[REMOVE ADS]

Scherrie Payne....Incredible CD now available at Dusty Groove

About Product Images

This image is a general representation of the item and the actual product may differ slightly in terms of color shading, logo placement, borders, or other small details. Used items may have various cosmetic differences as well.

Scherrie Payne

Incredible

You requested this item on August 22, 2019

CD [[Item 913197) Everland [[Austria), 1987 — Condition: New Copy

$14.99 ... CD

Also available
    Scherrie Payne — Incredible ... LP 22.99

A late solo set from ex-Supreme Scherrie Payne, and nicely different than the 70s work she did after leaving that famous group! The set's got this great bubbling bounce – part 80s soul, part 80s club – and the record's put together by a host of top-shelf talents – from producer Wayne Henderson at the helm, through a lineup that includes keyboards from Phillip Ingram and guitars from Craig T Cooper. Ingram also adds a bit of guest vocals to the record, bringing the whole thing into a mode that echoes some of the more familiar R&B styles of the time – while still keeping the indie edge of the set. Titles include "Incredible", "Testify", "Touch Me Up", "Right Stuff", "On & On", "Hot Flash", and "Get

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post

About Product Images

This image is a general representation of the item and the actual product may differ slightly in terms of color shading, logo placement, borders, or other small details. Used items may have various cosmetic differences as well.

Scherrie Payne

Incredible

You requested this item on August 22, 2019

CD [[Item 913197) Everland [[Austria), 1987 — Condition: New Copy

$14.99 ... CD

Also available
    Scherrie Payne — Incredible ... LP 22.99

A late solo set from ex-Supreme Scherrie Payne, and nicely different than the 70s work she did after leaving that famous group! The set's got this great bubbling bounce – part 80s soul, part 80s club – and the record's put together by a host of top-shelf talents – from producer Wayne Henderson at the helm, through a lineup that includes keyboards from Phillip Ingram and guitars from Craig T Cooper. Ingram also adds a bit of guest vocals to the record, bringing the whole thing into a mode that echoes some of the more familiar R&B styles of the time – while still keeping the indie edge of the set. Titles include "Incredible", "Testify", "Touch Me Up", "Right Stuff", "On & On", "Hot Flash", and "Get
    GREAT NEWS - I adore Scherrie and wish we’d see more of her on the forum!

Good news; love that Dusty Groove!

I'm sorry I can't be as enthusiastic as this review from Amazon. I listened to it today
    for the first time and was left rather cold. I was disappointed, as being a big fan
    of Sherrie's I was expecting more.....and more didn't happen. Lots of filler stuff to
    my ears. Others may hear it differently? Still, worth having if you're a fan.
    Here's what Amazon had to say.

Flashy funky 80s pop with a good amount of soul added for the good measure, celebrated passionately by a former lead singer of THE SUPREMES. A must have for fans of female fronted pop acts from the 80s. Great songs, great performance, great production, a true masterpiece so to speak. Scherrie Payne is the younger sister of well known actress and singer Freda Payne and has been co lead singer with THE SUPREMES from 1973 to 1977. Quite a vita, one might say. But her 1987 solo album ãIncredibleÒ sank without a trace, despite the high quality pop music included. 670 US$ is the highest price fetched for this gem that I saw and I thought it must be an amazing piece of music. I can assure you, if you would not have known this masterpiece as a fan of perfectly produced 80s pop with a definite soul influence, you would have dearly missed out one of the most intense collections of pop songs ever released, but thanks to EVERLAND MUSIC we hold this gem in our hands as a reissue and can now witness the truly incredible talent of Ms. Sherrie Payne and her partner in crime, former SWITCH member Philipp Ingram. Sherrie croons on every song here in a breathtaking way with a voice of divine power and angelic brightness. The arrangements are not frugal with little details, of course most coming from electronic sound devices of the day, as usual with most 80s pop music. A few funky guitar licks here and there and probably the bass guitar lines are certainly handmade, the rest is synthesizer pop but of the highest order. The grooves are addictive, the melodies haunt you and wonÕt leave for a long time after the record has reached the final track. This is 100 % pop music from the 1980s, a product of itÕs era but with a vibrant charme and songs that are outstanding. It is hard to compare this to other female fronted pop acts of the day, on the other hand this fits well with fans of YAZOO, Madonna, Sinitta, Whitney Houston and BANANARAMA as it features all the trademarks that this music needs. Catchy tunes with a longer lasting effect, great melodies, a slick and powerful production and a joyful atmosphere. Stylistically there is so much funk to be found in here, that with a more natural sound this album could have easily topped the charts in 1978 during the disco heydays due to these outstanding songs. Everything is a little bit more flashy here, as we have reached the second half oft the 80s. Anyway, this record gives a fan of energetic 80s pop goosebumps for itÕs depth in the compositions and great emotional expression. So grab your copy today or at latest tomorrow for you have no excuse to miss this gem again.

I got this CD back in the 90s I think. It was ok. The only thing I was expecting was to hear Scherrie's voice on some newer material at the time.

Thanks, but I'd rather have a CD with Aretha's studio version of Touch Me Up. It was one highlight of her 1977 album, which was the best album of the final few issued on Atlantic. The other later Atlantic albums each had one or two good songs sprinkled in here and there, such as You Brought Me Back To Life Again, but for the most part the albums were nowhere near the early Atlantic albums, which were strong, cut after cut.

Scherrie and Susaye have never been served well by recordings following their time with the Supremes, in my humble opinion. Scherrie has a fantastic voice which to me has always seemed closer to a Broadway showstopper than an R&B singer, while Susaye's pipes absolutely deserve to be heard doing standards such as one she often does live, "My Funny Valentine."

I think the problem [[though I have never heard this recording) is that producers try to evoke the era in which they became well known, Motown in its last few golden years or Disco in its brief reign as everyone's music. I think both their voices are so much better [[or at least much more versatile than that) and I wish that someone recorded them doing more contemporary numbers, show tunes or standards.

It's amazing to me that singers with that kind of talent are simply ignored by the recording industry but I guess they're always looking for the next big thing, not trying to record a truly talented performer whose time in the spotlight has [[seemed to) pass.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Scherrie and Susaye have never been served well by recordings following their time with the Supremes, in my humble opinion. Scherrie has a fantastic voice which to me has always seemed closer to a Broadway showstopper than an R&B singer, while Susaye's pipes absolutely deserve to be heard doing standards such as one she often does live, "My Funny Valentine."

I think the problem [[though I have never heard this recording) is that producers try to evoke the era in which they became well known, Motown in its last few golden years or Disco in its brief reign as everyone's music. I think both their voices are so much better [[or at least much more versatile than that) and I wish that someone recorded them doing more contemporary numbers, show tunes or standards.

It's amazing to me that singers with that kind of talent are simply ignored by the recording industry but I guess they're always looking for the next big thing, not trying to record a truly talented performer whose time in the spotlight has [[seemed to) pass.
    I think you hit the nail on the head, Kenneth. I was so disappointed in this recording.
    I had read where it basically sunk. I can see why. The voice is great...the material
    was lousy. Give the lady some really good material and she can sing the hell out of
    it.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    I think you hit the nail on the head, Kenneth. I was so disappointed in this recording.
    I had read where it basically sunk. I can see why. The voice is great...the material
    was lousy. Give the lady some really good material and she can sing the hell out of
    it.
    I'm sorry to hear you didn't like it because I know as a Scherrie fan you wanted to like it. Scherrie can sing anything. Who needs another recording of "Let Yourself Go?"