[REMOVE ADS]

For any Millie Small fans out there.....Dusty Groove

About Product Images

This image is a general representation of the item and the actual product may differ slightly in terms of color shading, logo placement, borders, or other small details. Used items may have various cosmetic differences as well.

Best Of Millie Small

CD [[Item 927358) Fontana/Island [[UK), Mid 60s — Condition: Used
    2 CDs
    $9.99 ... CD

Millie Small is a singer who's unfortunately best remembered for one novelty hit – but the Jamaican vocalist is a much richer talent overall, with a huge amount of excellent 60s work to her credit! This huge 56 track set may be the first to ever give Millie her full due – as, in addition to key Jamaican soul cuts, the whole thing also features a big batch of very unusual material from the 60s – tracks that are sometimes jazzy, sometimes mellow, and sometimes outright groovy – all of which offer up Millie's incredible voice in a very fresh setting! There's also some unusual collaborations here – with Jimmy Cliff, Jackie Edwards, and The Spencer Davis Group – and the package features detailed notes that tell the full story behind the music. Titles include "My Desire", "The Vow", "That's How Strong My Love Is", "Chicken Feed", "I Am In Love", "Chilly Kisses", "Don't You Know", "I'm Blue", "Something's Gotta Be Done", "Sugar Dandy", "Tom Hark", "Ooh Oooh", "Be My Guest", "A Mixed Up Fickle Moody Self Centered Spoiled Kind Of Baby", "The Bournvita Song", and "My Very Good Friend The Milkman".

Wow! 56 tracks??? Who knew?

I had never heard of her but I bought a collection once that featured My Boy Lollipop and I found it rather catchy, even though her voice sounded like the type you could only take in small doses. So if the entire collection sounds that way, I am not sure I would like it.

HOWEVER.....I see from your post that she also did a version of That's How Strong My Love Is, which I am taking to be the same song as the one Chris Bartley did. I absolutely LOVE that song, and therefore I might be willing to buy's Millie's collection just to see what someone else could do with it.

She sang "Lollipop" on one of TJ Lubinsky's PBS specials maybe 10 years ago or so. I had no idea she was Jamaican or had recorded this much material. Interesting!