[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More Supremes lost TV appearances [[that I just found out about)

The lost footage of Supremes performances has always fascinated me, as does lost TV media in general. It seems like every time I Google them, I find more. Recently, I found a French Diana Ross fan site [[in English) that had a year-by-year itinerary of the girls’ tours, interviews, TV appearances, etc. There were some shows listed that I know I never heard of, and definitely not in connection with the Supremes. Many of these were local shows. These are pretty much all from Flo’s tenure. This is not all of them. I’m wondering if I should catalog these for myself and just add to it as I come across more.

* Club 1270 [[A local Detroit show on WXYZ Channel 7; 1964-65) The girls are said to have made multiple appearances on this short-lived local show.

* The Clay Cole Show [[local NY show on WPIX 11; late 1964) Almost no episodes of this show are believed to exist as they generally re-used tapes.

* 9th Street West [[local live show from Los Angeles; late 1964) This was a five-day-a-week live show which was not recorded and no longer exists in any form.

* Les Crane Show [[ABC, 1/4/65) Most Les Crane episodes were destroyed.

* Sunday Night at the Palladium [[ITV in Britain; 3/21/65) Known to have at least performed “Stop in the Name of Love”

* Ready Steady Go! [[ITV, 3/26/65) This is NOT the Sound of Motown special that’s been on YouTube for years. The girls perform “Stop in the Name of Love”. For years, I saw this air date listed and assumed it was the one hosted by Dusty Springfield, which actually aired April 21.

* December 31, 1965 and 1966. The girls perform at the Orange Bowl Parade in Miami.

* January 17, 1966: The Supremes opening night at the Roostertail is broacast live on Detroit’s local WXYZ TV station. I never knew any Roostertail performances were televised

* The Supremes at the Copa [[syndicated special, 3/18/66) Again, I had no idea that there was ever televised footage of this.

* On January 25, 1966, the girls recorded “Washington Hilton Grand Ballroom Performance”, but the air date is unknown. I also don’t know if that’s the actual name of the show. On the site, it’s listed in quotation marks like any other show title. If so, it sounds like something that would air on PBS or some similar station.

Does anyone know if any of these still exist? Many probably don’t. However, it’s important to keep in mind that until a few years ago, the girls’ May 1967 appearance on Johnny Carson was thought to be gone forever until it made its way to YouTube. Before that, it was considered almost a Holy Grail among Supremes aficionados. With technology the way it is now, I’m convinced most “lost” media eventually ends up on YouTube sooner or later. FWIW, I’ve also started threads on a few lost media forums regarding these performances. No responses yet, but at least the word is out there. We can’t be the only ones interested in such footage.

Here a link to the site I was telling you about. It’s very thorough considering it only launched in June of last year.

http://dianarosssupremes.free.fr/index.htm
    Last edited by Bobby88; 08-11-2019 at 12:08 PM.

I wish more footage would surface. I believe on Les Crane they performed "Come See About Me". I think that March 26th RSG date was the taping of the episode with Dusty which aired the following month. I remember reading that during the taping, they were celebrating Diana's birthday. One footage I've been dying to see is the Mike Douglas Show in May 1965, I know people have it but I'm surprised it hasn't been put on youtube yet. Also would love to see their appearances on there in 1966 and 1967.

I don't believe for a second that there was ever a syndicated special of the Supremes at the Copa from 1966. If there is footage, it definitely wasn't broadcasted on TV. Maybe they're getting mixed up with the Supremes in Japan footage from 1966.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I don't believe for a second that there was ever a syndicated special of the Supremes at the Copa from 1966. If there is footage, it definitely wasn't broadcasted on TV. Maybe they're getting mixed up with the Supremes in Japan footage from 1966.
    Yeah, it would have been mentioned somewhere in all of these years. Motown did film some key performances over the years. The quality is no where near what technology allows today, but they exist on film.

Yeah I'm surprised Berry never filmed an entire show during the DMF, especially the Copa.

I have a feeling that some of the stuff in the Motown video vault is better quality than we may think. For the stuff that is not so great quality, with today’s technology it can be vastly improved. I can’t wait for the upcoming Motown documentary, because some of the clips they showed in the preview are great quality.

I can’t find it now, but I know I read on that site that at least some of the 1965 appearance at Steel Pier was televised. As someone who grew up on the PA/NJ border and vacationed in Atlantic City many times as a child [[many years after the fact; I’m only 31 LOL), I’d love to see footage of this if it exists.

And I agree about the Copa. That engagement was so groundbreaking at the time that I’m sure we would have heard something about a TV special long before now. I always wanted to see their appearance at the Ice Capades.

As someone who was always fascinated by their dresses, part of me wants to see these clips just to see what have on and possibly discover some new looks we didn’t know about.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby88 View Post
    I can’t find it now, but I know I read on that site that at least some of the 1965 appearance at Steel Pier was televised. As someone who grew up on the PA/NJ border and vacationed in Atlantic City many times as a child [[many years after the fact; I’m only 31 LOL), I’d love to see footage of this if it exists.

And I agree about the Copa. That engagement was so groundbreaking at the time that I’m sure we would have heard something about a TV special long before now. I always wanted to see their appearance at the Ice Capades.

As someone who was always fascinated by their dresses, part of me wants to see these clips just to see what have on and possibly discover some new looks we didn’t know about.
    If you remember seeing shows at the Steel Pier, you probably remember the diving horse? If you do, there is no way you are 31 years old. LOL!!!!

The Supremes, as well as many of the Motown artists appeared on local Detroit television many times. When there were not on tour or to promote a new release before it went national.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    If you remember seeing shows at the Steel Pier, you probably remember the diving horse? If you do, there is no way you are 31 years old. LOL!!!!
    LOL I meant to say that I visited the Pier itself as a child in the 1990s on vacation and am familiar with its location. It wasn’t until about 10 years ago that I learned that the Supremes ever had any connection to one of my favorite childhood vacation spots.

I’m also interested in the girls’ appearance on the Philadelphia-based Discophonic Scene. My family is from Easton, which is about two hours from Philly and my mother [[age 67) has no recollection of the show’s existence. And she used to love all the musical-themed shows back in the day.

LOL I meant to say that I visited the Pier itself as a child in the 1990s on vacation and am familiar with its location. It wasn’t until about 10 years ago that I learned that the Supremes ever had any connection to one of my favorite childhood vacation spots. …….
    No need to apologize Bobby. He read it wrong. You did say that you vacationed there as a child many years after the Supremes appeared there and would like to see footage. He just read what he wanted to read

I can’t find it now, but I know I read on that site that at least some of the 1965 appearance at Steel Pier was televised. As someone who grew up on the PA/NJ border and vacationed in Atlantic City many times as a child [[many years after the fact; I’m only 31 LOL), I’d love to see footage of this if it exists.[/b]
    Did the Supremes ever appear at the Pier after 1965? I recall that a group of us were going to see them sometime in the later sixties, but I could not go with them because of some family emergency. It may have been 1968 or 69

I saw them at Steel Pier in 1970.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I saw them at Steel Pier in 1970.
    That is probably the performance that I missed. Although in my mind, all these years later, I thought that I missed DMC. I guess it was JMC if it was 1970.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    That is probably the performance that I missed. Although in my mind, all these years later, I thought that I missed DMC. I guess it was JMC if it was 1970.
    They appeared at the Steel Pier right after Cindy joined. The marquee read THE SUPREMES WITH DIANA ROSS.

Well I'm hoping footage of at least half of this stuff is real.

LOL I meant to say that I visited the Pier itself as a child in the 1990s on vacation and am familiar with its location. It wasn’t until about 10 years ago that I learned that the Supremes ever had any connection to one of my favorite childhood vacation spots.

I’m also interested in the girls’ appearance on the Philadelphia-based Discophonic Scene. My family is from Easton, which is about two hours from Philly and my mother [[age 67) has no recollection of the show’s existence. And she used to love all the musical-themed shows back in the day.
    Bobby I use to live in Philadelphia in the mid 80s and spent countless weekends in Atlantic City. By then it was very rundown and remnants of it's past glory days still were there on the boardwalk. I also use to work in Easton and have been to Larry Holmes' McDonald's and I think he had a hotel there back then.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Well I'm hoping footage of at least half of this stuff is real.
    I bet all of the local Detroit television stations still have footage of the Supremes and other Motown artists. Same thing with the stations in Canada. I can't imagine how much footage still exists from foreign markets.....wow!

There was a TV show that aired from the Pier called the 'Summertime On The Pier' hosted by Ed Hurst. There's a photo of DMC with him on the show floating around. It would have been Cindy's first TV appearance with the group.

I am 31, and I attended all the Supremes Steel Pier shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    I am 31, and I attended all the Supremes Steel Pier shows.
    Ha !! Can I borrow your time machine?

Thanks for your interest in my website, Bobby. Like you, I am fascinated by Supremes performances, and I began to work on this TVgraphy more than 20 years ago!

To answer a few of your questions, the "Washington Hilton Ballroom Performance" is listed as in Mary Wilson's book. Just checking it again, she doesn't mention it necessarily as the name of the TV show but rather as the name of the event. I haven't found any further information about it yet, unfortunately.

In the Timeline section, the origins of the information is available as tooltips, by pointing your mouse on the text [[it's the same with the pics and it's detailed in the Timeline introduction, I know, it's probably a boring part to read :-) ), so the Copa show being broadcast on TV is mentioned in Ribowsky's book [[p 243). I am fully aware that Ribowsky's book is the least accurate book about the Supremes [[so many events are mentioned incorrectly, it's unbelievable!) but he mentions a review of this broadcast in Time magazine, which gives a little credibility to this information. I have yet to find this review to get a final proof of the broadcast [[if anyone can be of some help for this, I'll be grateful), or any mention in a TV mag...

For the origin of the information about the broadcast of the Roostertail concert, it's on the site as tooltips [[Timeline 1966 - January 17-29)

Laurent

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I wish more footage would surface. I believe on Les Crane they performed "Come See About Me". I think that March 26th RSG date was the taping of the episode with Dusty which aired the following month. I remember reading that during the taping, they were celebrating Diana's birthday. One footage I've been dying to see is the Mike Douglas Show in May 1965, I know people have it but I'm surprised it hasn't been put on youtube yet. Also would love to see their appearances on there in 1966 and 1967.
    The Supremes did 3 times Ready Steady Go in 1965, and twice during the Motortown European tour [[March - April 1965). The RSG Motown Special [[The Sound of Motown) is extensively documented, broadcast April 21 but definitely recorded March 18. The RSG taped on March 26 is with the Supremes only [[and perfoming "Stop! ITNOL").

http://dianarosssupremes.free.fr/TV-1965-Supremes.htm [[with many pics and links to youtube videos)

There's also pic from songs performes during an Mike Douglas show that were once on youtube but unfortunately deleted since.
    Last edited by Laurent; 08-18-2019 at 06:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post

Did the Supremes ever appear at the Pier after 1965? I recall that a group of us were going to see them sometime in the later sixties, but I could not go with them because of some family emergency. It may have been 1968 or 69
    The Supremes also performed at the Steel Pier July 24-3, 1966 and August 13-19, 1967. Local tv shows were recorded both times [["Summertime On THe Pier Show"). The one on August 19, 1967 is Cindy Birdsong first tv show as a Supremes [[before the Hollywood Palace in September and the Ed Sullivan show in November).

I leave the other appearances at the Pier [[Supremes post Diana) to other experts... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Hi Carlo,
    I certainly do not mistake the Copa with the Supremes in Japan footages [[which were never broadcast) LOL :-) . Please refer my reply to Bobby [[post #21) for further details.

Laurent
    Last edited by Laurent; 08-18-2019 at 06:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Thanks for your interest in my website, Bobby. Like you, I am fascinated by Supremes performances, and I began to work on this TVgraphy more than 20 years ago!

To answer a few of your questions, the "Washington Hilton Ballroom Performance" is listed as in Mary Wilson's book. Just checking it again, she doesn't mention it necessarily as the name of the TV show but rather as the name of the event. I haven't found any further information about it yet, unfortunately.

In the Timeline section, the origins of the information is available as tooltips, by pointing your mouse on the text [[it's the same with the pics and it's detailed in the Timeline introduction, I know, it's probably a boring part to read :-) ), so the Copa show being broadcast on TV is mentioned in Ribowsky's book [[p 243). I am fully aware that Ribowsky's book is the least accurate book about the Supremes [[so many events are mentioned incorrectly, it's unbelievable!) but he mentions a review of this broadcast in Time magazine, which gives a little credibility to this information. I have yet to find this review to get a final proof of the broadcast [[if anyone can be of some help for this, I'll be grateful), or any mention in a TV mag...

For the origin of the information about the broadcast of the Roostertail concert, it's on the site as tooltips [[Timeline 1966 - January 17-29)

Laurent
    Depending on what year it was, The Washington Hilton Ballroom Performance may have been one of the Presidential Inaugural Balls.

Hi Carlo,
    I certainly do not mistake the Copa with the Supremes in Japan footages [[which were never broadcast) LOL :-) . Please refer my reply to Bobby [[post #21) for further details.

Laurent
    Laurent, thanks for coming to the forum to clarify the source of your information. Since you mentioned that this information regarding the Copa footage came from Mark Ribowsky's book, then yes, unfortunately, as you already pointed out, there are a lot of inaccuracies and errors in his book, and I would not take it as being factually true.

Did the DRATS ever perform 'Some Things You Never Get Used To' on TV or a live show? If they did I have never seen the footage!

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Did the DRATS ever perform 'Some Things You Never Get Used To' on TV or a live show? If they did I have never seen the footage!
    I don't think they did. I have never seen or even heard about any TV performances. Not sure about singing it at a live show. I suppose they may have done it briefly, but i am sure someone here will be able to confirm this one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I don't think they did. I have never seen or even heard about any TV performances. Not sure about singing it at a live show. I suppose they may have done it briefly, but i am sure someone here will be able to confirm this one way or the other.
    Same here, from the info I collected through the years, this song was never promoted on TV.

Depending on what year it was, The Washington Hilton Ballroom Performance may have been one of the Presidential Inaugural Balls.
    It sounds like a Presidential Inaugural Ball but January 25, 1966 is a year after Johnson's second presidential nomination...

It sounds like a Presidential Inaugural Ball but January 25, 1966 is a year after Johnson's second presidential nomination...
    Florence performed at one of Nixon's Presidential Inaugural Balls in Jan. 1969.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    TV - No. This came out in the late spring of 1968 and by the time the song could have needed a boost most of the TV shows were on summer hiatus including Sullivan.

Live show - Yes, they did add the song to their act for a brief period in the summer of 1968. Several members on here have said they saw them do it. It was in the act as late as August as they did it when they performed at the Forest Hills Stadium.

I think we all know that there is more and more television footage of the Supremes and other Motown artists out there. I believe that the main reason it has not been released or surfaced is because the holders of it do not think anyone wants to see it. Instead of just waiting around and hoping to "discover" this footage, why not research who has it and contact them about bringing it forward?

Great idea. Lloyd Thaxton had the project of releasing DVDs of his show, that was mentionned on his blog before he passed. But since then, nothing happened.
    https://lloydthaxton.blogspot.com/
    The Supremes were twice on his show in 1964.

Great idea. Lloyd Thaxton had the project of releasing DVDs of his show, that was mentionned on his blog before he passed. But since then, nothing happened.
    https://lloydthaxton.blogspot.com/
    The Supremes were twice on his show in 1964.
    Thank you Laurent. Nothing happened because many times the holders of this footage don't know or believe that anyone wants to see it. It is the same mindset we have here in America when it comes to our classic music artists. We just throw them away or forget that they exist. I will check his blog out. Thank you.

The Supremes also performed "Nothing But Heartaches" on the U.K shows Top Of The Pops and Ready Steady Go.

Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    The Supremes also performed "Nothing But Heartaches" on the U.K shows Top Of The Pops and Ready Steady Go.
    We need to find out who owns those archives now.

The TOTP archive is owned - of course - by the BBC though lots of shows did not survive the videotape-wiping purge of the 70s.

The RSG archive was owned by Dave Clark [[of the Dave Clark Five) and he was always restrictive about releasing the tapes [[apart from the Motown & Beatles VHS special editions in the 80s) but I think I read BMG has the rights now.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    The TOTP archive is owned - of course - by the BBC though lots of shows did not survive the videotape-wiping purge of the 70s.

The RSG archive was owned by Dave Clark [[of the Dave Clark Five) and he was always restrictive about releasing the tapes [[apart from the Motown & Beatles VHS special editions in the 80s) but I think I read BMG has the rights now.
    I heard that about TOTP and BBC wiping tapes for years and then all of a sudden a video tape of the Supremes and Four Tops singing "You've Got to Have Love in Your Heart" surfaces.

The same thing had been said for years regarding The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson and then all of a sudden a 1967 appearance of Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell surfaces. So I would not completely believe that everything from the 60s and 70s were wiped.

I heard that about TOTP and BBC wiping tapes for years and then all of a sudden a video tape of the Supremes and Four Tops singing "You've Got to Have Love in Your Heart" surfaces.

The same thing had been said for years regarding The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson and then all of a sudden a 1967 appearance of Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell surfaces. So I would not completely believe that everything from the 60s and 70s were wiped.
    The recently discovered performance of You've got to have love in your heart was actually a rehearsal rather than the original televised performance. It is quite possible that performance could resurface sometime in the future.
    I do know that a German tv Company bought the weekly editions of TOTP from the BBC from the early 70's onwards and rumour has it that most of those editions still exist even if the original BBC broadcasts were wiped.
    As regards the 60's editions it is unlikely but not impossible that more "lost" editions could emerge in the future. Let us hope so.

The recently discovered performance of You've got to have love in your heart was actually a rehearsal rather than the original televised performance. It is quite possible that performance could resurface sometime in the future.
    I do know that a German tv Company bought the weekly editions of TOTP from the BBC from the early 70's onwards and rumour has it that most of those editions still exist even if the original BBC broadcasts were wiped.
    As regards the 60's editions it is unlikely but not impossible that more "lost" editions could emerge in the future. Let us hope so.
    That makes sense. It also makes sense that someone would have saved those performances for no other reason than that they were great! Too many times people throw away things in the present just to make space and without thought of the future value of the items. That's what happened all over America with things such as comic books, sports cars and children's toys. Now, if you're lucky to find those things from long ago, they cost a mint!

An audio version of the Tonight Show of August 16, 1966 [[hosted by Bob Newhart) also exists, with the Supremes being interviewed and performing "Yesterday". Maybe a video still exists.

An audio version of the Tonight Show of August 16, 1966 [[hosted by Bob Newhart) also exists, with the Supremes being interviewed and performing "Yesterday". Maybe a video still exists.
    I would think so. Unless someone just used a tape recorder to tape the audio from television.

I would think so. Unless someone just used a tape recorder to tape the audio from television.

Yes that's a possibility [[and unfortunatey most likely).

Yes that's a possibility [[and unfortunatey most likely).
    Still I know that there is a lot of footage out there that has not been seen since it originally aired. Some of it is from local television programs. About 5 years ago a show that the Supremes did in Detroit in 1976 called "The Scene" finally put a clip of it on Youtube but it has since been removed.

Yes - the 70s series filmed in colour were more readily sold overseas/retained.

Some long lost 'Doctor Who' episodes were found in Africa just a few years back after having been thought destroyed for nearly fifty years. Ironically the only surviving clip of The Beatles performing on TOTP exists because it was used in an episode of Doctor Who from 1965 that wasn't wiped.

It also makes sense that someone would have saved those performances for no other reason than that they were great! Too many times people throw away things in the present just to make space and without thought of the future value of the items.
    Most BBC tapes weren't junked - they were re-used and recorded over due to the price of videotape back then. Also remember that the BBC is a government corporation and not a wise career move for employees to have been thieving items from them back then.
    Last edited by Levi Stubbs Tears; 11-06-2019 at 12:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    Yes - the 70s series filmed in colour were more readily sold overseas/retained.

Some long lost 'Doctor Who' episodes were found in Africa just a few years back after having been thought destroyed for nearly fifty years. Ironically the only surviving clip of The Beatles performing on TOTP exists because it was used in an episode of Doctor Who from 1965 that wasn't wiped.

Most BBC tapes weren't junked - they were re-used and recorded over due to the price of videotape back then. Also remember that the BBC is a government corporation and not a wise career move for employees to have been thieving items from them back then.
    The CBC [[Canadian Broadcasting Company) archived many of their old programing from as far back as the 1950s. They too are a government owned corporation.

The big miracle would if "Farwell" surfaced. I still cannot believe that Motown did not tape that show.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    The big miracle would if "Farwell" surfaced. I still cannot believe that Motown did not tape that show.
    Totally agree. It beggars belief that it was not filmed.

there is definitely footage of it and parts were subsequently aired on American Bandstand.

The questions are 1) quality of the film and 2) how much "extra" was mary doing.

Deke posted on here many years ago that Mary was in RARE form during all of these shows, especially the last one. for the audio recording, you can piece together bits and pieces from all of the recorded shows. or edit it appropriately. It's much harder to do that from video perspective. If for no other reason than the girls wore different gowns each night

also the Frontier Hotel showroom was not a soundstage like Ed Sullivan where you have appropriate lighting for tv, microphone booms, multiple cameras, etc.