[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    Question for those who purchased albums/45 when originally released

    Today we can get information on just about any topic you can imagine at lightning speed. Imagine if that were the case during Motown's best years. Had you known then what you know now (for example: additional voices being used or substituted, bands not actually playing on sessions, group names on releases when the group didn't actually do the session), would that have made you not purchase certain singles or albums? Or would you purchase said product simply because it was/is great music?

  2. #2
    hard to say...I frequently brought new releases without even hearing them

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Today we can get information on just about any topic you can imagine at lightning speed. Imagine if that were the case during Motown's best years. Had you known then what you know now (for example: additional voices being used or substituted, bands not actually playing on sessions, group names on releases when the group didn't actually do the session), would that have made you not purchase certain singles or albums? Or would you purchase said product simply because it was/is great music?
    You mean... like would I have bought any of Milli Vanilli's records..... hell yeah... they were still great tunes!!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    hard to say...I frequently brought new releases without even hearing them
    I did this in the 90s with alot of soul & rnb singles on release day.

  5. #5
    If I had known then what I know now, it wouldn't have phased me at all. I was hooked on Motown. As long as they sounded great, which they did, I would have continued buying Motown product as it was released -- one masterpiece after another.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Today we can get information on just about any topic you can imagine at lightning speed. Imagine if that were the case during Motown's best years. Had you known then what you know now (for example: additional voices being used or substituted, bands not actually playing on sessions, group names on releases when the group didn't actually do the session), would that have made you not purchase certain singles or albums? Or would you purchase said product simply because it was/is great music?
    NO! Also consider that Motown was not the only label who changed things behind the scenes of their recordings. As the statement on the Gordy label used to say "It's What's In The Grooves That Count".

  7. #7
    If i like it i buy it!!

  8. #8
    I have to admit , when I purchased SUGAR SUGAR by The Archies (my favorite record of all time) I didn't really think that was Archie singing it. ( although I might have pretended it was Veronica singing, "I'm gonna make your life so sweet!" lol!)

    Don't usually like this kind of rework , but this one works!



    How can anyone listen to this song and not smile

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I have to admit , when I purchased SUGAR SUGAR by The Archies (my favorite record of all time) I didn't really think that was Archie singing it. ( although I might have pretended it was Veronica singing, "I'm gonna make your life so sweet!" lol!)

    Don't usually like this kind of rework , but this one works!



    How can anyone listen to this song and not smile
    I got my copy of "Sugar, Sugar" of the back of an Post Alphabets cereal box! LOL!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I got my copy of "Sugar, Sugar" of the back of an Post Alphabets cereal box! LOL!
    HA HA I think I remember JINGLE JANGLE being on it too:

    Here's another one:


  11. #11
    If I had known then what I know now, I still would have purchased the product.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.