[REMOVE ADS]

Mary discusses The Tears,Stoned Love, The Happening

Don’t know if this has been posted but interviewer really knows his music! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CaYlIw40iig

I love that Mary is so in demand for interviews. I think she has more interviews than any current or former Motown artist. She is the keeper of the Supremes Legacy!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I love that Mary is so in demand for interviews. I think she has more interviews than any current or former Motown artist. She is the keeper of the Supremes Legacy!

The only reason why she does more interviews than other classic Motown artists is because she needs the publicity more than the likes of Diana, Smokey, Stevie, Martha, Gladys etc. They are more selective whereas Mary seems to accept every offer on the table. That is her business of course, but don't try to imply that she is more in demand than those real Motown legends. That is most certainly not the case.

I had not thought about Prince’s “Little Red Corvette” borrowing from “Up the Ladder to the Roof,” but I can certainly hear the similarity now that he mentioned it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    The only reason why she does more interviews than other classic Motown artists is because she needs the publicity more than the likes of Diana, Smokey, Stevie, Martha, Gladys etc. They are more selective whereas Mary seems to accept every offer on the table. That is her business of course, but don't try to imply that she is more in demand than those real Motown legends. That is most certainly not the case.
    You are entitled to your opinion, but i suspect most would disagree with you, myself included.

Mary has become THE spokesperson for Motown!

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    You are entitled to your opinion, but i suspect most would disagree with you, myself included.
    Mary Wilson has done hundreds of interviews. She repeats herself over and over again. Do you honestly think that a potential interviewer would prefer to sit down for an hour or so with Mary Wilson rather than Diana, Stevie or Smokey? They are not so readily accessable whereas Mary seems to grasp every availabe opportunity to talk. The other three are far more choosey and selective about whom they talk to because they are much more in demand than Mary Wilson could ever hope to be. In such cases as this less is more.

Mary Wilson has done hundreds of interviews. She repeats herself over and over again. Do you honestly think that a potential interviewer would prefer to sit down for an hour or so with Mary Wilson rather than Diana, Stevie or Smokey? They are not so readily accessable whereas Mary seems to grasp every availabe opportunity to talk. The other three are far more choosey and selective about whom they talk to because they are much more in demand than Mary Wilson could ever hope to be. In such cases as this less is more.
    Like I said before: You are entitled to your opinion, but i suspect most would disagree with you, myself included.

Quote Originally Posted by zani57 View Post
    I had not thought about Prince’s “Little Red Corvette” borrowing from “Up the Ladder to the Roof,” but I can certainly hear the similarity now that he mentioned it.
    sing the chorus of Touch Me In the Morning. it too copies Ladder

It is interesting now that I think about it. Prince had definitely heard "Up the Ladder to the Roof". They [[Little Red Corvette) have similar sounds. Angie Stone flat out used portions of "Stoned Love" on one of her tracks.

Well I totally agree! People who don’t believe this must be totally super Marty Wilson fans, in denial or plain dumb!! IMO. How could they possibly believe that Mary is in more demand than Diana, Gladys, Smokey, Stevie, or Martha? That is plain silly!!
    Last edited by vgalindo; 08-09-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Well I totally agree! People who don’t believe this must be totally super Marty Wilson fans, in denial or plain dumb!! IMO
    Of course. Not to mention that the majority of Wilson's interviews are on down-market venues that the major stars would not touch with a barge pole. I also do not wish her poorly and understand she takes whatever she can get, but to pretend otherwise is disingenuous at best. There are certainly far more people interested in hearing her talk than sing.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    sing the chorus of Touch Me In the Morning. it too copies Ladder
    Gotta say I don't hear that at all.

The first time I heard "Little Red Corvette", I thought it sounded like UTLTTR, but everyone I mentioned it to just scoffed.

Mary is not the spokesperson for Motown. She is the spokesperson for Mary Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Mary has become THE spokesperson for Motown!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Gotta say I don't hear that at all.
    If I've got to be strong
    Don't you know I need to
    have tonight when you're gone?
    Till you go I need to

Up the ladder to the roof
    where we can see heaven much better
    up the ladder to the roof
    where we can be closer to heaver

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Mary is not the spokesperson for Motown. She is the spokesperson for Mary Wilson.
    Why do you think Luke wrote "the" in capitals?

Hi Blackguy. I agree with your response. I typically avoid responding to his ignorance and agenda, but I enjoy most of your input on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Well I totally agree! People who don’t believe this must be totally super Marty Wilson fans, in denial or plain dumb!! IMO. How could they possibly believe that Mary is in more demand than Diana, Gladys, Smokey, Stevie, or Martha? That is plain silly!!
    Some people just cannot accept the truth. There is no reasoning with them. I think Diana, Stevie, Smokey would laugh out loud if someone claimed that Mary Wilson was more in demand for interviews than them. I am laughing as i write this! Let them carry on claiming that. Their delusion knows no limits.

Smokey recently did an lengthy interview with the Breakfast Club. Stevie does not travel as much and Diane is just not in demand for interviews because she does not want to discuss The Supremes ever. There is not much else for her to talk about these days other than getting poked in her private parts and imagining the TSA agents were violating her.............

Some people just cannot accept the truth. There is no reasoning with them. I think Diana, Stevie, Smokey would laugh out loud if someone claimed that Mary Wilson was more in demand for interviews than them. I am laughing as i write this! Let them carry on claiming that. Their delusion knows no limits.
    Every recent interview I've seen that Mary has given, the interviewer seemed excited and pleased to be speaking to her. So I think you are in this thread only because you have sour grapes or some kind of chip on your shoulder that no one gives a damn about.

Hi Marv. Mary is the one supporting the legacy of the most popular female group of all time. It is nice to see her being photographed so much with Berry these as they seem to get along just fine. If people didn’t want to talk to her, they wouldn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Hi Marv. Mary is the one supporting the legacy of the most popular female group of all time. It is nice to see her being photographed so much with Berry these as they seem to get along just fine. If people didn’t want to talk to her, they wouldn’t.
    They want to talk to her....trust me! How many other singing stars from the sixties still get this kind of exposure?

They want to talk to her....trust me! How many other singing stars from the sixties still get this kind of exposure?
    Trouble is i don't trust you!
    I can name numerous stars from the sixties who could get this kind of exposure if they were as desperate as Mary Wilson for publicity.
    How about Barbra Streisand, Cher, Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney, Joni Mitchell, Barry Gibb, Tony Bennett, Tina Turner, Shirley Bassey for starters. If you want me to name a few more i will give you Johnny Mathis, Brian Wilson, Ringo Starr, Liza Minnelli, Neil Diamond, Burt Baccarach, Bob Dylan, Phil Spector [[lol), Carole King. All of those artists are bigger stars than Mary Wilson will ever be. The big difference being they do not need to seek publicity. Perhaps Phil Spector is one exception!
    I rest my case.

....Diane is just not in demand for interviews because she does not want to discuss The Supremes ever. There is not much else for her to talk about these days.................
    If Diana were to make herself available for interviews, she would be the first person that interviewers would go to for Supreme info. The last time she went on an interview tour was to promote her perfume [[which stunk). She was friendly in those interviews and did discuss the interviewers' and fans' questions about the Supremes. She has no need to do interviews to promote her shows, which seem to sell out without her promotion - even in large venues like Radio City.

Mary does all these local interviews to let people know that she has a show there. But the interviewer usually goes right to all the Supremes' questions, and Diana questions, which she has answered a million times. Then in the final moments of the interview, she has to go into her manic mode to make sure that her local appearance is mentioned, and mentioned enough. That's not her fault. The interviewer knows she is there to promote her latest gig and yet he brings her back to the same old Supremes' questions. It's a wonder that she does not someday say, "Let's talk about today, not yesterday". But that is not Mary.

I listen to every Mary interview posted here. She was a Supreme throughout their run and is is the most capable person to talk about and know their entire history.

Although this is not a negative post about Mary, I will say one negative thing. She has a tendency to change history at times. For years, she said that behind their backs, they were called the No-Hit Supremes. She now says that she gave them that name. No big thing, just sayin'.

To say that there is no demand for Diana today and not much for her to talk about is ludicrous. When you reach a certain stature, less is more. Diana, Cher, Bette, Barbra and others of their stature do few interviews. It creates a certain mystery.

I will continue to listen to Mary's interviews. Sometimes they do contain an unknown nugget of info buried within the same old asked questions.

I do wish that she had a way of knowing what kind of an interviewer she was talking to. Currently, there are a few interviews by her on this board. I found one of them was terrible to listen because of the two interviewers and the other was very entertaining and brought out the best in Mary, including her humor.

Well look at me. I talk too much. Bye

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    If Diana were to make herself available for interviews, she would be the first person that interviewers would go to for Supreme info. The last time she went on an interview tour was to promote her perfume [[which stunk). She was friendly in those interviews and did discuss the interviewers' and fans' questions about the Supremes. She has no need to do interviews to promote her shows, which seem to sell out without her promotion - even in large venues like Radio City.

Mary does all these local interviews to let people know that she has a show there. But the interviewer usually goes right to all the Supremes' questions, and Diana questions, which she has answered a million times. Then in the final moments of the interview, she has to go into her manic mode to make sure that her local appearance is mentioned, and mentioned enough. That's not her fault. The interviewer knows she is there to promote her latest gig and yet he brings her back to the same old Supremes' questions. It's a wonder that she does not someday say, "Let's talk about today, not yesterday". But that is not Mary.

I listen to every Mary interview posted here. She was a Supreme throughout their run and is is the most capable person to talk about and know their entire history.

Although this is not a negative post about Mary, I will say one negative thing. She has a tendency to change history at times. For years, she said that behind their backs, they were called the No-Hit Supremes. She now says that she gave them that name. No big thing, just sayin'.

To say that there is no demand for Diana today and not much for her to talk about is ludicrous. When you reach a certain stature, less is more. Diana, Cher, Bette, Barbra and others of their stature do few interviews. It creates a certain mystery.

I will continue to listen to Mary's interviews. Sometimes they do contain an unknown nugget of info buried within the same old asked questions.

I do wish that she had a way of knowing what kind of an interviewer she was talking to. Currently, there are a few interviews by her on this board. I found one of them was terrible to listen because of the two interviewers and the other was very entertaining and brought out the best in Mary, including her humor.

But she doesn't make herself available. She is not very articulate. She hands out questions that she does not want asked and people do not have time these days for that type of BS. Later for her is the mindset!

Its real amazing to me that Diana continues to sell out Vegas and concert halls all across the country and doesnt have to do a lick of publicity. Thats a legend my dear.

Fondly,

Roberta

Smokey recently did an lengthy interview with the Breakfast Club. Stevie does not travel as much and Diane is just not in demand for interviews because she does not want to discuss The Supremes ever. There is not much else for her to talk about these days other than getting poked in her private parts and imagining the TSA agents were violating her.............
    You know what that was a disgusting fan that touched Dianas private parts and trust me she didnt welcome that filthy gesture. Shame on you for reveling in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    You know what that was a disgusting fan that touched Dianas private parts and trust me she didnt welcome that filthy gesture. Shame on you for reveling in it.
    It is the kind of behaviour we have come to expect from a person who defends the likes of Bill Cosby, Ike Turner and Michael Jackson.
    That man would get vertigo in a sewer. I actually pity him.

It is the kind of behaviour we have come to expect from a person who defends the likes of Bill Cosby, Ike Turner and Michael Jackson.
    That man would get vertigo in a sewer. I actually pity him.
    'Vertigo in a sewer' - hehehehe!!

Face it. You just have to learn to accept the truth. No one is that interested in interviewing Diana Ross even in this, Motown's 60th Anniversary year. I believe it is mostly her fault. She did this herself. She ruined her own reputation.

Face it. You just have to learn to accept the truth. No one is that interested in interviewing Diana Ross even in this, Motown's 60th Anniversary year. I believe it is mostly her fault. She did this herself. She ruined her own reputation.
    I'm trying to face it, Marv. But thanks to you pointing out what dire straits her career is in perhaps will help me face it. Bless you.

Have you told President Obama?

But your interested in talking about her all day every day.

I'm trying to face it, Marv. But thanks to you pointing out what dire straits her career is in perhaps will help me face it. Bless you.

Have you told President Obama?

Yep. She seems to be doing just fine whereas another former Supreme has just had another show cancelled despite carrying out numerous down market interviews.

No, YOU are trying hourly to sadistically ruin her reputation. You have a dangerous pathological fixation on Diana Ross. It’s a sickness.

She did this herself. She ruined her own reputation.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 08-12-2019 at 04:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    No, YOU are trying hourly to sadistically ruin her reputation. You have a dangerous pathological fixation on Diana Ross. It’s a sickness.
    Ain't that the truth!

We all actually wish Mary well in her endeavors; we merely need to strike a balance of the actualities of her career versus the hyperventilating over-compensating of a handful of people who really care even less about her than we do but just attempt to use Mary as an insult-cudgel against other Supremes.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    We all actually wish Mary well in her endeavors; we merely need to strike a balance of the actualities of her career versus the hyperventilating over-compensating of a handful of people who really care even less about her than we do but just attempt to use Mary as an insult-cudgel against other Supremes.
    Well said.

I am new to the forums here and I love all of the girl groups, especially the Supremes. I had the honor of seeing Miss Diana Ross in Las Vegas this year and she is as beautiful and gracious as ever. I honestly didn't know that Mary Wilson was still performing let alone giving "interviews". Based on what I see here on the Soulful Detroit, Mary Wilson hasn't much new to say or offer. I never really cared for her anyway - no real "it" factor. She was basically a background singer for those of us who grew up in the 60s like myself. Diana Ross was and is the star of the Supremes, of Motown, and the most famous and adored girl group singer ever - earned it, deserved it. It is what it is. We all have our opinions I guess.

Anyway, I'm happy to be here and am now going over to the main Motown forum! All these posts about Mary "who?" Wilson are making me a bit dizzy!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Don’t know if this has been posted but interviewer really knows his music! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CaYlIw40iig
    Now that was a good interview. The interviewer knew his stuff, probably, aside from being professional, because he was a fan. The music was the most important aspect of this interview. This is what is usually missing from interviews of Mary and Diana. With Mary they want to talk drama and her relationship with Diana. With Diana it's usually all about her children and her legacy. I want recollections of the music. What was the recording session like? What was the creative approach or creative mentality behind this or that? It's so incredibly sad that when the last of these women have left the earth, most of what will be left behind- other than the songs and albums themselves- will be insignificant nonsense.

Yeah I hear it too. I wonder if it was a coincidence or if Prince really "borrowed" it. Very interesting considering how protective he was of his own work.

There's no way Mary Wilson is in more demand than Diana, Stevie, Smokey or a few other Motown legends. If an interviewer had the choice between Mary and any of those folks, she surely comes out on the losing end. However, Mary secures interviews because people want to talk to her. But as usual if someone says something nice or positive about Mary the usual suspects have to chime in on the contrary. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by annettewainwright View Post
    I am new to the forums here and I love all of the girl groups, especially the Supremes. I had the honor of seeing Miss Diana Ross in Las Vegas this year and she is as beautiful and gracious as ever. I honestly didn't know that Mary Wilson was still performing let alone giving "interviews". Based on what I see here on the Soulful Detroit, Mary Wilson hasn't much new to say or offer. I never really cared for her anyway - no real "it" factor. She was basically a background singer for those of us who grew up in the 60s like myself. Diana Ross was and is the star of the Supremes, of Motown, and the most famous and adored girl group singer ever - earned it, deserved it. It is what it is. We all have our opinions I guess.

Anyway, I'm happy to be here and am now going over to the main Motown forum! All these posts about Mary "who?" Wilson are making me a bit dizzy!
    I agree. She was stunningly beautiful but lacked that special something required to become a star in her own right. She deserves respect for still being out there in some capacity, but it would be true to say she is more famous for her kiss and tell books than for her singing which no-one apart from her die hard fans is interested in hearing. Sad but true.

Are we sure of it? I know Prince listened to Motown growing up but are we sure??? Seems to be the in thing to go "your song sounds like mine's" these days.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Are we sure of it? I know Prince listened to Motown growing up but are we sure??? Seems to be the in thing to go "your song sounds like mine's" these days.
    All we have to do is use our ears and you know going all the way back that people were "borrowing" from other songs all the time. How many of those 60s and 70s intros do you sit through trying to guess "Okay which song is this coming on because it sounds like A but it might B. I won't know until the person starts singing."? I just think we're starting to see more and more pettiness and dollar signs from folks wanting to cash in. Don't get me wrong, I definitely believe someone has the right to sue over something egregious, but some of this stuff is a stretch. Singing the words "Little red Corvette" and "Up the ladder to the roof", it's easy to hear the similarity in melody. But aside from that, the two songs sound nothing at all alike. Of course that never stopped anyone from suing over music these days.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    All we have to do is use our ears and you know going all the way back that people were "borrowing" from other songs all the time. How many of those 60s and 70s intros do you sit through trying to guess "Okay which song is this coming on because it sounds like A but it might B. I won't know until the person starts singing."? I just think we're starting to see more and more pettiness and dollar signs from folks wanting to cash in. Don't get me wrong, I definitely believe someone has the right to sue over something egregious, but some of this stuff is a stretch. Singing the words "Little red Corvette" and "Up the ladder to the roof", it's easy to hear the similarity in melody. But aside from that, the two songs sound nothing at all alike. Of course that never stopped anyone from suing over music these days.
    Prince would have been 12 years old when "Up the Ladder to the Roof" was on the radio, so of course he's heard it and probably many times.

Prince would have been 12 years old when "Up the Ladder to the Roof" was on the radio, so of course he's heard it and probably many times.
    Very doubtful. Not many of the songs post 1970 really "stuck out"!

Quote Originally Posted by annettewainwright View Post
    Very doubtful. Not many of the songs post 1970 really "stuck out"!
    Well, I thought it sounded like "Up the Ladder to the Roof" from the very first time I heard it.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Well, I thought it sounded like "Up the Ladder to the Roof" from the very first time I heard it.
    I get that too. I just meant I don't think the "casual" Motown listener/fan remembers much of the 70s stuff.