[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson - "One Night With You" 1988 vs. 2006!

I first heard Mary sing this song live in 1991 at a benefit concert for the American Cancer Society at Wayne State University in Detroit. At the time she mentioned that it was to be released on "Capricorn Records" hmmm...

Yikes. Should have been on “Nightmare Records”!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I first heard Mary sing this song live in 1991 at a benefit concert for the American Cancer Society at Wayne State University in Detroit. At the time she mentioned that it was to be released on "Capricorn Records" hmmm...
    That performance on Lou Rawls Parade of Stars was horrible. She was doing too much with only a recording backing her. However, that 2006 performance...she killed that. I think that performance just became one of my all time favorite Mary live vocals. She needed a band on the Parade of Stars. Mary doesn't have a voice that floats over the melody of most backing tracks, definitely not a power ballad one. She has a tough voice that needs a bad band behind her, as she apparently had in the 2006 video. She sang the hell out of that song in 2006, which is also a testament to Mary growing vocally as she ages, as opposed to most other singers who typically hit a decline. Now I have to look for the full 2006 performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    That performance on Lou Rawls Parade of Stars was horrible. She was doing too much with only a recording backing her. However, that 2006 performance...she killed that. I think that performance just became one of my all time favorite Mary live vocals. She needed a band on the Parade of Stars. Mary doesn't have a voice that floats over the melody of most backing tracks, definitely not a power ballad one. She has a tough voice that needs a bad band behind her, as she apparently had in the 2006 video. She sang the hell out of that song in 2006, which is also a testament to Mary growing vocally as she ages, as opposed to most other singers who typically hit a decline. Now I have to look for the full 2006 performance.
    I have seen her stand center stage, hit a note and take the mic away from her mouth, hold it high above her head then stretched out to her side. You could still hear her clear as a bell in the back of a crowded theater!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I have seen her stand center stage, hit a note and take the mic away from her mouth, hold it high above her head then stretched out to her side. You could still hear her clear as a bell in the back of a crowded theater!
    She really has learned how to master her gift. I hate in interviews how she sometimes downplays her talent. She has real chops.

She really has learned how to master her gift. I hate in interviews how she sometimes downplays her talent. She has real chops.
    She does do that and it gets on my nerves. I've seen and heard her sing too many times to accept that kind of self evaluation. She can go from her" light, sexy whispery" voice, to her "climb every mountain, because I'm going to blow you out of the room" voice in 2 seconds flat! LOL!

I heard her say in an interview that she was more of a performer than a singer. Grrrrrr. The first time I saw Mary solo was in the mid 80's in Lake Tahoe or Reno. People we were basically saying I didn't know she could sing like that. I was stunned as she ripped through Love Child very Tina Turner ish. I wish she had the right mentor/manager/producer from day one to keep her self confidence up. She is clearly a talented singer.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    I heard her say in an interview that she was more of a performer than a singer. Grrrrrr. The first time I saw Mary solo was in the mid 80's in Lake Tahoe or Reno. People we were basically saying I didn't know she could sing like that. I was stunned as she ripped through Love Child very Tina Turner ish. I wish she had the right mentor/manager/producer from day one to keep her self confidence up. She is clearly a talented singer.
    In 2003 at Seaside in Brighton Beach Brooklyn, my best friend and his girlfriend were waiting for Mary's concert to start. My buddy said " I heard she can't sing". I said "man you heard a lie!". Before the show was over they were dancing and he said, "my bad, she can really get down!" LOL! I think people can hear a rumor and then run with it,but once they see the truth, they are smart enough to change their baseless opinions.