[REMOVE ADS]

Stoned Love backing vocals

There has been a lot of debate on this forum about who is or who is not singing the backing vocals on various DRATS recordings, but has it been established who the backing singers are on Stoned Love. To my ears, it sounds like there are more singers than just Mary and Cindy, particularly on the 'tell it like it is' lines.

This was just discussed on the DRATS board and this thread belongs over there
    Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    There has been a lot of debate on this forum about who is or who is not singing the backing vocals on various DRATS recordings, but has it been established who the backing singers are on Stoned Love. To my ears, it sounds like there are more singers than just Mary and Cindy, particularly on the 'tell it like it is' lines.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    There is no debate and this should be in the DRATS sub-forum.

Mary and Cindy are there, but with additional help, but I don't believe it's the Andantes. Possibly the Blackberries or Brenda Joyce Evans and Billie Rae Calvin of the Undisputed Truth who were doing background vocal work for Motown at the time [[ex. Four Tops' "Still Water Love").

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Mary and Cindy are there, but with additional help, but I don't believe it's the Andantes. Possibly the Blackberries or Brenda Joyce Evans and Billie Rae Calvin of the Undisputed Truth who were doing background vocal work for Motown at the time [[ex. Four Tops' "Still Water Love").
    It is Mary, Jean and Cindy in the background. They recorded them in New York City.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It is Mary, Jean and Cindy in the background. They recorded them in New York City.
    According to the track annotations for "Stoned Love"...

Track was cut - March 10, 1970
    Background vocals recorded at Golden World - April 2, 1970
    Horns and strings added at Golden World - April 27, 1970
    Additional instrumentation added - June 8, 1970
    Completed in Washington DC - studio information & recording dates unknown

I don't have an itinerary near me, but it'd be interesting to see where the girls were on April 2, 1970 [[if they were on the road or at home) and when they were performing in Washington DC. There's no denying Jean, Mary & Cindy are on this, but we have to keep our minds open to the possibility there are more voices there. The same applies to "Up To The Ladder To The Roof" and most Jean-era recordings. Motown and producers didn't stop using additional voices once Jean replaced Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    According to the track annotations for "Stoned Love"...

Track was cut - March 10, 1970
    Background vocals recorded at Golden World - April 2, 1970
    Horns and strings added at Golden World - April 27, 1970
    Additional instrumentation added - June 8, 1970
    Completed in Washington DC - studio information & recording dates unknown

I don't have an itinerary near me, but it'd be interesting to see where the girls were on April 2, 1970 [[if they were on the road or at home) and when they were performing in Washington DC. There's no denying Jean, Mary & Cindy are on this, but we have to keep our minds open to the possibility there are more voices there. The same applies to "Up To The Ladder To The Roof" and most Jean-era recordings. Motown and producers didn't stop using additional voices once Jean replaced Diana.
    I don't hear any other "voices".

I don't hear any other "voices".
    Listen to it a little closer. They're there.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 08-19-2019 at 01:39 PM.

Louvain Demps, when interviewed by John Perrone on 'Nightflight', said that their [[the Andantes) voices were added to the background vocals of "Up the Ladder To the Roof".

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    Louvain Demps, when interviewed by John Perrone on 'Nightflight', said that their [[the Andantes) voices were added to the background vocals of "Up the Ladder To the Roof".
    Does John still do his show from Provincetown. Please tell him Roberta from Panorama City California sends him her regards and good wishes. Thank you in advance dear.

I don’t think they’re on “Stoned Love”, but Billie Rae & Brenda from the Undisputed Truth did provide additional background vocals on The New Ways.. album. Especially on “Bridge over Troubled Water”, my favorite cut from the LP.

There is no debate and this should be in the DRATS sub-forum.
    This is a 70's Supremes topic, I thought the sub-forum is for DRATS topics only.

Its for Diana Ross/Supremes topics..it does say that quite clearly.