[REMOVE ADS]

The motown group that-predates motown...

Hi gang,ya know as we celebrate the 60th anniversary of motown,let's not forget berry's first group,yep william robinson,claudette rodgers,bobby rodgers,ronnie white,warren moore-the matadores,who auditioned for jackie wilson's manager but were rejected but young berry gordy happended to be there and after a name change to-the miracles and a slightly wounded ego...gordy tore up most of smokey's early songs,well you all know how their story turned out,correct me if i'm wrong but i believe that the miracles first releases[i got a job-1958]was released on the[chess]label,because there was no motown yet and i don't think there was a[tamla]yet either..just a shoutout to the mighty miracles!!

Good shout out to the group that I call "ground zero" for Motown; The Miracles. Since there was no Motown Records in 1958, their first 2 singles, "Got A Job" & "[[I Need Some) Money" were released on the End label and the 1959 single, "Bad Girl", was released on Chess Records nationally [[and on Motown for a 'test pressing' in the Detroit area).

And don't forget, it was Smokey Robinson who encouraged Berry Gordy to start Motown Records [[when he only received a paltry $3.19 for the records he released and co-wrote on End Records).
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 08-12-2019 at 05:48 AM.

End 1029 I Cry b/w Money was released in 1958. That was the second Miracles recording released on End in 1958.

However, I Cry b/w Money was RERELEASED again in 1961 on End 1084.

The 1084 is more difficult to locate than the 1029 record.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    End 1029 I Cry b/w Money was released in 1958. That was the second Miracles recording released on End in 1958.

However, I Cry b/w Money was RERELEASED again in 1961 on End 1084.

The 1084 is more difficult to locate than the 1029 record.

Name:  Money.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  9.7 KB

I'm guessing End was trying to capitalize on the success of Shop Around.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Name:  Money.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  9.7 KB

I'm guessing End was trying to capitalize on the success of Shop Around.
    You know that End was trying to ride the coattails of The Miracles' "Shop Around" when they reissued "I Cry"/"Money" in 1961. That's Standard Operating Procedure for the record business.

Thanks guys,this is why[sdf]is the best!!

I noticed the credit "featuring Bill Smokey Robinson" on the Bad Girl Motown test pressing in 1959. The next time I believe the credit to Smokey in the artist credit is when it appears on the Going to a GoGo / Choosey Beggar 45 in 1965, a full 6 years later. Surprised it took such a long time before transitioning from The Miracles to Smokey Robinson and the Miracles....

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    I noticed the credit "featuring Bill Smokey Robinson" on the Bad Girl Motown test pressing in 1959. The next time I believe the credit to Smokey in the artist credit is when it appears on the Going to a GoGo / Choosey Beggar 45 in 1965, a full 6 years later. Surprised it took such a long time before transitioning from The Miracles to Smokey Robinson and the Miracles....
    SHOP AROUND had a credit featuring Smokey as well.

Hi Reese, agreed.....but strangely not on the UK issue on the London lable

Cheers. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikew-uk View Post
    i noticed the credit "featuring bill smokey robinson" on the bad girl motown test pressing in 1959. The next time i believe the credit to smokey in the artist credit is when it appears on the going to a gogo / choosey beggar 45 in 1965, a full 6 years later. Surprised it took such a long time before transitioning from the miracles to smokey robinson and the miracles....
    back in the day,it was always..smokey and the miracles.