[REMOVE ADS]

Jackie Wilson to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame

great news

edafan

Well-deserved but why did it take so long to honor an icon of music?

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    Well-deserved but why did it take so long to honor an icon of music?
    That's something I don't understand. You have what I consider very minor contributors receive stars years before Jackie.

To receive a Star on the Walk Of Fame, you must be nominated by someone who assumes the financial responsibility to pay for the event [[currently $30,000 with 5 years to come up with the funding and schedule the ceremony or the plug gets pulled), then be one of those approved by a vote of the committee members for the upcoming years Stars [[about 2 ceremonies per month coming from different categories [[music, television, film, recording,) for a total of 12-14 ceremonies per year… Unlikely anyone thought of nominating him before. I did a sponsorship and nomination and coming up with the money was a harrowing experience with all sorts of people looking to take advantage of the situation... I doubt any of Jackie's heirs had the money for a Star... I know of a well deserving musician who would almost surely be voted in, but that person has humbly stated that due to the cost, he's not advancing his own case for the awarding of a Star, and I even offered to walk the nomination through the process, as long as his [[many quite wealthy) friends came up with the money, but nobody has stepped up... That's just how it works...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 08-24-2019 at 04:45 PM.

Thanks, StuBass1, for explaining how the nomination process works. It helps make sense of why some who deserve this honor may never get it.

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    Thanks, StuBass1, for explaining how the nomination process works. It helps make sense of why some who deserve this honor may never get it.
    You're welcome mowest… Remember that the entire Walk of Fame operation is a function of the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce who runs the entire event as an adjunct to historically selling Hollywood to the greater world at large and is the most visible function of that organization...It has been wildly successful in bringing publicity and attention to maintaining Hollywoods image as it's most recognizable symbol and they take the entire thing quite seriously...

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Just heard the news! Congratulations in Paradise to Jackie Wilson [[and thanks for sharing Marv).

About time!

Just learned, the speakers will be Berry Gordy, Smokey annd Marshall Thompson of the Chi Lites...so the obvious answer to my question is Berry and Smokey covered the cost [[Jackie was instrumental to Berry's early involvement in the music business)... Wish they had been there when we did the Funk Brothers Star...would have made it a lot easier, but nice to see what they are doing for Jackie... As a side note, Jackie's ex-wife just passed away, just 12 days before the ceremony...

Memba this.................

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I’m shocked no one has not done a full length documentary on Jackie.

Quote Originally Posted by Encyclopedia Mack View Post
    I’m shocked no one has not done a full length documentary on Jackie.
    His life story would make an excellent documentary.

This was always my favorite Jackie song.