[REMOVE ADS]

Marvin Gaye – What’s Going On Live CD/2LP

From Both Sides Now Publications:
    Name:  2019-08-25 19_01_33-Free Screencapture.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  8.4 KB

Does it say who are the musicians playing on this cd?

edafan

There’s no information of any kind yet other than the cover and release date of Oct 18th.

On Amazon, I see that this is coming out on Motown, with the vinyl showing the Tamla label. Maybe this is the 1972 Kennedy Center concert that was released previously on the deluxe cd edition of WHAT'S GOING ON.

I have that feeling too, although did that include every What’s Going On track in the right order? [[haven’t checked my Deluxe Cd yet).

Quote Originally Posted by alanh View Post
    I have that feeling too, although did that include every What’s Going On track in the right order? [[haven’t checked my Deluxe Cd yet).
    Not sure if it was in order. I must confess that I played it once when I first bought it and that was it.

Yes, it's the Kennedy Center concert which was part of the second disc [[tracks 1-12) of the Deluxe Edition released in 2001. Disc image now on Amazon.com. Excitement over!!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TR2VC1N/?tag=imwan-20

I may be wrong but I don’t think that the Kennedy centre show on the deluxe edition includes “mercy mercy me”, I’m not saying he never played it just it’s not on the release.

Also the songs aren’t presented on the order of the album, but again this could just be the sequencing for the release

Of course, if anyone can confirm the actual sequence and tracks played [[if different); this will be interesting...

What’s Going On Live’ features Marvin Gaye’s legendary concert – the only live performance of his iconic 1971 What’s Going On album in full – recorded in February of 1972 at the Kennedy Center in his Washington, D.C. hometown, & notable as Marvin’s first concert after a 4 year hiatus. After being shelved for decades, the recording was eventually released on CD in 2001 within Motown/UMe’s expanded deluxe edition for the What’s Going On album. Never before issued on vinyl or as a standalone CD, What’s Going On Live is newly mixed for its 2019 release by John Morales at M+M Mix Studios and mastered by Alex Abrash at AA Mastering. Packaging includes rare photos from Gaye’s performance and a new liner notes essay by Marvin Gaye biographer David Ritz.

The track list for this new issue is exactly the same as on the Deluxe edition according to the Amazon details and the photo for the disc itself that you can see on that link I posted [[and is now on both the US and UK Amazon sites).

1. Sixties Medley That's The Way Love Is / You / I Heard It Through The Grapevine / Little Darling [[I Need You) / You're All I Need To Get By / Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing / Your Precious Love / Pride And Joy / Stubborn Kind Of Fellow
    2. Right On
    3. Wholy Holy
    4. Inner City Blues [[Make Me Wanna Holler)
    5. What's Going On
    6. What's Happening Brother
    7. Flyin' High [[In The Friendly Sky)
    8. Save The Children
    9. God Is Love
    10. Stage Dialogue
    11. Inner City Blues [[Make Me Wanna Holler) [[Reprise)
    12. What's Going On [[Reprise)

So it's not really 'What's Going On Live'.......with songs not in the original order and missing Mercy Mercy Me as you say. In addition the Sixties Medley wasn't part of the original album as we know. This, in reality, is just an extract from the concert. I'm also wary to hear that it has been remixed by John Morales. I hope he hasn't changed too much! [[although as I have the Deluxe I won't be buying this anyway!).

From The Second Disc —

https://theseconddisc.com/2019/08/on...-with-new-mix/

This explains WHY “Mercy Mercy Me” isn’t there. Someone was changing tapes. Cooler heads would have had a 10-minute pause or signaled to Marvin to talk. It is what it is. I an wondering now if they had to “change tapes” during “Farewell [[Captured Live on Stage)” etc.
    Last edited by zani57; 08-30-2019 at 01:27 PM.

Can somebody please explain the logic of how this warrants a release on cd ,vinyl and coloured vinyl when its already been released on cd before yet theres all of the download only stuff that could have been released instead...is this really going to sell enough copies to cover the cost of releasing it on 3 different formats...i just dont get it.

Completely agree with mowsville. Does the world really need this? There's enough second hand versions of WGO to keep the next generation and the one after that supplied. This is just a waste of materials.

....and it’s not as if it’s being made available at budget price to entice a few additional sales. The UK Amazon price is £9.99

I just dont get it...its only going to appeal to his die hard fans and they will prob have the first copy when it was released with the expanded edition ON CD.

To all the haters: Nobody forces you to buy this.
    I have all available versions of WGO, even the very expensive Mobi version.
    Will still get this, prob on vinyl.

Name:  R-1879671-1249722768.jpeg.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  38.9 KB

Agree with the popular opinion, there's absolutely no need for this. Even with a new mix I have no inspiration to shell out for it. Imagine what could've filled the release date that would appeal to Motown "FANS" more. The expanded edition of "Reflections", The San Remo Strings project Keith Hughes hinted at last winter, Stoney & Meatloaf,etc would've all been better projects. Strangely Ace/Kent hasn't participated as Universal probably limited their options and rights to keep everything available for themselves this year. Keith Hughes has been very M.I.A. and Harry Weinger hasn't done any interviews [[didn't even appear in "Hitsville"). I'll buy this rehash when I have some play money like a true "hater". Thank You very much UMG, Great Job.

Quote Originally Posted by zani57 View Post
    From The Second Disc —

https://theseconddisc.com/2019/08/on...-with-new-mix/

This explains WHY “Mercy Mercy Me” isn’t there. Someone was changing tapes. Cooler heads would have had a 10-minute pause or signaled to Marvin to talk. It is what it is. I an wondering now if they had to “change tapes” during “Farewell [[Captured Live on Stage)” etc.
    When Martha and the Vandellas were recording their live album, there was a column in Soul magazine that said they kept running out of tape. So I'm sure multiple shows were recorded so there wouldn't be any missing songs. In a similar vein, three nights of the FAREWELL performances were recorded.

By comparison, since Marvin's concert here was one time only, I guess no one had the foresight to see that a tape change might be needed.

...and talking of Martha & Vandellas. Wouldn't it have been something if we had been treated to their Copa live recording instead of this Re-hash?

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    Agree with the popular opinion, there's absolutely no need for this. Even with a new mix I have no inspiration to shell out for it. Imagine what could've filled the release date that would appeal to Motown "FANS" more. The expanded edition of "Reflections", The San Remo Strings project Keith Hughes hinted at last winter, Stoney & Meatloaf,etc would've all been better projects. Strangely Ace/Kent hasn't participated as Universal probably limited their options and rights to keep everything available for themselves this year. Keith Hughes has been very M.I.A. and Harry Weinger hasn't done any interviews [[didn't even appear in "Hitsville"). I'll buy this rehash when I have some play money like a true "hater". Thank You very much UMG, Great Job.
    Who is green lighting these projects to get them released on CD AND vinyl? I know Andy and George fight tooth and nail to get the Supremes' catalog released on CD and Universal is going to release this on not one, but TWO formats when there has been no demand for it? This is a waste when another far more deserving project could have been released.

The problem with Universal is that they hold on to the catalog for themselves and then they do absolutely nothing with it. Motown 60 is just like Motown 50 - a huge wet fart. This is the last anniversary where a lot of the big stars are still around. Universal should have gone all out for this anniversary and if they didn't, they should have licensed out the catalog to Ace/Kent/Second Disc. So many opportunities wasted and this What's Going On Live is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Who is green lighting these projects to get them released on CD AND vinyl? I know Andy and George fight tooth and nail to get the Supremes' catalog released on CD and Universal is going to release this on not one, but TWO formats when there has been no demand for it? This is a waste when another far more deserving project could have been released.

The problem with Universal is that they hold on to the catalog for themselves and then they do absolutely nothing with it. Motown 60 is just like Motown 50 - a huge wet fart. This is the last anniversary where a lot of the big stars are still around. Universal should have gone all out for this anniversary and if they didn't, they should have licensed out the catalog to Ace/Kent/Second Disc. So many opportunities wasted and this What's Going On Live is one of them.
    To be honest Brad, I don't believe that this was Harry's idea and I may be wrong, but I can't imagine him being too strong of a supporter for an idea that's repeatedly recycled. He's already done this[[way back in 2001),why revisit it?.The 40th anniversary super deluxe edition of the album literally EMPTIED the vaults with "WGO" material even to the stretch of the "Bunch Of Cats From Detroit" sessions[[Just turned the archive over and shook it!).The public has access to everything Marvin committed to tape from that time,they have nothing left to tinker with and need to leave it alone to be the landmark album that it is.

In my observation,the real issue at hand is politics and the forming of a plan for the catalog that will not work. What the higher up's at Universal need to get through their minds is that there are only so many Motown fans on the planet and the sales of any given project will support the size of the fan base.They'll NEVER get the numbers they're looking for from a classic Motown reissue because the legacy can't live up to that expectation. They make projections based on what they "Wish" to gross as opposed to what they "Can" gross and this is the prime reason why many business relationships of major companies don't work out. They press and ship according to personal ambition not market demand and lose gobs of money as a result. Ace/Kent understands this integral part of the music industry, the majors don't care or flat out ignores it.

Another thing[[i'm going too long) is that very few people at the top of the chain of record companies know anything about music and the people that do are either at the bottom or are in position, but too timid to risk it fighting for something they believe in.What UMe needs to do is give Harry Weinger an annual budget and complete autonomy while they sit back and watch. If that department turns a profit fine,if not then the budget remains or a cut is implemented. Having him at the mercy of their decisions are throwing fans for a loop and causing major disappointment. H.W. KNOWS music and what to do,give him the money and get out of the way so he can invest it.....the numbers come in at the end!!!
    Last edited by Quinn; 09-03-2019 at 03:49 AM.

Well said Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    To be honest Brad, I don't believe that this was Harry's idea and I may be wrong, but I can't imagine him being too strong of a supporter for an idea that's repeatedly recycled. He's already done this[[way back in 2001),why revisit it?.The 40th anniversary super deluxe edition of the album literally EMPTIED the vaults with "WGO" material even to the stretch of the "Bunch Of Cats From Detroit" sessions[[Just turned the archive over and shook it!).The public has access to everything Marvin committed to tape from that time,they have nothing left to tinker with and need to leave it alone to be the landmark album that it is.

In my observation,the real issue at hand is politics and the forming of a plan for the catalog that will not work. What the higher up's at Universal need to get through their minds is that there are only so many Motown fans on the planet and the sales of any given project will support the size of the fan base.They'll NEVER get the numbers they're looking for from a classic Motown reissue because the legacy can't live up to that expectation. They make projections based on what they "Wish" to gross as opposed to what they "Can" gross and this is the prime reason why many business relationships of major companies don't work out. They press and ship according to personal ambition not market demand and lose gobs of money as a result. Ace/Kent understands this integral part of the music industry, the majors don't care or flat out ignores it.

Another thing[[i'm going too long) is that very few people at the top of the chain of record companies know anything about music and the people that do are either at the bottom or are in position, but too timid to risk it fighting for something they believe in.What UMe needs to do is give Harry Weinger an annual budget and complete autonomy while they sit back and watch. If that department turns a profit fine,if not then the budget remains or a cut is implemented. Having him at the mercy of their decisions are throwing fans for a loop and causing major disappointment. H.W. KNOWS music and what to do,give him the money and get out of the way so he can invest it.....the numbers come in at the end!!!
    Very well said. I'd like to also add that Universal doesn't promote their releases. You're The Man seemed to get a push from the company, but all the other releases get a brief mention on Facebook, Instagram and that's it. You can't expect this stuff to sell if you don't invest in a little promotion. At this point, I think Universal should just license out the Motown catalog to small third-party labels like Ace/Second Disc, etc. Those labels know what they're doing, know what the fans want, and the releases seem to do well enough for them to go back for more.

I like to go back to something you said "...very few people at the top of the chain of record companies know anything about music and the people that do are either at the bottom..." This reminds me of a quote I hear and I think it's every bit true. "There's too many business people in the music business and not enough music people."

I wasn’t gonna buy this because I have this set a number of times already, on the deluxe edition and 4 lp set etc, but I succumbed and pick this up today.

Omg the mix is awesome, takes this set to another level... I’m blown away... never spent a better tenner!

I downloaded a hi-rez version and cd and vinyl are on their way