[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson of the Supremes Won't Get Over Son's Death

Kind of an odd story title. Who the hell can get over the death of their child?

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Kind of an odd story title. Who the hell can get over the death of their child?
    Marv is known for his love of the macabre - hence his photo shoots at funerals.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Why bring up this? It is a private matter that has no place on a music forum. Anyone who has suffered the horror of losing a child knows full well that you never get over it. You learn to live with it, but i compare it to someone constantly stabbing at your heart with no hope of a respite. Shame on you for posting this.

I agree with Det that it's an odd title. It's actually a dumb title. But as far as the contents of the article go, there was nothing about it that was out of bounds for posting in a forum devoted to Mary and her singing partners. The article was tastefully written, outside of that idiotic title. And who knows who might have read it who is currently going through the most horrible tragedy known to man- losing a child- and needed to read about someone who lives with the pain but is managing to keep life going.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I agree with Det that it's an odd title. It's actually a dumb title. But as far as the contents of the article go, there was nothing about it that was out of bounds for posting in a forum devoted to Mary and her singing partners. The article was tastefully written, outside of that idiotic title. And who knows who might have read it who is currently going through the most horrible tragedy known to man- losing a child- and needed to read about someone who lives with the pain but is managing to keep life going.
    Amen to that. My cousin lost his son just last month.

Sorry to hear that. So many people are having to bury their children. With murder, drug overdoses, suicides, car accidents, undiagnosed conditions, parents seem to be outliving their children more than in the past, perhaps if you exclude the old mortality rates for babies back in the day. Such a horrible thing to go through.

I think the article [[sans the title) is appropriate bc Mary appreciates when fans exhibit their concern for her well-being which of course has to be done in a respectful manner.The article highlights her high level of coping skills. And if her resiliency helped just one person, she would be glad for that individual. Her books even discuss the low points of her life that can be a learning a experience for others.

Condolences Marv.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Condolences Marv.
    Thank you DET.

Seriously. Like anyone else does??

Didn't she go out partying the day after the accident ?

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Didn't she go out partying the day after the accident ?
    Stop it. The woman was gravely ill in hospital grieving for her lost child. Shame shame shame on you for posting that.

Sorry to hear that. So many people are having to bury their children. With murder, drug overdoses, suicides, car accidents, undiagnosed conditions, parents seem to be outliving their children more than in the past, perhaps if you exclude the old mortality rates for babies back in the day. Such a horrible thing to go through.
    Thank you. Oh yeah I know. Two childhood friends of mine ,both cousins of one another lost their children. My friend Rich's son was shot to death by a burglar he was trying to fend off in his mothers' home. He was just 18. Rich's girl cousin, Kayla lost her daughter who was given the incorrect treatment in the emergency room of a hospital. She was just 23 years old. It was unbearable and I could not be there for them. I have since seen and spoke to them both about their loses. Tough breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Stop it. The woman was gravely ill in hospital grieving for her lost child. Shame shame shame on you for posting that.
    First of all, do not shame me or anyone else, especially when you don’t know sh*t.

second, Mary was on Sally Jessie Raphael show with Rita Coolidge and Mary said it herself! She went out dancing. Sally and the audience were shocked.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 08-24-2019 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    First of all, do not shame me or anyone else, especially when you don’t know sh*t.

second, Mary was on Sally Jessie Raphael show with Rita Coolidge and Mary said it herself! She went out dancing. Sally and the audience were shocked.
    Thats a dam*d lie and you dont have a clip that prove Mary Wilson was anywhere other than in the hospital in a bad physical and emotional state. She had just lost her son the DAY BEFORE and was NOT out dancing. You sir or maam are a disgrace for even discussing a woman who was grieving her 14 year old childs passing. So yes. sHAME on you and I hop you never have to go through the pain of loosing a child. Theres nothing worse for any parent.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Thats a dam*d lie and you dont have a clip that prove Mary Wilson was anywhere other than in the hospital in a bad physical and emotional state. She had just lost her son the DAY BEFORE and was NOT out dancing. You sir or maam are a disgrace for even discussing a woman who was grieving her 14 year old childs passing. So yes. sHAME on you and I hop you never have to go through the pain of loosing a child. Theres nothing worse for any parent.
    Damn right there is nothing worse for any parent. There is no way on earth that Mary Wilson would have gone out dancing the night after losing her son. The poor woman would have been numb with grief. What a disgraceful thing to say.

I did say it was a mistake to start a post with this sensitive subject matter on a music forum and after reading some of the responses on this thread i have been proven right.

Thank you Marv. Sad but informative article.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulmusic4life View Post
    Thank you Marv. Sad but informative article.
    You are most welcome Soulmusic4life.

That title was unnecessary. I still remember reading about this news on JET. Think Rafael would be 40 by now.

The link cannot be seen in the UK. However I am assuming that it is a current article which is relevant to this forum.

Bearing in mind the volume of articles that Marv reposts, if he hadn't posted this one, it would have been akin to censorship.

Here's the article text for those who can't link to it:

The Supremes' Mary Wilson won't get over son's death

The Supremes' Mary Wilson "will never get over" the death of her son.

The 75-year-old singer - who was the founder and longest member of the legendary group - tragically lost her then-14-year-old son Rafael in a car crash, in which she was behind the wheel of her Jeep Cherokee, in January 1994 and, although she got through the ordeal with "resilience", she'll never forgive herself.

Speaking to Dan Wootton on 'The Dan Wootton Interview', she said: "I was driving the car, but you know we had gotten a lot of sleep that night. I had not been drinking or anything like that It was really devastating. I think the only thing that got me through was probably just being who I am. I am very resilient.

"My other son said to me, 'Mum, losing Rafael was like having a hole in my heart.' And I'm like, 'Yeah, you're right, it's like a hole but you've still got your heart, you still have your heart.' And I think that's what got me through, still having that heart and knowing life can be up and it can be down and you've got to learn how to roll with the punches as they say. I mean I'm not over it, I'll never be over it."

Mary has pictures of Rafael all over her house and sometimes she'll look at them and "just burst into tears" as she reflects on the tragic accident 25 years ago.

She explained: "I have his picture all over my house and sometimes I will look at it and I'll just burst into tears. And sometimes I'll just smile, you know, you've just got to, something in you, you've got to have that."

Rafael - who was travelling to Las Vegas at the time with his mother - died from internal injuries after the car swerved off the highway and flipped, landing on upright on the left shoulder, and he was thrown out of the passenger door.

This article originally ran on celebretainment.com.