[REMOVE ADS]

Booker T. And The MG's "The Complete Stax Singles Vol. 1: 1962-1967" - 10/11/2019

With apologies to groups like The Meters, Bar-Kays, and Average White Band, when it comes to all-time great instrumental R&B bands, for most folks Booker T. & the MG's represent the gold standard. And with good reason…or, actually reasons! First of all, as the house band of the hallowed Stax label and studio, The MG's pretty much invented the sound of Southern soul, playing on records by everybody from Otis Redding to Wilson Pickett to Carla Thomas. Second, on their own as Booker T & the MG's, they came up with some of the most indelible instrumental jams of all time, including—but by no means limited to!—"Green Onions." And, third, each member of the band was an absolute monster on their instrument, to this day revered and copied by untold numbers of musicians. Indeed, by the time the mid '60s rolled around, bands on both sides of the Atlantic wanted to sound like Booker T. Jones, Steve Cropper, Al Jackson, Jr, and Lewie Steinberg [[replaced about halfway through this collection by the great Donald "Duck" Dunn). And what was that sound? Well, a typical MG's tune started from the bottom-up, resting on the rock-solid drumbeat of Jackson and the in-thepocket bass work of Steinberg and, later, Dunn, over which keyboardist Jones and guitarist Cropper traded slinky and/or stinging licks. But these cats weren't just riffhappy groove masters; Jones basically codified the classic Hammond organ sound and Cropper's guitar tone remains the Holy Grail of anyone who's ever picked up a Fender Telecaster. Together, they recorded 49 single sides for Stax under the name of Booker T. & the MG's, and you'll find the first 29 [[yes, 29!) of 'em right here, released on a single CD or double-LP pressed in blue vinyl and limited to 1000 copies. As with all of our singles collections, we have very carefully vetted these songs to make sure they are the correct mono single versions, with mastering by Dan Hersch at d2 Mastering, and tape research and sourcing by Mike Johnson and Aaron Kannowski with help from Bill Inglot. Ed Osborne has contributed detailed notes and discographical information, too, and the set's produced by Real Gone's own Gordon Anderson. As for the music, it pretty much speaks for itself: 29 songs, 15 of which reached the charts, including, along with "Green Onions," such classics as "Boot-Leg," "Hip Hug-Her," and "My Sweet Potato." Get ready to get into the groove and stay there for a nice, long while!

Tracklist
    1. Green Onions
    2. Behave Yourself
    3. Jellybread
    4. Aw' Mercy
    5. Home Grown
    6. Big Train
    7. Chinese Checkers
    8. Plum-Nellie
    9. Fannie Mae
    10. Mo-Onions
    11. Tic-Tac-Toe
    12. Soul Dressing
    13. MG Party
    14. Can't Be Still
    15. Terrible Thing
    16. Boot-Leg
    17. Outrage
    18. Be My Lady
    19. Red Beans and Rice
    20. My Sweet Potato
    21. Booker-Loo
    22. Jingle Bells
    23. Winter Wonderland
    24. Hip Hug-Her
    25. Summertime
    26. Groovin'
    27. Slim Jenkin's Place
    28. Winter Snow
    29. Silver Bells
    CD
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WS2QW9Y/?tag=imwan-20

Vinyl
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WP73MJN/?tag=imwan-20

Although I have seen them in concert and enjoyed the show, I am not a big enough fan to buy this one......but as I have said before in general..........KEEP THESE RELEASES COMING!!!!

I like "Green Onions", but have been a little underwhelmed by the other tracks I checked out. Not to take away from the guys' playing and undeniable contribution to music, but without a singer and even a horn section, I find a lil something missing.