[REMOVE ADS]

Universal Motown missing a marketing opportunity.

I have seen about the Universal Music announcement of "Motown: The Complete #1's" which as housed in a lovely replica of the original Hitsville headquarters.

The announcement continues and indicates the box set includes an exclusive 100 page book with rare and vintage photos.

From a marketing standpoint, why doesn't Universal print a limited extra quantity of this 100 page book and offer it for sale by itself? Why should I spend all that money when I have the Complete Motown Singles collection and virtually all the 45's, albums, and CDs that are probably included in the song selection. It could retail as a select item for $29.99 or a similar amount.

What does anyone else think about this?

woodward, Universal has missed soooo many marketing opportunities it's a bit of a joke. In fact, I would venture to say that they haven't hit any marketing opportunities correctly, from the book you mentioned back to all the Deluxe Reissues that arrived after anniversary dates and without any fanfare whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I have seen about the Universal Music announcement of "Motown: The Complete #1's" which as housed in a lovely replica of the original Hitsville headquarters.

The announcement continues and indicates the box set includes an exclusive 100 page book with rare and vintage photos.

From a marketing standpoint, why doesn't Universal print a limited extra quantity of this 100 page book and offer it for sale by itself? Why should I spend all that money when I have the Complete Motown Singles collection and virtually all the 45's, albums, and CDs that are probably included in the song selection. It could retail as a select item for $29.99 or a similar amount.

What does anyone else think about this?
    I think that is a great idea. Like you, I already have a huge amount of Motown recordings. I would however, be interested in the book alone. I bought the big gold color Motown Album book back around 1990 and hopefully this new book would have different photos in it.