[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes represented in popular media

always love it when tv shows or movies make reference to the Supremes. Sometimes a tv show or movie will make a joke with mentioning the group. or characters will dress up and mimic the girls.

Designing Women - one of the most obvious. the ladies played the Supremes in a talent show

Good Times - ditto. did Stop in a talent show to help raise money for a neighbor's rent

Friends - when the gang when to Barbados, Monica's hair grew HUGE with the humidity. In a scene, she ran up to Rachel and Phoebe and said "i have something to tell you!!" and Phoebe replies "are you leaving the Supremes?' lol

Day By Day - this is a more obscure 80s sit com revolving around a family running a daycare. In a scene, the dad teaches the kids in nursery school Stop and does the hand gestures

Did Will & Grace ever do a gag or reference to the Supremes? i know cher was all over that sitcom

others?

The Golden Girls had many references to Motown Groups. Their Supremes reference was Sophia saying, "Did the Supremes get back together?" but I can't remember the set-up!

Also Stiller & Meara did a comedy routine on Ed Sullivan, near the end of 1969, in which Anne Meara was asked by a reporter [[Jerry Stiller), "What do you hope for in the new year?" She responded, "I hope the other two Supremes find work!"

And, of course, a huge tribute came in the 1970's in the musical Hair. While singing White Boys, three woman dressed in sequins separated from each other only to be found in the same dress!

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    The Golden Girls had many references to Motown Groups. Their Supremes reference was Sophia saying, "Did the Supremes get back together?" but I can't remember the set-up!
    The girls hired a housekeeper to help with cleaning the house, but they realize she isn't doing anything so they fired her. However all this bad luck occurs to them leading the girls to believe she put a curse on them. In an attempt to get the curse reversed, they hire her back and butter her up with champagne, a tiara, and roses. When Sophia returns home from a trip, she asks "So what are we celebrating? Did the Supremes get back together?"

Sister Act I and II made many references to Motown groups. One particular scene involves the ladies sitting in the kitchen eating ice cream and Whoopi's character says "Girls, I'm not leaving. We'll always be together." And Mary Wickes' character responds "That's what Diana Ross said."

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    The girls hired a housekeeper to help with cleaning the house, but they realize she isn't doing anything so they fired her. However all this bad luck occurs to them leading the girls to believe she put a curse on them. In an attempt to get the curse reversed, they hire her back and butter her up with champagne, a tiara, and roses. When Sophia returns home from a trip, she asks "So what are we celebrating? Did the Supremes get back together?"

Sister Act I and II made many references to Motown groups. One particular scene involves the ladies sitting in the kitchen eating ice cream and Whoopi's character says "Girls, I'm not leaving. We'll always be together." And Mary Wickes' character responds "That's what Diana Ross said."
    The only Will and Grace reference I remember is one of Jack’s entrances singing Touch Me In The Morning...

One of my favorites was Facts Of Life and the Diana Ross clothes hanger Natalie purchased, stating, “It used to have backup hangers, now she hangs alone.”

hahaha! i hadn't heard the Facts of Life one. and while a huge GG fan, i completely missed that one.

what about Cosby Show? wonder if they ever did any. I know Living Single did Up the Ladder during a dream sequence.

in the Kevin Costner, Elijah Woods movie "The War" the girls are big on the supremes and do a great choreography to Someday

any Seinfeld ones?

Seinfeld had one where George was going on vacation and packed like 10 suitcases to which Jerry says, "We're going away for 3 days! Who are you? Diana Ross?!". Roseanne had a reference to Florence Ballard dying on welfare in one of the early episodes when she worked in a factory.

The novelist Edward Kelsey Moore has 2 beloved novels, 'The Supremes at Earl's All You Can Eat' and 'The Supremes Sing the Happy Heartache Blues', about 3 Black high school friends in their adulthood.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    bradsupremes, it appears this episode is being shown on Logo in the US tonight! The guest star is Paula Kelly!

I remember watching Different Strokes when i was a kid and there was a few times Diana Ross was mentioned...one being when Arnold made reference to a Diana Ross ice pop or something like that...it was a long time ago lol.