross sing "Someday We'll Be Together" [August 28, 1979]

40 years ago tonight at Mary's debut show in New York:

^
    I have never heard this before. Diana sounds real good while Mary sounds a little shouty. Mary could be a little over exuberant at times, both as a 70's Supreme and in the early part of her solo career. This changed once she had gained more confidence in her voice and started to relax...........A classic moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    ^
    I have never heard this before. Diana sounds real good while Mary sounds a little shouty. Mary could be a little over exuberant at times, both as a 70's Supreme and in the early part of her solo career. This changed once she had gained more confidence in her voice and started to relax...........A classic moment.
    The entire show was filmed. I've seen it years ago. Yes, a classic moment.

Very nice to hear this, Diana Ross supported Mary in her solo debut and also went to see Cindy in her solo debut. Such a positive clip to hear.

Someday We'll Be Together is my fav DRATS hit....Mary always does a great job on it live....one night she said at the beginning of her show before Stoned Love [[3rd song) "I'm feeling a little husky and deep tonight….I hope I sound OK"....it was one of the best MW shows I ever saw. SWBT was excellent that night....Husky and Deep? RUTH POINTER own that one...God, that woman can sing bass!

I was wondering what they were singing that night.

I love to hear Diana sing. Just beautiful. I agree with Ollie that Mary is a bit much here, although she still sounds pretty good. The vids I've seen of Mary singing "Someday" over the years, she really makes the song her own. It's one of the few Diana led songs-maybe the only one- that I feel Mary does justice to.

This clip also illustrates what I said in a previous thread where Mary's whole show was posted: Mary didn't possess the eloquence and grace that was required for stage patter. At some point it sounds like she becomes tongue tied, and her sentences are all over the place.

"Let the world think we fight, it's alright..."

Diana just didn't know that this was the beginning of Mary carving out a side career. This was the moment Dreamgirl: My Life As A Supreme was born.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I love to hear Diana sing. Just beautiful. I agree with Ollie that Mary is a bit much here, although she still sounds pretty good. The vids I've seen of Mary singing "Someday" over the years, she really makes the song her own. It's one of the few Diana led songs-maybe the only one- that I feel Mary does justice to.

This clip also illustrates what I said in a previous thread where Mary's whole show was posted: Mary didn't possess the eloquence and grace that was required for stage patter. At some point it sounds like she becomes tongue tied, and her sentences are all over the place.

"Let the world think we fight, it's alright..."

Diana just didn't know that this was the beginning of Mary carving out a side career. This was the moment Dreamgirl: My Life As A Supreme was born.
    Stop! It was not! A few months after this on the Today Show, Diana Ross was talking about Mary Wilson beginning her solo career with Tom Brokaw.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Stop! It was not! A few months after this on the Today Show, Diana Ross was talking about Mary Wilson beginning her solo career with Tom Brokaw.
    oh interesting! do you have the link? would love to hear her comments

Overall i was disappointed with Mary's show. not necessarily with the quality of her singing but with the set list. basically she dusted off the show she'd been doing w S and S. Sure she added a few new songs. but for a "solo debut" there should have been something more compelling or interesting.

I think this is great. I love Mary’s clear and gospelish sound and just letting loose and being exuberant.... finding her own voice. I can’t make out everything she and Diana are saying though. Good for Diana for being supportive.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    oh interesting! do you have the link? would love to hear her comments

Overall i was disappointed with Mary's show. not necessarily with the quality of her singing but with the set list. basically she dusted off the show she'd been doing w S and S. Sure she added a few new songs. but for a "solo debut" there should have been something more compelling or interesting.

A Link? This was before the internet or my having a VCR LOL! I do however have it on VHS [[a nice person sent it to me, although I watched the show that morning). It was a n end of the 70s type special edition of the Today Show.

Mary's doing this shouting/singing thing that's annoying. She did this a lot early in her solo career, I think as a "Hey look at me! I can sing too!" Kinda thing.

Diana sings softly the chorus and right after Mary starts screaming "Sister! Sister!", I began laughing imagining Diana flinching and placing a hand over her ear from Mary screaming in her ear and poor Turkessa being awoken from her nap by her mother shouting.