[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Angelo Bond was one of the writers/producers for Invictus / Hot Wax, so it's safe to assume that the Holland brothers were involved in some way...

Like Mary, don't like the new song. A waste of time releasing a single these days unless you are one of the 'in crowd'. No chance of it being a hit. None or little airplay. 99% of today's kids have never heard of her and why should they have. Loved her singing 'Nathan Jones'.

Quote Originally Posted by motown01 View Post
    Angelo Bond was one of the writers/producers for Invictus / Hot Wax, so it's safe to assume that the Holland brothers were involved in some way...
    Angelo had a very popular hit back in the 70's with "Reach for The Moon" from his album "Bondage":

Copley, this song "Life's Been Good to Me" is not for the kids. They are not marketing this recording to kids. I don't think Mary will be going on "106 & Park".

If they should buy it , it will be because they like it and then perhaps learn who Mary Wilson of the Supremes is. I don't know many of the artists under the age of 30 today, because they are not what I listen to. The "youth market" i.e. 16-25 yr olds is substantially smaller than it was when I was in the age brackett. When the Baby Boom came through , you had everything from tooth paste to automobiles marketed to that target market. No so today.......with the youth.

By the way, I heard the entire song and it fits the Urban Contempary format perfectly.

Actually it fits urban, MOR, and pop!! Smart!

Composer listed solely as Paul Hill on the ITunes download. No listing given of the producer.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Does anyone know [[1) who wrote and [[2) who produced this track? What is the "record label?" Thanks!
    The label is "Motor City Works".

Just found a site where Mary talks about the new album!

The following is an extract:
    Mary brightened when I asked about her new biographical CD, “Clarity,” on which she collaborated with Brian and Eddie Holland, Angelo Bonv, Casandra Jordon and Paul Hill, which is scheduled for release on the H-D-H label in mid-August.

“Well, its taken producer Richard Davis over three years to produce it on his Motor City Works Company,” she said. “One of the reasons it took so long was my reticence to give up my private journals, which I’ve been writing every day since 1960. Eventually, Eddie and Brian Holland persuaded me. It was the only way we could compose the songs. We recorded much of the CD in our spiritual home of Detroit and mixed it in L.A. studios”
    I asked Mary for a preview for the songs for our readers.

“Johnny Mae”
    “My mom’s name; It’s about the hardships of growing up in the Mississippi Delta and breaking free to find a better life, moving to St. Louis and Chicago, then Detroit.”

“Home Girls”
    It’s about the friendship we had in the group. I pray every day for a miracle that someday Diane and I will be together again.”

“Why Can’t We Get Along”
    “The beginning of the breakup and Diane hogging the limelight, always stage front while Florence, and then Cindy and myself, were relegated to the back, just harmonizing. Diane would watch the TV monitor above her head so she could see our positions then move in place for the finale to throw her hands and arms up, deliberately covering our faces.”
    Other titles include “Life’s Been Good To Me”, “Quest” and “The Need To Know.”

Love the contemporary sound of her new song. I wasn't expecting that. But this interview is dissappointing to say the least. Mary- You haven't sung with Diana Ross for 40 years. Get over it.

Yeah the interview was a tad bit shallow but, I welcome anything new from any ex-Supreme when it comes to music.

It's disappointing and I know what you mean. That song should have been titled "Why Can't I Move On". Maybe by August smart minds will prevail and her cd will be axed of any supremes journals about her supreme days. she need to listen to her fans again.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew P. Nads View Post

Mary brightened when I asked about her new biographical CD, “Clarity,” on which she collaborated with Brian and Eddie Holland, Angelo Bonv, Casandra Jordon and Paul Hill, which is scheduled for release on the H-D-H label in mid-August.

“Well, its taken producer Richard Davis over three years to produce it on his Motor City Works Company,” she said. “One of the reasons it took so long was my reticence to give up my private journals, which I’ve been writing every day since 1960. Eventually, Eddie and Brian Holland persuaded me. It was the only way we could compose the songs. We recorded much of the CD in our spiritual home of Detroit and mixed it in L.A. studios”
    I asked Mary for a preview for the songs for our readers.

“Johnny Mae”
    “My mom’s name; It’s about the hardships of growing up in the Mississippi Delta and breaking free to find a better life, moving to St. Louis and Chicago, then Detroit.”

“Home Girls”
    It’s about the friendship we had in the group. I pray every day for a miracle that someday Diane and I will be together again.”

“Why Can’t We Get Along”
    “The beginning of the breakup and Diane hogging the limelight, always stage front while Florence, and then Cindy and myself, were relegated to the back, just harmonizing. Diane would watch the TV monitor above her head so she could see our positions then move in place for the finale to throw her hands and arms up, deliberately covering our faces.”
    Other titles include “Life’s Been Good To Me”, “Quest” and “The Need To Know.”
    It's very exciting that Mary Wilson has a new product out for her fans but a tad sad that she's still praying hoping that she and Diana will be together again.

That said, I wish Mary well and will support her by purchasing her new CD.

yes it is sad that in 2011 she still feels a need to tell people she must be something because she once sang with diana ross. At least she has some new product to sell at her shows. Her books are about 25 years old.

Thanks you DREW P.NADS,for posting this info,on MARY WILSON'S new album CLARITY,i can't wait to get it,i love the single,it's music of today.
    Please stay positive

Here is the edit version of Mary's latest single......." Life's Been Good to Me".

It is current sounding, that's for sure. I hate current sounding stuff.... but I wish her luck with it. "Walk the Line" was quite current for it's time as well, and if they had decent distribution, it might have done something, espcially considering her debuting it on Aresenio Hall. I called musicland the next morning asking for her CD... they didn't have it, the clerk told me, "Your'e the third person that's called about this today!" And I called them at 10:30 AM. I really liked Walk The Line, though.

I like the new single from Mary Wilson. She will be in San Francisco at the end of the month playing at Yoshi's.

Quote Originally Posted by blkfrost View Post
    I like the new single from Mary Wilson. She will be in San Francisco at the end of the month playing at Yoshi's.
    I like it a lot too. It is sure to get played here in New York City! Maybe Mary will sing it when she is out your way. That would be so nice.

I like it.....sort of. Seems the back up singers sing more than she does on it? I will buy the CD and support Mary, for sure. I wish her all the best of luck with this project.

Very cool-love it! Current but not pandering.

I like it. Does anyone know if Mary gets any songwriting credits?

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    I like it. Does anyone know if Mary gets any songwriting credits?
    Wow, Skooldem, that is an excellent question because they did use Mary's diaries as the basis for most of the songs.

Try this link folks ..

MARY WILSON : "Lifes Been Good To Me" ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmvElVGQK0A

For what its worth I enjoy listening to it ..

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Try this link folks ..MARY WILSON : "Lifes Been Good To Me" ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmvElVGQK0A For what its worth I enjoy listening to it ..Roger
    Thank you for the link Roger. It's a pleasant enough song but I wouldn't call it hit material. It would be nice if we could hear more of Mary on the song. However, I will purchase the single and CD to support Miss Wilson.

Anyone have any idea when the entire CD will be released in the US?

Thank you again.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Drew P. Nads View Post

“Well, its taken producer Richard Davis over three years to produce it on his Motor City Works Company,” she said. “One of the reasons it took so long was my reticence to give up my private journals, which I've been writing every day since 1960. Eventually, Eddie and Brian Holland persuaded me......
    I'm not being critical, just curious. Mary says that she did not want to give up her private journals to the Holland Brothers. But, didn't she give up the privacy in them when she wrote her books based on those diaries?

I think there is a difference between ones feelings and thoughts, and a historical record.

Speaking of historical, I was thinking about this now historic television special today with all of it's
    memorable moments, music etc. It's hard to believe that it was taped 28 years
    ago this month! [[It was taped in March 1983 and aired on NBC in May, 1983.)

Another thing that came to mind is that of all those wonderful, talented, great
    artists that appeared that night, only Mary Wilson and El DeBarge have current
    recordings. You could possibly add in Smokey Robinson, although his CD has been
    out for several months now. I just find that fact amazing!

Wow that is something! Cheers to Mary and El. [[I assume Stevie is still signed to Motown-is that correct?)

Mary Wilson: Life's Been Good To Me

Wow, I like this song. Very current and it has a smooth soulful sound to it. The background singers are great on this. Mary sounds smooth and not pushing to hit notes above her range. If she can get some play on the contemporary stations this will do well for her. I can't wait to get the cd when it is released.

Wishing Mary the very best!! It would be so nice to see the new song take off for her.

I have played this over a few days now and it's grown on me.

I have a cd from a guy named Paul Hill from about 10 years ago. He was pushing it via a well known English shop geared for the gays. I wonder if it's the same guy.

I like the song but I say less background girls and more Mary Wilson! I like U better but this is fine.
    Steph

This is an interesting new video for Mary's new single by Timcat Productions. Check it out:

i like the song well enough, but it's hardly what i would call a Mary Wilson single. it's all background voices up front with a few spoken parts by Mary. and to bring up in a song that life hasn't been all sunshine for Mary only emphasizes her larger story of being in the shadow of Diana Ross. A ballad about life's great romances would have served her better.

Quote Originally Posted by chestersong View Post
    i like the song well enough, but it's hardly what i would call a Mary Wilson single. it's all background voices up front with a few spoken parts by Mary. and to bring up in a song that life hasn't been all sunshine for Mary only emphasizes her larger story of being in the shadow of Diana Ross. A ballad about life's great romances would have served her better.
    I think it is a great song and I like it. In fact, I like it More Today, Than Yesterday! hehehehehehe.........
    Last edited by marv2; 04-07-2011 at 11:41 PM.

It's aight but the background vocals were too much. It overshadowed Mary.

Mary is singing the background too with the other singers.

Thanks for posting the Tribute link! It is a great song.

She still looks very good. My father saw her, Diana and Flo perform twice as a teenager.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Mary is singing the background too with the other singers.
    Isn't that what she spent forty years trying to get away from? I like the song too, but wish that Mary's voice were more up front and and less blended with the other singers.

I hear you Milvern but look what happened to Cher and her "I Believe"! It seems to be the fashion these days.

I guess the only way to get to hear her vocal out front is to see her in concert.