[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 28 of 28
  1. #1

    "Mickey's Monkey" by The Miracles

    Just because it's fun to remember and it is a great song! This record had Miracles, Supremes, Vandellas and God knows who else on it! LOL!


  2. #2
    Here is the list of additional singers on "Mickey's Monkey":

    Mary Wilson — background vocals
    Martha Reeves — background vocals
    Rosalind Ashford — background vocals
    Annette Beard — background vocals
    "Jockey Jack" Gibson — background vocals
    The Temptations — background vocals
    The Marvelettes — background vocals
    The Funk Brothers — other instrumentation
    Brian Holland — producer
    Lamont Dozier — producer

  3. #3
    Ooops you missed one other....Diana Ross lol

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    Ooops you missed one other....Diana Ross lol
    Is she on there? I never heard that she was.

  5. #5
    You can hear her vocals above everyone elses without a doubt

  6. #6
    So does this song qualify as having the most Motown artists on a single track?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    So does this song qualify as having the most Motown artists on a single track?
    That is a good question.

  8. #8
    I dont know but theres also Mary Wells "You Lost The Sweetest Boy" that has a number of other Motown artists backing her .

  9. #9
    Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On?" album, as well as Stevie's "Songs In the Key of Life" have a number of Motown artists on them.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    I dont know but theres also Mary Wells "You Lost The Sweetest Boy" that has a number of other Motown artists backing her .
    Supremes and Temptations!

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    You can hear her vocals above everyone elses without a doubt
    Nah, that's Rosalind Ashford. If Diane had been there, Smokey would have mentioned it after all these years.

  12. #12
    And the name "Mickey" was supposedly in deference to Motown A&R Director William "Mickey" Stevenson...

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    And the name "Mickey" was supposedly in deference to Motown A&R Director William "Mickey" Stevenson...
    I think I heard that a long time ago. Thanks StuBass.

  14. #14
    I first heard this in '71 (I was 11) when I got the 5 LP Blue LP Motown Story box....loved it ever since....don't Martha's "Dance Party" LP version use the same musical backing track for both MM and Hitch Hike? my fav song from that LP is Dancing Slow

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    ....don't Martha's "Dance Party" LP version use the same musical backing track for both MM and Hitch Hike? my fav song from that LP is Dancing Slow
    Yes, gman, the backing tracks are the same.

  16. #16
    The Supremes are clearly singing on this wonderful piece of UK Motown heritage:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2GBs-vJOlQ

    I so love this video.
    Last edited by rovereab; 08-23-2019 at 05:09 AM.

  17. #17
    Don't think this has yet been officially released on DVD?

    Were you there, rovereab?
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 08-23-2019 at 03:57 PM.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    Don't think this has yet been officially released on CD?

    Were you there, rovereab?
    I'd like to say that I was too young to be there but that's not true!

    I didn't see the original broadcast of this Ready, Steady, Go special, but found it many years later. I just love seeing all of the groups looking so young and enjoying themselves.

    So many major artists on one stage!

  19. #19
    I saw the original broadcast on TV, which remains one of those 'defining moments' for me.

    I wasn't in the audience, but am sure some of our fellow members were present.

    Hopefully, they will post their personal memories of that day, for the rest of us to enjoy.

  20. #20
    "Mickeys Monkey" is one of the all-time greatest records. I loved the Miracles LIVE act to this...a great stage performance esp. when Claudette was still performing.

  21. #21
    Never saw this before...great performance!

    Did the monkey dance take off in the uk??

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    I'd like to say that I was too young to be there but that's not true!

    I didn't see the original broadcast of this Ready, Steady, Go special, but found it many years later. I just love seeing all of the groups looking so young and enjoying themselves.

    So many major artists on one stage!
    Since I'm from the USA, I didn't know about the Ready Steady Go-Motown Special until it was released [on VHS] back in 1985. Yes indeed; there's so many great artists on the stage for the "Mickey's Monkey" finale. And this is another piece of Motown History that Needs to be reissued on DVD/Blu-Ray.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Since I'm from the USA, I didn't know about the Ready Steady Go-Motown Special until it was released [on VHS] back in 1985. Yes indeed; there's so many great artists on the stage for the "Mickey's Monkey" finale. And this is another piece of Motown History that Needs to be reissued on DVD/Blu-Ray.
    Those that participated in the performance of the song on that program, were not particularly in the studio on the day it was recorded. Some were however.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Those that participated in the performance of the song on that program, were not particularly in the studio on the day it was recorded. Some were however.
    I was in the studio and I'm pretty sure all the people in the finale were there when it was recorded, although I don't remember Stevie Wonder being there.

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I was in the studio and I'm pretty sure all the people in the finale were there when it was recorded, although I don't remember Stevie Wonder being there.
    You were at Hitsville that day in 1963 when they recorded "
    Mickey's Monkey" almost impromptu? Wow!

  26. #26
    No, I wish. I was in the London studio when they recorded the finale for the Ready, Steady Go Motown Special.

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    No, I wish. I was in the London studio when they recorded the finale for the Ready, Steady Go Motown Special.
    Oh! I misunderstood you. Still, that is great that you were at the taping of the program. I've had that show on VHS for more than 30 years now. Those kids in the stands were great.

  28. #28
    I have it on VHS as well. I've looked and looked, but never managed to see myself.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.