[REMOVE ADS]

September Goldmine Has Some Great Motown Stuff

The September issue of Goldmine [[www.goldminemag.com) has several features commemorating Motown's 60th anniversary. I have the printed edition since I subscribe to the magazine but from a quick review of the website, it appears that these features are not yet available. I would assume they will be soon.

Anyway, there is an overall story on Motown, plus lengthy interviews with Smokey, Duke Fakir, and Otis Williams. Another feature I enjoyed was a piece where they selected four B sides that in the opinion of the writers were as good as their A sides.

Two of the ones they picked are ones where I would wholeheartedly agree. The Four Tops' "I Got a Feeling," [[as you guys know I am always caterwauling on here about what a sensational song that is) and the Supremes' "Bill When Are You Coming Back", the flip side to "Up the Ladder to the Roof."

Some very interesting reading which I hope you guys can see, either in print or online eventually.

Thanks for the news David. Will look for this edition of Goldmine on my newsstand.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Thanks for the news David. Will look for this edition of Goldmine on my newsstand.
    Thanks David. I too was unaware of this but I hope I have better luck at the newsstand with this than I did the Ebony last issue that featured Diana Ross which I still have not acquired and probably never will.

in the pre internet days I periodically got Goldmine and enjoyed it very much! got a ton of my most wanted 60's country 45's from a seller in Nashville that I couldn't find here in NYC without paying $10-$15 ea. at collectors shops.

Here's the cover:

Name:  67954514_10162219618470602_1099212113936646144_n.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  78.0 KB

Thanks. We are luckylucky to have you!

I haven’t seen Goldmine around for a long time but will look!

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    Here's the cover:

Name:  67954514_10162219618470602_1099212113936646144_n.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  78.0 KB
    If the 11-disc set mentioned be the Motown Complete Number Ones set, that set was old, as that saluted Motown's Fiftieth Anniversary. A proper Motown 60 commemorative set has not been done yet.

One main highlight of the issue was the three interviews that Ken Sharp did on Smokey Robinson & the Miracles [[4 pages); Temptations [[5 pages); and the Four Tops [[4 pages).

Does anyone know anything about this Ken Sharp? He did an outstanding job on these interviews with Smokey, Otis, and Duke. He even included some pictures of some of their great hits records.

I wish there was a way to reach out to him and suggest that he do a Motown Magic II and do some more interviews. I'd like to see what he could produce on Martha Reeves, Thelma Houston, and either Brenda Holloway or Kim Weston.

Anyone have any suggestions? If you haven't gotten this issue, look for it. I believe that Borders for one carries it. That is where mine came from although it was advertised on eBay and the seller accidentally sent me his receipt where he bought 2 copies -- probably the only two they had in stock. It is a good investment.

I use to have a subscription to Goldmine back in the 90s. I miss it. I will buy this special edition.

Barnes & Noble doesn't carry Goldmine and couldn't find on eBay. Any suggestions as to who I could get a copy of this particular issue from?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I use to have a subscription to Goldmine back in the 90s. I miss it. I will buy this special edition.
    I use to buy a copy here and there back in the day but then don't remember seeing it on magazine racks anymore. I wish Marc was still doing his magazine.

I managed to get mine the minute I saw the posting here about the issue. I went to eBay and there were 2 people selling them. One had two copies. I jumped on the issue. That is why I managed to get one. I would keep checking eBay and you never know what will pop up on it. If by chance I see one available, I will send you a private message.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I managed to get mine the minute I saw the posting here about the issue. I went to eBay and there were 2 people selling them. One had two copies. I jumped on the issue. That is why I managed to get one. I would keep checking eBay and you never know what will pop up on it. If by chance I see one available, I will send you a private message.
    Thanks Woodward and I will be checking eBay also.

I bought mine yesterday on Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    If the 11-disc set mentioned be the Motown Complete Number Ones set, that set was old, as that saluted Motown's Fiftieth Anniversary. A proper Motown 60 commemorative set has not been done yet.
    The 11 CD set is out. It's exactly the same box set [[the house) but with an extra CD.

Although it seemed early to me, I actually got my OCTOBER issue in the mail one day this week!