[REMOVE ADS]

Dionne Warwick in Billboard Dance top 50 august 3,2019

Dionne Warwick - You Really Started Something [[Tracy Young Radio Mix)

No.45 this week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yde793ZK2z4

Bravo Dionne!

Good for Dionne. I am not crazy about that remix but I'm glad that she's open to it. I would encourage her to fully jump on the Ross bandwagon and start remixing her catalog. In the right hands, her vocals mesh very well with contemporary club sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Dionne Warwick - You Really Started Something [[Tracy Young Radio Mix)

No.45 this week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yde793ZK2z4
    Good for her! I don't care much for this, and knowing Dionne i am absolutely certain she will not care for it, but if it brings in some much needed dosh then i am sure she will be open to more of her classic tunes being given the modern treatment. I hope it does well for her.

Up to 33 this week

That's great news for Dionne, Jack!
    I had wanted to love this, but, unfortunately, I don't, as it has no melody to it -- just the same two chords repeated ad nauseum. But still happy for Dionne's chart success with it! Looks like it's getting higher and higher as we speak!

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    I had wanted to love this, but, unfortunately, I don't, as it has no melody to it -- just the same two chords repeated ad nauseum. But still happy for Dionne's chart success with it! Looks like it's getting higher and higher as we speak!
    You are correct. It is awful, but i am happy for Dionne.

it has prob more to do with the name Tracy Young who also has a Madonna remix high in the dance charts

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    You are correct. It is awful, but i am happy for Dionne.
    Me, too, Blue!

Frankly , I find it egregious, that these music wannabees perform this kind of butchery on the vocals of past performances by artists [[ by the greats like this especially) as if they are laying in wait for you to dinker with as though they are but one more sound effect to apply to the other contrived sounds effects you are dinkering with to create "music".

there I feel better.

Does Dionne have to sign off on this? If so, I hope she finds the money worth it!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-12-2019 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Frankly , I find it egregious, that these music wannabees perform this kind of butchery on the vocals of past performances by artists [[ by the greats like this especially) as if they are laying in wait for you to dinker with as though they are but one more sound effect to apply to the other contrived sounds effects you are dinkering with to create "music".

there I feel better.

Does Dionne have to sign off on this? If so, I hope she finds the money worth it!
    As it is a track from her new cd, I would assume Dionne and/or her son [[one of her producers) probably hired the remixer.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    As it is a track from her new cd, I would assume Dionne and/or her son [[one of her producers) probably hired the remixer.
    oh its a new vocal? I'm very glad to learn that. Makes it a tad bit more palpable, but just a tad! lol! Same principle, though, where the vocal is used [[misused) as but one more element to dinker with.

[[Someone might argue that all creativity involving music is about 'dinkering'. I'll have to give thought to that !!)

Up to 28 this week!

Up to 20 this week!

Kinda ironic that she's climbing the dance charts, considering that she gave a recent interview, denouncing the disco craze in the 70's. She went on to criticize Barbra Streisand for recording, "Enough Is Enough" and said that she never got into the disco genre in order to maintain her own integrity as an artist. Yet here she is with a dance remix package. Good for her, hope she get's a #1.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Kinda ironic that she's climbing the dance charts, considering that she gave a recent interview, denouncing the disco craze in the 70's. She went on to criticize Barbra Streisand for recording, "Enough Is Enough" and said that she never got into the disco genre in order to maintain her own integrity as an artist. Yet here she is with a dance remix package. Good for her, hope she get's a #1.
    That's, so, ... Dionne.

Yep, no changes whatsoever. A lazy mix but good to see Dionne included.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    Yep, no changes whatsoever. A lazy mix but good to see Dionne included.
    Yes, indeed, Mr. June!

this Philly song by Dionne peaked on the disco chart at #7 in 1975:

she even gets caught up in the moment and starts to dance along during the song's brief break , but seems to then think better of it!

Although it was more "beach music" than disco, I always thought "Do You Believe in Love at First Sight" was her hottest up-tempo track.

she even gets caught up in the moment and starts to dance along during the song's brief break , but seems to then think better of it!
    Hey John! Leave it to you to post Dionne's "Take It From Me"! I bought ALL of her Warner Brothers LPs and have LOVED that song from the first time I heard it! I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that it went to #7 on the Disco chart back in '75. I had always heard that her WB material were total flops on the charts, although I, personally, loved it all and still do. Thanks for sharing this video, as I had never seen it before.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 08-29-2019 at 05:16 PM.

Hey John! Leave it to you to post Dionne's "Take It From Me"! I bought ALL of her Warner Brothers LPs and have LOVED that song from the first time I heard it! I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that it went to #7 on the Disco chart back in '75. I had always heard that her WB material were total flops on the charts, although I, personally, loved it all and still do. Thanks for sharing this video, as I had never seen it before.
    And leave it you Gary to be the one that's familiar with this Dionne song! And that's one of the ones that slipped by me in real time , I only found out about it when I at last sought out the earliest disco songs in earnest . Too bad that song didn't have a longer version , say on the album [[ too soon for disco 12" remixes) ....might've gone #1!

Four years after Babs and Donna took NO MORE TEARS to #1 for four weeks , Dionne charted to #15 with :

And leave it you Gary to be the one that's familiar with this Dionne song! And that's one of the ones that slipped by me in real time , I only found out about it when I at last sought out the earliest disco songs in earnest . Too bad that song didn't have a longer version , say on the album [[ too soon for disco 12" remixes) ....might've gone #1!

Four years after Babs and Donna took NO MORE TEARS to #1 for four weeks , Dionne charted to #15 with :

Thank you, Jim. I remember asking you what songs you discovered when you decided to delve into the early disco years. If I had known you were discovering this kind of stuff, I would have been extra excited for you! I also love "Keeping My Head Above Water" and "Do You Believe In Love At First Sight" from Dionne's "Love At First Sight" LP/CD. Polly Brown did an equally good version of the latter as well.

Oh God, Jim, I hope you're merely testing my reaction to "Got A Date". As much as I love both Dionne AND Luther, I hate "Got A Date". Dionne didn't like that thing, either! What a disappointment that album was. The only tracks I love are "So Amazing", "How Many Times Can We Say Goodbye", and "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow". I hope I didn't just destroy one of your favorites, but I had to be honest with you.

Me too! I adore Dionne's Warner albums, and this one is a particular favorite of mine. I had no idea it had done so well on the Disco charts. I thought it was just me who loved it. Great to know i am not the only one. Great song with Dionne at the top of her game.

Thanks for posting this boogiedown. I have never seen it before. Great song from a great album.

Thank you, Jim. I remember asking you what songs you discovered when you decided to delve into the early disco years. If I had known you were discovering this kind of stuff, I would have been extra excited for you! I also love "Keeping My Head Above Water" and "Do You Believe In Love At First Sight" from Dionne's "Love At First Sight" LP/CD. Polly Brown did an equally good version of the latter as well.

Oh God, Jim, I hope you're merely testing my reaction to "Got A Date". As much as I love both Dionne AND Luther, I hate "Got A Date". Dionne didn't like that thing, either! What a disappointment that album was. The only tracks I love are "So Amazing", "How Many Times Can We Say Goodbye", and "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow". I hope I didn't just destroy one of your favorites, but I had to be honest with you.
    I agree with you on this one too Gary! Awful song. What was Luther thinking when he produced this for Dionne? He had done such great work with Aretha and Cheryl Lynne, but that album with Dionne was very mediocre with the notable exception of a couple of tunes.
    I got the chance to ask Luther his opinion of it a few years later and he implied it was Record Company pressure that resulted in those almost unlistenable uptempo tracks. Little wonder Dionne herself was unhappy with the end results.

Me too! I adore Dionne's Warner albums, and this one is a particular favorite of mine. I had no idea it had done so well on the Disco charts. I thought it was just me who loved it. Great to know i am not the only one. Great song with Dionne at the top of her game.
    I'm not at all surprised, Blue. Our taste in music have oftentimes matched!

I agree with you on this one too Gary! Awful song. What was Luther thinking when he produced this for Dionne? He had done such great work with Aretha and Cheryl Lynne, but that album with Dionne was very mediocre with the notable exception of a couple of tunes.
    I got the chance to ask Luther his opinion of it a few years later and he implied it was Record Company pressure that resulted in those almost unlistenable uptempo tracks. Little wonder Dionne herself was unhappy with the end results.
    Yeah, it's hideous! I didn't mind that they were uptempo dance tracks. Luther AND Dionne have each proven themselves more than capable on the dance floor. But the shlock on that collection was unbelievably disappointing. The merging of Luther and Dionne should have been a triumph.

I hope you're merely testing my reaction to "Got A Date". As much as I love both Dionne AND Luther, I hate "Got A Date". Dionne didn't like that thing, either! What a disappointment that album was. The only tracks I love are "So Amazing", "How Many Times Can We Say Goodbye", and "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow". I hope I didn't just destroy one of your favorites, but I had to be honest with you.
    You can relax Gary . That's the kind of noise that increasingly came to be heard in the clubs that added to the realization the party was over! I was trying to be subtle in my comparison to what Barbra Streisand released dance/disco wise, which Dionne snubbed her nose at, compared to what she eventually came up with. In other words if you're going to do [[the dreadful) disco, do it in the grand fashion that Streisand [[and Ross) did. Otherwise I agree with Dionne , best skip the whole thing.

Here's another posthumous song from that same '75 period I was excited to discover Gary which I suspect you'll be in agreement with:

I like to listen to that one periodically.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-30-2019 at 01:32 PM.

Oh, YEAH, Boog! NOW you're talkin'! I love that song and Sister Sledge's entire Philly soul album! Their "Mama Never Told Me" is one of my two favorite tracks from the "Disco Trek" LP that Tom Moulton mixed so beautifully! [[Those string passages STILL thrill me every time I hear them!) The Sister Sledge Philly LP has some beautiful ballads, too. "Give In To Love" and "Don't You Miss Him Now" rank tops in my book!

hey Gary , while I've got your attention, I'm listening to the Sister Sledge video I posted above and check it out : At 35 seconds in , is that a car horn honking?? What in the world? Hadn't noticed it before , you??

The crazy things these producers do !!

hey Gary , while I've got your attention, I'm listening to the Sister Sledge video I posted above and check it out : At 35 seconds in , is that a car horn honking?? What in the world? Hadn't noticed it before , you??

The crazy things these producers do !!
    It's just a French Horn, Boog [[not a car horn)! HaHa! Your imagination is running away with you today!

Yeah, it's hideous! I didn't mind that they were uptempo dance tracks. Luther AND Dionne have each proven themselves more than capable on the dance floor. But the shlock on that collection was unbelievably disappointing. The merging of Luther and Dionne should have been a triumph.
    I seldom recall an album disappointing me as much as that one did. I was anticipating an absolute classic album. What could possibly go wrong? Dionne at the peak of her vocal powers being produced by one of her biggest fans, who also just happened to be one of the greatest male singer/songwriters of the era. I was so excited by the prospect of this album and it turned out to be a major disappointment for just about everyone concerned - Artist, Producer, Fan and Record Company.

Oh, YEAH, Boog! NOW you're talkin'! I love that song and Sister Sledge's entire Philly soul album! Their "Mama Never Told Me" is one of my two favorite tracks from the "Disco Trek" LP that Tom Moulton mixed so beautifully! [[Those string passages STILL thrill me every time I hear them!) The Sister Sledge Philly LP has some beautiful ballads, too. "Give In To Love" and "Don't You Miss Him Now" rank tops in my book!
    We are in total agreement again here! I loved early Sister Sledge. I recall their appearance on Top of The Pops performing Mama Never Told Me. I was hooked from then on and bought the fantastic Circle of Love album which for me remains their finest album. I was delighted to buy it on cd a few years ago and i still have the vinyl album. Happy Memories!