[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Those DJ Shows

Those DJ Shows

Here's another from the early days that I think was a missed opportunity. It should've followed up "Buttered Popcorn". For whatever reason Barbara isn't there and I think it's glaringly obvious that the Supremes needed to be a trio. Flo and Mary had more chemistry with just the two of them than they did with Barbara in the mix. Anyway, Diana's lead is strong, if a bit piercing in parts. But she shows her chops on this one. Anyone else a fan of this early trio sound?

From the first time I first heard it on the 25TH ANNIVERSARY album, I really liked this one. I think it is one of Diana's best youthful vocals before her voice started to mature with YOUR HEART BELONGS TO ME, TIME CHANGES THINGS, etc.

Whenever I play THOSE DJ SHOWS, aside from how good it is, I can't help but think of how Diana's voice transformed through the years and how she sounded just 10 years later on SURRENDER. It's almost like listening to a different vocalist.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Here's another from the early days that I think was a missed opportunity. It should've followed up "Buttered Popcorn". For whatever reason Barbara isn't there and I think it's glaringly obvious that the Supremes needed to be a trio. Flo and Mary had more chemistry with just the two of them than they did with Barbara in the mix. Anyway, Diana's lead is strong, if a bit piercing in parts. But she shows her chops on this one. Anyone else a fan of this early trio sound?

Always liked this tune. I think it remained unreleased until the 25th anniversary album. Like Reese said this was my introduction to the song and i immediately liked it. Not sure why it was canned. It is far better than much of the stuff that was released.

One of my favorites from the early days.

I was ready to dislike this treatment of the song, but it's given a new spin.

I'm gonna pat myself on the back about this one: upon hearing THOSE DJ SHOWS for the first time here , I thought , "That sounds quite a bit like SHOP AROUND." So I did some snooping , and sure enough , same author!!

my momma told me .....

Added : but maybe for the more experienced Motown ears here , that was plenty obvious! lol!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-15-2019 at 11:51 PM.

One of the best early songs; don’t care for the version above though

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    From the first time I first heard it on the 25TH ANNIVERSARY album, I really liked this one. I think it is one of Diana's best youthful vocals before her voice started to mature with YOUR HEART BELONGS TO ME, TIME CHANGES THINGS, etc.

Whenever I play THOSE DJ SHOWS, aside from how good it is, I can't help but think of how Diana's voice transformed through the years and how she sounded just 10 years later on SURRENDER. It's almost like listening to a different vocalist.
    Good singers get better as time goes by if they are truly perfecting their craft. All the attention Diana was getting, especially after the Supremes hit big, it gave her the opportunity to use her gift and develop it. While I think background singing is an art that is marginalized way too often [[especially in this sub forum), I do think it stunts lead singing capabilities if not allowed to stretch beyond harmonies. Look at Mary's growth as a vocalist from the 60s to the 70s when she went from occasional leads to something of a co-leader. Being able to develop one's voice is an underappreciated opportunity, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    I was ready to dislike this treatment of the song, but it's given a new spin.
    Nope. 27 seconds in and I couldn't take any more. I would've cut if off earlier than that but I was curious how they would handle the chorus. That singing behind the beat throws me off.

This song seems to fit with The Marvelettes' image, not The Supremes' image. It was made for a teenager who would be forever a teenager and nothing more. It was made for a group destined to split up within a few years. Even at this point, I think Berry Gordy and Diana Ross believed that she would be around for quite some time, and they were wise in not releasing this one.

Although the latter group did record Mother Dear and You Can't Hurry Love [["mama said") among other songs tailored for a teenage narrator, most of their songs were age adaptable, so Diana or Mary could sing them will into their 60s or 70s with a straight face. But if this song had been released as a single -- and if it had been a hit -- it's difficult to imagine them singing it through, even, their 20s, let alone their later years.

The Jackson Five looked foolish singing some of their early hits just three or four years after they were released, as the lyrics were no longer even slightly age-appropriate, and, of course, Michael was no longer able to reach the notes.

i always found this song to be pretty useless. Sure from a fan perspective i've been eager to get all of the vaulted material. And if you're comparing it to something truly ghastly like I Want A Guy, then sure. it shines a bit

but for the most part, i didn't feel that this was a lost gem that should have found it's way onto Meet The Supremes

In some [[very) old interviews Mary would tell about a teasing interaction with Florence after a recording session when they joked that they expected to be singing even "when I get so old, till I have to walk around with a cane".

"Those DJ Shows" was first released on a vinyl edition of "25th Anniversary" in 1986 - it's hard to believe that was some 33 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by benross View Post
    This song seems to fit with The Marvelettes' image, not The Supremes' image. It was made for a teenager who would be forever a teenager and nothing more. It was made for a group destined to split up within a few years. Even at this point, I think Berry Gordy and Diana Ross believed that she would be around for quite some time, and they were wise in not releasing this one.

Although the latter group did record Mother Dear and You Can't Hurry Love [["mama said") among other songs tailored for a teenage narrator, most of their songs were age adaptable, so Diana or Mary could sing them will into their 60s or 70s with a straight face. But if this song had been released as a single -- and if it had been a hit -- it's difficult to imagine them singing it through, even, their 20s, let alone their later years.

The Jackson Five looked foolish singing some of their early hits just three or four years after they were released, as the lyrics were no longer even slightly age-appropriate, and, of course, Michael was no longer able to reach the notes.
    Yeah, just like "Buttered Popcorn". But of course you're looking at the Supremes with the benefit of hindsight. "Buttered Popcorn" and "Those DJ Shows" were produced with the knowledge being that the Supremes were a talented teen female group, and these were the kinds of songs teen girls sang about. I don't think even Berry Gordy saw them at the Copa or on television everyday or at Lincoln Center. The group's vocal ability is apparent, but I don't think the Supremes ever approached anything that suggested they'd someday become THE SUPREMES until after Barbara left and they were able to get their hands on better material that they could sink their teeth into. But to my ears, "Popcorn" and "DJ Shows" contained the elements for higher charting action, if not outright hit, that was perfectly in line with the average teen female group or teen single artist of 1961. And with Barbara the Supremes were definitely the average.