[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes - Floy Joy ReWork By DJ Nilsson

He's given it that extra "Snap, Crackle and Pop!" LOL!

^
    Agree....................Very nice indeed.

Great remix.
    It's such a shame that the stupid title and those hokey lyrics spoiled an otherwise wonderful song. Especially annoying because it was written by Smokey, who was a consummate lyricist. What was he thinking?

He also re-worked this one, although I prefer the originl version.

Arguably their best B-side. I found the 45 before it got any airplay and couldn't figure out which was the A-side.

I like the extended intro, but I do feel the sound is a bit too sharp. Still, it's a good remix, all things considered.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Great remix.
    It's such a shame that the stupid title and those hokey lyrics spoiled an otherwise wonderful song. Especially annoying because it was written by Smokey, who was a consummate lyricist. What was he thinking?
    Well it is the most popular ever written about a Pimp/Player that I know of LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post

I'm not a fan of the song but this is a good remix.

Great remix.
    The song really is beneath Smokey's talent as a lyricist. Not sure what he was thinking but he lucked up with this one anyhow since it did give him another big hit on his resume.

Well it is the most popular ever written about a Pimp/Player that I know of LOL!!!
    I think that goes to Superfly.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I think that goes to Superfly.
    I should have said "from the woman's" point of view LOL!!! Besides, "Superfly" was about a Drug Pusher. "I'm Your Pusher Man........".

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    He also re-worked this one, although I prefer the originl version.
    I always thought this could have been an A side. Great song. Not sure i care too much for this remix, but it is never less than interesting.

Arguably their best B-side. I found the 45 before it got any airplay and couldn't figure out which was the A-side.
    The owner at my local Mom & Pop record store had the same problem.

I saw Love Is Here/There's No Stopping Us reviewed in Billboard magazine as a potential double-sided hit before I ever heard either song on the radio. I immediately went to my local Mom & Pop record store to get the single. I asked for Love Is Here and he said he had There's No Stopping Us Now! When he reached for the 45 I saw he had labeled the shelf with TNSUN rather than LIH! I told him Billboard listed LIH as the A-side so he changed his label.

Of course within days LIH was climbing the charts so he would have changed his label soon enough without my input. I was surprised that neither he nor his distributor had referenced Billboard. However all the local teen-oriented stations were playing both sides.

It was at a local record-hop that had a radio DJ playing the records that I first learned about white promo copies with the same song on both sides. I requested TNSUN and the DJ apologized explaining that he only had the white promo copy with LIH on both sides. I was in awe when he showed it to me!
    Last edited by johnjeb; 08-15-2019 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    The song really is beneath Smokey's talent as a lyricist. Not sure what he was thinking but he lucked up with this one anyhow since it did give him another big hit on his resume.
    When I first learned Smokey was going to produce an album for The Supremes I was not hopeful. I wasn't a fan of his work on Return of The Marvelettes so I dreaded what he was going to do with The Supremes. I was pleasantly surprised with Floy Joy, the single and the album - which is one of my favorites. The low point for Smokey, imo, is Automatically Sunshine "I'm yours, your mine, automatically sunshine" - omg! And for full disclosure, I absolutely love "Our Lips Just Seem To Rhyme Every Time" on Return of The Marvelettes.

I like the Floy Joy ReWork by DJ Nilsson.
    Last edited by johnjeb; 08-15-2019 at 02:20 PM.

Have always loved 'Floy Joy'. This re-mix is horrible, I keep thinking that it's going to turn into 'Bits & Pieces'!

I like it.fun song

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I always thought this could have been an A side. Great song. Not sure i care too much for this remix, but it is never less than interesting.
    I always thought that the melody on TNSUN was a bit too obvious to have been a hit in its own right. This remix somehow reduces that and I find myself liking it. It's the sort of thing HDH were doing themselves when they revisited their old tracks.

I don't normally like remixes very much, but I'll make an exception for this one. The original "Floy Joy" is very light, but this remix gives the production more substance.

You can put perfume on a pig, but it is still a pig. The infantile lyrics are still there.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 08-16-2019 at 11:15 AM.

in love songs, with all due respect to Smokey, I've always found the lyrics to be the least important element.

“Your real name may be Smith or Jones, but ........”. LOLOLOL

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    “Your real name may be Smith or Jones, but ........”. LOLOLOL
    "Floy Joy" was released in 1971 when the successful TV series "Alias Smith And Jones" was running, therefore I don't see anything wrong with those lyrics.

In my opinion, that makes it even more contrived.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    "Floy Joy" was released in 1971 when the successful TV series "Alias Smith And Jones" was running, therefore I don't see anything wrong with those lyrics.

In my opinion, that makes it even more contrived.
    And that is wrong because...? It sounds a legitimate use of language to me.

I don't normally like remixes very much, but I'll make an exception for this one. The original "Floy Joy" is very light, but this remix gives the production more substance.
    I never liked the song, but i am very surprised to find this remix to be better than i feared. I still don't like it, but it is not as bad as i feared.
    Dreadful lyrics though.

Because it does not hold up with time. Even in 1971 I never made the connection between the lyrics and that tv show. How do u know Smokey did?

Last edited by Circa 1824; 08-16-2019 at 01:22 PM.

Because it does not hold up with time. Even in 1971 I never made the connection between the lyrics and that tv show. How do u know Smokey did?
    I obviously don't know if Smokey was inspired by the TV show to write those lyrics, but that doesn't really matter. If "Smith and Jones" is good enough to use in the title of a successful TV show, then it's good enough for a pop song. It's not as if we're talking about great works of literature here.

Also you talk about that making it even more contrived. Surely, because structurally each line of the majority of songs has to end with a rhyme or an assonance and to have a metre compatible with the song's melody, that means all lyrics are contrived to some extent.

I remember that show too! I too thought they were referencing the names of the lead characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I never liked the song, but i am very surprised to find this remix to be better than i feared. I still don't like it, but it is not as bad as i feared.
    Dreadful lyrics though.
    There is nothing wrong with those lyrics or anything else with the record. You just don't understand Soul music.

I obviously don't know if Smokey was inspired by the TV show to write those lyrics, but that doesn't really matter. If "Smith and Jones" is good enough to use in the title of a successful TV show, then it's good enough for a pop song. It's not as if we're talking about great works of literature here.

Also you talk about that making it even more contrived. Surely, because structurally each line of the majority of songs has to end with a rhyme or an assonance and to have a metre compatible with the song's melody, that means all lyrics are contrived to some extent.
    Maybe it is the subject matter that they can't handle, hehehehehehehehe!

There is nothing wrong with those lyrics or anything else with the record. You just don't understand Soul music.
    That is a very sweeping statement.
    I just don't like the song. Never have. Never will. It is a personal choice. There is no right or wrong. You like it, i don't. Let's leave it at that.

i'll jump in here with my usual Smokey bashing lol

as i've said in my other threads, i find many of smokey's songs to be trite and silly, with lyrics that just make me roll my eyes. this has caused me to spend very little time digging in the Miracles catalog. Much of his Supremes work i find to be only slightly better than pablum - Treat Me Nice John Henry, he's my sunny boy, composer, dj shows, sweet thing.

Floy Joy was one i really didn't like much for many years. I've come around a bit on it. i do actually like the overall FJ album and while there are a few idiotic lyrics [[like the bathtub stopper one lol) most of the lp is fine. I recognize that the lyrics are meant to be fun, lighthearted and frivolous for the song FJ and it does sort of fit the cotton-candy-sound

I wonder if he if referring to Smokey using the name "Floy" instead of "Floyd" for the sake of rhyming with "Joy". Any way, I have always loved this song and the sound.

He likes it too.......LOL!

I wonder if he if referring to Smokey using the name "Floy" instead of "Floyd" for the sake of rhyming with "Joy". Any way, I have always loved this song and the sound.
    You probably know that "Floyd Joy" was a working title.

You probably know that "Floyd Joy" was a working title.
    I did not know that. Thank you 144man.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Have always loved 'Floy Joy'. This re-mix is horrible, I keep thinking that it's going to turn into 'Bits & Pieces'!
    So you think the intro is a little bit heavy?