[REMOVE ADS]

Martha and The Vandellas - No One There

I always liked this song. Thanks Midnightman.

Wasn't this considered a Martha solo in England?

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    It was released there as a single under her name only.
    Last edited by reese; 08-18-2019 at 09:37 AM.

I've always quite liked this one, but listening to it again, I realise now that I absolutely bloody love it!! What a wonderful song!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 08-20-2019 at 01:22 PM.

"No One There" is one of Martha's AND Motown's prettiest. Love it!

Last year, when Martha [[and the Vandellas) were in the UK, she sang this - the first time I've ever heard her perform this [[it's always, always been my favourite all of their records).

Her performance / vocal were astounding, and so beautiful. She sang with minimal music - which made the song come across even more amazing. Some friends of mine who were with me - who only knew the UK big hits - thought that this song was the highlight of the evening. To me, that shows how incredible this song and Martha's ability to sing it really are.

Martha is one of the most rare performers I've ever encountered. She truly cares about her audience - and takes a lot of time after performing to meet and talk with everyone who goes to speak with her. There's no rushing, no "next" attitude - just lovely.

Yes, a perfect record from MR&TV, and a great opener to Black Magic, often discussed here and an all-time favorite of mine. NOT is for me a great example of how a group/singer can grow into more 'sophisticated' material without losing 1 degree of their original talents. The arrangement is perfect, too, and I often wonder who at Motown handled the vocal arrangements. This one is perfect.

I think on both "No One There" and "Benjamin," Martha just does a beautiful job of conveying the message in both songs. Both of these songs to me are almost like show tunes or movie themes, in that they really tell a story.

The imagery in "No One There," "the table set for one," "is that you at the door," and so on, really give the lyrics meaning.

In "Benjamin," too, she tells the story of the guy who uses her as a sounding board or shoulder to cry on about his heartache, but never suspects that his confidante loves him.

Both are just beautifully rendered.

I've read that many of the songs on "Black Magic" were originally intended for Diana Ross. As much as I love her way with a song, I can't imagine anyone doing these two better than Martha Reeves.
    Last edited by kenneth; 08-22-2019 at 02:59 PM.

I guess it is either ironic or poetic, however you choose to look at it, that they went out in style with what is probably their best overall album. [[Before anybody fusses, there were other great ones and the race would be close!!!)

I guess it is either ironic or poetic, however you choose to look at it, that they went out in style with what is probably their best overall album. [[Before anybody fusses, there were other great ones and the race would be close!!!)
    I absolutely agree with "Natural Resources" a close second. As much as I love the earlier period from '64-'66 when the hits kept coming, to me Motown really came into its own album-wise with their circa 1970 releases. They really showed they could produce cohesive albums, not just albums containing singles and filler.

GQ Magazine predicted that "Black Magic" [[though I think they referred to the album as "Black Lace") would cause nobody ever again to consider the Vandellas a Motown second-tier group. It really is too bad it was their last effort.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I absolutely agree with "Natural Resources" a close second. As much as I love the earlier period from '64-'66 when the hits kept coming, to me Motown really came into its own album-wise with their circa 1970 releases. They really showed they could produce cohesive albums, not just albums containing singles and filler.

GQ Magazine predicted that "Black Magic" [[though I think they referred to the album as "Black Lace") would cause nobody ever again to consider the Vandellas a Motown second-tier group. It really is too bad it was their last effort.
    The real sad part is that it didn't have to be. As we all know Martha and the Vandellas are still singing and performing 49 years after this album's release date. Motown was very short sighted in many regards. They created stars and then set them adrift!

Quote Originally Posted by gordy_hunk View Post
    Last year, when Martha [[and the Vandellas) were in the UK, she sang this.
    Gordy_hunk, I was at the same show. It was the highlight for me. With the ladies all beautifully harmonising on the repeat line 'no-one there'. I was mesmerized with their performance of the song.

Yes, it is indeed a highlight of Martha's show, at least here in the UK.

I am unsure if the song is included in the US shows? If not, maybe she, Lois and Delphine would perform it, even a cappella, if requested?

I remember Martha singing 'No One There' on the 'Dancing In The Streets' UK tour in 2004, when she had four female vocalists with her. They made a wonderful job of the swirling harmonies heard on the record.

My eldest nephew, only about 20 at the time, was sat next to me, and was stunned. He lived alone at the time, and the sentiments really resonated with him. He remembers the performance to this very day.

Another great song by Johnny Bristol [[co-written), and produced by him. Arranged by H.B.Barnum.

Here's a live version of NO ONE THERE. https://youtu.be/6-h3bZKzglU

The audience giggling and talking through the song was a little distracting at times.