[REMOVE ADS]

Smile Patti LaBelle joins cast of "Fela"

R&B star Patti LaBelle joins Fela cast

Soul and R&B icon Patti LaBelle is heading back to Broadway to join the critically acclaimed musical Fela.

The 66-year-old Grammy-winner will appear in the biographical musical about Fela Kuti, the Afrobeat performer and Nigerian political activist.

From Sept. 14 through the show's close on Jan. 2, LaBelle will portray Funmilayo Anikulapo-Kuti, the musician and composer's mother.

She takes over from actress Lillias White, a past Tony-winner nominated again earlier this year for her performance in Fela.

"After seeing the show, I was struck by the choreography and work of [director-choreographer] Bill T. Jones, and the passion and joy that overflows from the stage," LaBelle said in a statement.

"Fela's mother, Funmilayo, was a strong, truly inspiring woman, and I am so privileged to be able to pay tribute to her on the Broadway stage."

Fela, which earned a trio of Tony Awards in June, will also begin a limited U.K. run at London's National Theatre Nov. 6.

A U.S. national tour is also tentatively in the works for 2011.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/arts/theatre/story...#ixzz0wZBkGFu9

I've only seen the highlights from their website but the show seems fabulous and I would love to see it in person.
    From what I've seen Fela's mother in the show is actually a ghost....during a raid at their compound by government officials she was thrown out of a window, suffered severe injuries and eventually died as a result. Her spirit or presence comes back to guide and advise her son through the rest of his life. I can easily see Ms Thang in that role.

Well, Im going to go see it now...